Spent a month in AZ in my Hawk.

leadsled9

Contributors
I just spent a month in Arizona, including the bad storms. Here are a couple of pictures.

Attachments

• DSC_03200001_camp.JPG
    DSC_03200001_camp.JPG
    165.3 KB · Views: 302
  • DSC_02910001_whipple_observatory_from_deer_camp.JPG
    DSC_02910001_whipple_observatory_from_deer_camp.JPG
    131.6 KB · Views: 401
  • fire_in_the_sky.JPG
    fire_in_the_sky.JPG
    74.8 KB · Views: 285
That's it! Just a couple photos. Come tell us more. Looks like I'm headed that way in a week or so. Hoped you would fill in on the photos. :rolleyes:

Wow, so long in the Hawk. So, tell us how it was. How many people? How did the Hawk Do? Most of us working stiffs don't get that nice chunk of time off. I sometimes dream about taking a long long trip in the camper. would be fun.

Dave in Seattle

The Hawk did just fine in Arizona. I was there when the big storms hit, with winds pushing 60+ mph. One night it was particularly bad....so I lowered the top and slept in the bottom. All was well. The top can withstand very high winds...and I felt quite secure with the exception of the one night.

With the cold nights and running the furnace often, the propane tank lasted for more than 2 weeks. I carry a spare propane tank and only needed to change it once for the entire month. The refrigerator uses very little propane. What a delight having a refigerator/freezer rather than an ice chest, like the old days of tent camping.

I had a Honda 1000 generator with me for electrical needs, and it's a good thing. The battery in the Hawk decided to die on me during the trip. It was no problem with the generator though. Solar wouldn't have done me much good since there were so many days of no sunshine. When I bought the Hawk, solar was about the only option I didn't get. I figured for the same money I could buy a generator and be assured of power on demand.

I spent the month of September in the Hawk in Colorado, so long trips are not uncommon for me in the Hawk.

Southern Arizona is beautiful this time of year, but there is a lot of illegal activity down there. Illegal alien smuggling, drug smuggling and the likes. I started out my trip in the far South...just above the Mexican border. I got too spooked out down there....with lots of unsavory characters running around. Lots of Border Patrol in the area, but there are areas down there that even they do not venutre into. I left the area heading about 15-20 miles north for more security.

Here's a picture of the security section of the Hawk.

Attachments

• DSC_03110001_hawk_security.JPG
    DSC_03110001_hawk_security.JPG
    138.5 KB · Views: 433
Oh, I forgot to say something about the photos. The first is a picture of the Hawk, with the beautiful backdrop of the mountains. The next shot are the same mountains after the first storm....note the snow covering. The storm litteraly froze the mountain I was on. Here is a couple of more shots of the cold mountain.

The last picture was pure luck. I had the camera out the first night taking some sunset shots. They were nice....but when I turned around and looked again, the sky litteraly burst into color....I took a couple of shots and then the color faded rapidly. There was a window of about 20 seconds when things just lit up...and I was lucky enough to be standing there with a camera in my hand.

My son lives in Phoenix and came out to join me for three days, but fell on the mountain and broke his leg....he had planned to stay for 5 days. The rest of the time I was by myself. I am already making plans for returning next year at the same time.

Attachments

• P12303480001_getting_cold_out_here.JPG
    P12303480001_getting_cold_out_here.JPG
    139.5 KB · Views: 199
  • P12303490001_the_mountain_is_frozen.JPG
    P12303490001_the_mountain_is_frozen.JPG
    215.4 KB · Views: 198
Very nice pics! Love the ones with the snow. I missed that storm, I was working down in Aruba! Southern AZ has been a hotbed of crime the last few years, I would always recommend packing protection. Nice selection of hardware I must say. -Joel

Here's a picture of the security section of the Hawk.

Factory option? I'm getting my concealed carry permit soon, how many of you carry where you are out traveling?

I'd say only pack if you are comfortable with firearms. Do I pack? I'm not going to say in a public forum. You can take your best guess. I certainly have nothing to compare with leadsled.

Peace through superior firepower! Remember your concealed weapons permit is only valid in the state in which you obtain it. So, better to be safe. Your camper is your castle and you have all the rights to defend it. :)

One of the things we all enjoy about our FWC campers if the fact they allow us to get away from the crowded RV type camping and get out into the boonies. FWC owners tend to camp by themselves. Along with the seclusion, comes the responsibility of tending to our own security needs. There is no 911 response in areas that we camp.

Whether you choose to pack or not, you should always keep a keen sense of your surroundings. If anything or anyone gives me a spooky feeling....I listen to my "gut" and will move my camp immediately. The best fight is the one that never happened.

IMO, we could end quite a bit of the illegal activity happening near our border with the stroke of a pen. (legalization)

That...or maybe we should just build a fence?
blink.gif

Not packin any heat here. Marijuana (even the legal stuff we have here) and guns don't mix in the eyes of the law. Toss in a few hundred dollar bills and it gets REAL interesting real fast.

In the end I'd rather deal with the crooks than the cops. Been there, done that!

be safe, all

mtn

<rant music="stars and stripes forever">

I believe we should all learn proper handling of firearms and teach our children the same. I think this is a patriotic duty. Private ownership of firearms is one of the many necessary checks and balances on our government.

</rant>

Really, if you wanna keep talking about this, it belongs in another thread, I think.

It's one thing to discuss the practical merits of this issue as it relates to our travels, but let's keep the politics out of it please. This site is not the place for that.

Apologies all around if *I* offended anyone with my comments regarding medical marijuana (I missed what was deleted) and to leadsled for mucking up his thread.

be well, all

mtn

Apologies all around if *I* offended anyone with my comments regarding medical marijuana (I missed what was deleted) and to leadsled for mucking up his thread.

be well, all

mtn

I didn't delete anything.....

Factory option? I'm getting my concealed carry permit soon, how many of you carry where you are out traveling?

In my turf I don't carry anything (unless I am worried about bears for instance) but if I was down along the boarder I would and that is truly sad that the area is so messed up my scum that its required.

In Bear Country I carry a 870 with 18" barrel, xtended tube, pistol grip and collapsable stock with eight rounds of double odd and deer slugs. Other wise Mr Glock is my sentry.

Back
Top Bottom