Stanley, Sawtooths and other Idaho high country

Occidental

Trail Master
We took a week to spend some time camping and exploring Stanley and Sawtooths and then over to the headwaters of the Big Lost River in Idaho. This is where I grew up camping and had my first seasonal jobs in forestry so it was a great nostalgic trip as well as a pretty great trip in general. It was a bit on the cool side as it tends to be up there. We had one morning in the single digits, a couple in the teens and the rest in the warm and toasty 20's. But nice sunny clear days warm you right up.

First post (of 2) is up here: http://www.occidentalist.org/idaho-2017-part-1/

Second post here: http://www.occidentalist.org/idaho-2017-part-2/

37132813404_f37ba13b0b_c.jpg

An early cold air system prevented us AZ weather-weenies from hanging out in the Sawtooth area at the start of October, but we'll make up for that next season when it warms up some. Thanks for sharing your great narrative about one of the West's finest regions. Can't wait for Part 2.
Rico.

Great photos. In August Sioux and I made a long planned two week trip to Idaho. (Including running the Magruder corridor.)

But after 5 or 6 days of fighting the really intense smoke we retreated back to monsoon saturated but-no-forest-fires northern Colorado!

Glad you had clear skies and great views.

Wonderful report on your trip! And, thanks for sharing your connection with this outstanding landscape. The photo of your camper in Kane Canyon caught the essence of overnighting there. I really enjoyed that photo.

Our long summer trip was deleted this year due to home improvement projects that took longer than anticipated - don't they always? But plans were for a couple weeks exploring a list of places in your Big Lost River area. It was a delight to see the area through your trip story and photos. Thank you!

All, I left on a raft trip and didn't get back here to say thanks to all for reading and the compliments on the photos, so thanks! I'm glad I may have inspired a few to visit a place they haven't seen yet. I have certainly gained some inspiration from others posts!

Ski, I hope you can make that planned trip up next year. I'm particularly fond of the location but I think most people could find plenty of things to like about it.

Vic, I didn't do any hiking on the Magruder, but it looks intriguing, so another thing to add to 'the list'.

Onward...

I've seen a lot of talk about Magruder but I recommend doing the Lolo Motorway. The approx. path Lewis and Clark took over the Bitterroots. We did a week long mtn bike trip along it a few years ago. Lots of camping spots, etc. There's a fire lookout you can rent about halfway. The issue is that it may not open up until mid to late July because of snow and clearing the road. You can stay at the awesome Lochsa Lodge and then head up to the motorway.

Back
Top Bottom