Stampede Pass Subaru Wandering

Since most folks are 4WD pickup wanders I thought I'd show you the AWD way to wander. My main rig is a '06 Subaru wagon; I love it and it's hard to beat getting 24-29 mpg while exploring. Granted it does have it's limitations.

These are from a WA trip just before the snows hit last year. We went from Snoqualmie pass on I-90, cross-country over Stampede pass and came out at Green Water on 410. This was a group of six Subarus. We had a great camping spot on top of a peak, 360 degree views and a great view of Mtn. Rainier.

On this trip I rooftopped my tent and left the trailer at home. Without a low-range it's tough to pull a trailer though this terrain.

Attachments

• subby-wtent-rainier3.jpg
    subby-wtent-rainier3.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 428
  • subbies-in-the-woods-subhuman.jpg
    subbies-in-the-woods-subhuman.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 425
  • subbies-rainier-in-back-war-jeeper.jpg
    subbies-rainier-in-back-war-jeeper.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 428
compact,
Love the Subaru pics, they are great cars. My wife is on her second one, an '02 Outback and that is a fantastic road car, digs in on powered corners and like you say gets great mileage. Keep posting those great pics.

small is good!

A late welcome to forum.we love our fwc/taco,but also like to bike camp,motorcycle camp,kayak camp.Do not back pack anymore as we admit that we are past the age to act as a pack animal!Also it always seems that which ever way you travel you will always fill up what ever you use for transportation! And yes we do need pictures!(i just finished installing a trailer hitch and wiring for our 03 5speed echo),with plans to buy/build motorcycle type tent trailer such as you have,will probably build as i have my own ideas as to how one should be built!)
Drive slow and enjoy "its the journey"
Les Lqhikers

Attachments

• P1010166 (Medium).jpg
    P1010166 (Medium).jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 390
I love my Subaru, but I do miss not having a low-range.

Les, if you do go the home-built route, I'd be interested in seeing your ideas. I'm always up for a good discussion on lightweight camping trailer design and building.

Back
Top Bottom