Spare propane tank,battery or generator ?

paclow

Advanced Member
I have three questions for the veterans....

1. Is a spare propane tank worth the $? I plan to go back country camping for one full week in early October. I would rather not travel into town to refill the tank if possible. Cooking will be outside so the propane is just for night heat.

2. Is a second battery worth the $? Can I install cables from one to the next and charge them both at the same time?

3. Is a generator worth the $? What is the most common use for a generator ie Honda EU2000i

Thanks for all your help!

1. Hortizontal propane tanks are about $200. An extentsion hose will allow you to use a vertical tank on the ground.

2. By a second battery, I am not sure if this is in addition to your vehicle battery or having two batteries in the camper. A second battery may be connected in parallel with the existing battery and charged at the same time. The charge will only be a good as the poorest battery. Be certain that the battery compartment is vented to the outside of the camper. Battery fumes are quite dangerous.

3. A Honda EU1000i will be sufficient to run the electrical system on your camper.

All that said and without knowing the temperatures you will encounter, it is likely that your propane will hold out. An adaptor to connect to small LPG bottles is handy in case of emergencies at all times.

It is unlikey that your battery will hold out if you plan to run the heater at night. The time of year suggests that lights will be used more. Some type of recharging will be necessary, probably on a daily basis. A generator also allows you to use and recharge the various toys that we seem to collect these days.

Be certain that your vehicle battery is not connected to your camper. A dead vehicle battery is not a fun thing to deal with.

So faced with a similar scenero, assuming cold weather and armed with stuff I have, I would pack:

a. Generator w/fuel
b. Extra 5 gal LPG tank stolen from my BBQ with a hose as described above.

Have fun:D

I think you would be hard-pressed to empty a single LPG bottle in a week. The biggest problem I have faced is keepin the water full.

Thanks for the feedback. I believe I'll purchase a spare battery with parallel cables. I will use my BBQ propane tank as a backup with appropriate hoses.

Lastly, I will have to think about the generator. Honda is proud of their generators....($$$).

Thanks again...

As an afterthought....I carry a spare 5 gallon plastic water container as a backup...:)

H2O + LpG + V~ = good camping

Usually your battery power will go out long before you run out of LPG. I cook and heat with my propane and have never run out in two weeks of mid-20's weather while camping. Seems like power and water are always the main issue. Sometime a solar panel can be added to give your house battery a extra boost. Unless your driving everday or so.

Back
Top Bottom