Spotted in north Oregon....unsusual FWC /ATC

DavidGraves

I spotted an unusual FWC or maybe ATC headed in Nehalem Bay State Park the other day.

It seemed to have the furnace or other appliances mounted on the passenger side wall and had no windows except the rear door.

I think it was mounted on a late model white Ford.

I have never heard of that configuration....wish I could have met them.

David Graves

ATC told me they had to install one window as a fire escape no matter what, so unless it was one a flat bed I don't think it could be legal.

Sent from my iPad using Wander The West

Howdy

Yes it struck me kinda odd.

Perhaps:

I didn't see it clearly....I was driving and it was driving.

I am sure the appliance wall was on the passenger side....this is why I first noticed it.

The rear door window was rounded...suggesting a fairly new model camper....whatever brand....no other rear window.

The black strip seemed to match FWC exactly.

Perhaps it was a Phoenix......we met a fellow this winter in southern Arizona with a brand new Phoenix,,,,,,much resembled our Hawk at a glance.

As a matter of fact, I did not get a good view of the drivers side......maybe it had an egress window there!

Maybe this was an FWC made for the Great Britain Market ?

David Graves

This brings up a question I've had. Why are the appliances generally on the driver's side? My pickup is already heavier on that side, with steering parts, second fuel tank, transfer case offset, front differential, not to mention the driver if driving solo. It would make more sense to me, to put the appliances on the passenger side.

Good point.

I hope to shift the battery in my hawk to the front right to offset the fuel tank.

I think they are on the right side with the assumption that you would want to look out the window on the sidewalk side of the street, not the other. But the whole thing is a mystery to me since when sitting on the couch you have your back to said window anyway. That's why I know you have to have a window. I would have preferred the insulation value of not having one at all.

Our windows double as an emergency egress....and are on the passenger side so one would exit out of traffic flow in an emergency situation.

Back
Top Bottom