Southern Oregon Coast

super doody

I have been severely delinquent in this trip report. We completed the trip over a month ago.

For the past couple of summers we have been meeting our friends from Washington half way for camping trip/reunion of sorts. We started last year with camping at Rocky Point resort in Klamath Falls. It was a great location but the meat bees were out in force. Making it impossible to cook or eat outside. My friend wife and kids got stung pretty bad so this year we decided on the southern Oregon coast. Another family in our group doesn't like to camp so we rented a beach house in Bandon. My family camped to and from Bandon.

All packed

All trips starts with the obligatory photo at our neighborhood gas station. Our depart time timed with our daughter's bed time for more pleasurable driving experience with the added benefit of no traffic

We spent the first night at spring lakes in Santa Rosa. Sorry no pictures. It was just typical a campsite with a nice loop for my daughter to ride her balance bike. We got on the road asap to the avoid any morning traffic.

Driving with a 2.5 yrd old toddler is definitely a challenge. After about 3 hrs, we finally started to see Redwoods.

Here is where we stopped for lunch. Great place for the Amelia and our dog to run around. This girl is wild and free and loves to pay with our dogs water bowl.

Next stop, Gold bluffs Beach. One of my top 3 state campsites in CA. The road to this campsite is awesome. Its a mixture of hard packed dirt and pavement that winds through the redwoods with lots ferns growing every where like a rain Forrest.

Our campsite

The drive to Gold Bluff Beach with am radio info about elks

To be continued...

Gold coast CG.

Luckily, I book this site back in March. My daughter quickly got to work playing with the sand and drift wood while I took a short walk to check out the waves.

She said this was her surfboard

Walking back to our home

The golden state sunset

It was a little windy so we had dinner in the camper

Next morning we woke up and had a quick breakfast of Oatmeal and yogurt. We wanted check out Fern Canyon where Jurassic Park 2 was filmed before heading the road.

Here are few video of Fern Canyon. Just a couple miles from camp. Sorry, I'm having issues with embedding the videos on this forum

water fall:

Creek

After spending a wonder morning at Fern Canyon, we made a leisure 2.5 hr drive to Bandon. It was great to see all the green lush surrounding and all the different type of RV vehicles on the freeway. Although we didn't see any elks near Prairie creek, we did see some elk from the freeway. We stop at Barnacle Bistro in Golds Beach for nice lunch.

It was great seeing our friends and catching up. The kicks had a blast. Even though the water cold even by nor cal standards, the kids got in the water every day especially my daughter.

The following some are pictures from Bandon and surrounding area:

Sunset beach. Really nice cove. Protected from the wind. Water was actually warm. It took about a second before my daugther jumped in the water:

Oregon beach sunset

Beach bonfire

Highly recommend Face Rock creamery in Bandon. Awesome ice cream and cheese. They have a kid size ice cream that's the size of a baby's head for only $2. My daughter barely made a dent in hers. She said she wanted to have the black one. Toddler speak for chocolate.

To be continued

Camping with kids brings back some old memories (very good ones). It gets even more fun as they get older.

After having a Meat Bee experience of my own last weekend, I found a very good article on how to trap them. It's very simple and can easily be done while camping. Here's a link to the article if interested:

MEAT BEE TRAP

It was great catching up with our friends and the kids had a blast. Finishing up the post with somepictures from the return leg of our trip

Harris State Beach. Really cool state CG. Really well maintained, with hot showers, nice playground for the little ones and cheap. $ 38 for electrical, water and cable ( :giggle: ). $20ish for a tent site. Short walk to a really nice beach. Only a few mins. from the California Oregon border.

Dinner. leftover Salmon.

JR ranger program. Learning about bats

This was great summer trip. Looking forward to next summer's trip and more visits to the Oregon coast. Nothing like a week on the road.

GroovyDad said:
Camping with kids brings back some old memories (very good ones). It gets even more fun as they get older.

After having a Meat Bee experience of my own last weekend, I found a very good article on how to trap them. It's very simple and can easily be done while camping. Here's a link to the article if interested:

MEAT BEE TRAP
Thanks for the tip on the meat bee trap. We'll have to try it. Best thing camping about kids are the memories. Can't put a price tag on it.

Thanks for the enjoyable trip report. We have fond memories of a stay with my brother's family in a nice house at Yachats a few years ago. The Oregon coast is great.

Super doody, thanks for sharing. Grandkids trips will be on the horizon. jd

Sent from my SM-G900V using Wander The West mobile app

We hit Gold Bluffs Beach during our 6 day north coast trip. But we stayed down south at Avenue of the giants. The kids were sworn in NP Jr Rangers at the Redwood NP office not far from the Gold Bluffs drive. Lots of fun. Trinidad was spactacular...... I put it up there as my top pick for scenic CA coastal town.

In Sept. 2009 my wife and I traveled via 101 and 1 from San Diego to Gold Beach,Or.
This was during the recession which yielded empty campgrounds aside from Van Damme where we got the last spot.
We especially loved the old roadside cementeries in California. High pressure dominated for two weeks and aside from shifting a thousand times(there are times i wish I'd ordered an auto) It was an unforgettable trip. :)

Back
Top Bottom