Spare Tire mount '14 Dodge 1500 w four Wheel Camper?

Durango4wheelcamper

Hey there. Does anyone have any ideas on where or how to mount a full size spare on a 2014 Dodge 1500 with a four wheel camper?

I tried mounting it on the roof but that was too heavy. I'm looking for some way to mount the spare outside. My tuck is a diesel so I can't really block the front grill either...

Last summer I was out in the backcountry of Glacier NP when I got a flat. I was shocked to find only a donut for a spare...I vowed never to be in that situation again- but other than keeping the spare inside my camper, I'm stumped.

Thanks for any advise!

norcalhusky said:
The quickest solution I can think of:

http://www.wilcooffroad.com/shop/hitchgate-tire-carrier-ram/

Since the RAM bed is so short I would make sure that the camper isn't going to hit it of course, but other than that a custom bumper would be the answer ($$$$).

This is not just an issue for the Dodge guys. I have a 2015 GMC and although I got a full size spare it is a "limited use" tire and since I upsized to 34 inches it fairly useless (although I could put in the front and stay in 2WD I guess).

Aluminess makes a great bumper with a tire mount, but I know they don't cover my truck yet. They might have one for a 2014 dodge.

The Hitch carriers have a good rep, but they will probably block back up and sensors and rear cameras. It is frustrating.

I have the Wilco HitchGate and it is plenty beefy. As mentioned, you'll need to measure from your receiver out to check for clearance. The boys over at Wilco are super friendly and helpful, you oughta give them a call. Used ones come up for sale periodically and are worth checking out. Good luck.

2nd/3rd the wilco offroad thing. While planning the build on my soon to be camper/flatbed, the ability to carry another full size spare weighed on me. The Carrie I bought will solve this issue, plus carry ten gallons of extra fuel. Erik and the guys there are awesome to deal with.

The Wilco sure looks like a nice piece of gear, but I would not rule out a front mount, and I don't believe diesel vs gas power makes any difference.

With a front-mounted receiver hitch, there are a number of options for mounting a spare, some of which have the spare several inches in front of the grille and some which position the spare at a slight angle off of vertical (to better provide for air flow).

Concerns about cooling can be dealt with by installing aftermarket gauges on the A-pillar or elsewhere. It's a good idea to have a quality transmission temp gauge, anyway (assuming your Dodge diesel has an automatic trans), and a pyrometer (exhaust gas temp gauge) is another good idea. Depending on the nature and layout of any factory transmission cooler, you might consider adding a quality aftermarket cooler and may be able to do so with its radiator offset to one side or the other of a front mounted spare.

A front mounted receiver hitch can come in handy for other purposes, too: bike rack, hitch-haul rack, fishing rod rack, cooler rack, etc.

Foy

Durango4wheelcamper said:
My tuck is a diesel so I can't really block the front grill either...
You mention the 1500 and the diesel so I'm guessing you have the 3.0 Ecodiesel - I'll admit I don't know much about the specifics of that engine but a couple of observations. Its the same engine they put in the Jeep Grand Cherokee, which has a much smaller grill and tighter engine bay - so the spare out in front may not impact cooling as much in the Ram. Again my experience is with the bigger diesels in Dodges but always found that airflow is very generous in those designs (hence the need to put the winter grill cover on when its gets cold.

Anyway, I'm on the verge of a front hitch solution for my Ram as well. Leaning strongly towards the Aluminess bumper with the 2" receiver. My last thought would be to check how much payload you have between your front and rear axles (via the Cat scale) - putting the spare tire weight up front may help your weight and balance too.

I'd be curious on your overall impressions of the 1500/eco diesel/FWC as well. I've thought that would be a good platform.

Wilco hitchgate has plenty of room with short bed and Hawk on our 2500. I added a high lift between the two with no issues also. FB_IMG_1483752000989.jpg

I believe my 2015 ED Ram 1500 came with a 17" spare but I have 20" rims. I've heard that a stock rim won't work under there but a steel one from another year might. Apparently there's something to do with the hole in the rim where the device that holds it up against the frame, doesn't fit a stock wheel (only the steel). Hopefully that makes sense but I haven't found a 20" steel rim to test it. The 17" rim/tire is close to the 20" but enough that I've had concerns like what happened to you.

Options include spare mounted below bed, front mounted receiver/tire carrier, rear bumper with tire carrier, or a Wilco. I've got an 8' camper on a 6.5' bed with a Wilco. Works really, really well.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom