Starlink Roaming

Jack

We managed to come up with enough reasons to convince ourselves that Starlink would be a reasonable outlay for the benefits afforded.

From a thirty day trip through British Columbia, Canada, we have some results.

Our rationalization for Starlink: We have just 5Gb internet on T-Mobile while roaming in Canada – 10Gb with two phones. But Google Maps, even with offline maps, still chews up Gb. We also need to check for BC wildfire and smoke conditions on a regular basis. We don’t stream movies and such, but have to confess that we track weather, news, look up local geology and points of interest, historical background of places we stumble onto, search for interesting places to go to next and be able to make calls over WiFi when no cell service is at hand.

WiFi at RV parks is seldom excellent and often barely useable. WiFi at Starbucks or a visitor information center is usually very good but requires a planned stop. Cell broadband, where available, runs from marginal to excellent. Our WeBoost extends the range significantly, but we camp in a lot of places without cell service. And then there’s Canada (or the US if you live in Canada), where your monthly data is capped. For T-Mobile, its 5 Gb – enough for a week, but not a month. Most cell plans cost extra for hotspot so you can use your laptop or you need to setup PdaNet which requires some effort.

Cost:
Cost for hardware is $599 plus $50 shipping. Figure 7 to 10 days after ordering. Cost for roaming is $150/mo for lower priority service and $250/mo for 50Gb priority mobile (additional priority data available)). There are no caps on download Gb for roaming.

You can stop your roaming subscription at the end of 30 days and then restart it whenever. If you use Starlink at home as well, you still, I believe, need to pay $150/mo so you can pack up and travel anytime. If you leave Starlink in one place, you pay $130/mo. And Starlink always knows where your antenna is located

Note: if you don’t plan to use Starlink right after purchasing the hardware, go online and cancel your initial monthly subscription soon after you order.

Equipment:
The antenna unit includes all o processing hardware. The Starlink router is simply a WiFi access point and an AC-DC converter from 110VAC to 48VDC to power the antenna. Starlink knows who owns the antenna and if you want to sell it, you have to de-register it with Starlink. This also means that if someone steals the antenna, it has no value. Of course, there are a lot of dumb thieves out there, so there is some risk. We always take the antenna with us if we run an errand.

The Starlink app (iPhone and Android) is requires to manage the equipment.

Power:
Starlink draws between 4A and 7.5A through my DC-AC inverter. This varies depending on your data rate - if you are not transmitting, less power is drawn. Even at about 5A idle, leaving it on overnight will burn through 40A or more. The optimal times to use Starlink is after solar has recharged your battery and you have excess solar power or before you head out on the road for several hours and can recharge with a DC-DC charger from your vehicle’s alternator. If you have a string of cloudy/rainy days, as has been known to happen in the PNW, you need to watch your Starlink time carefully. And don’t forget that your laptop will add a few more Ah. Recharging two cell phones will draw another 3Ah to 5Ah.

In our FWC Fleet, with a compressor refrigerator, lights , electronics, and some minor furnace and fan time., we could easily go through 50Ah a night – with temperatures ranging from 55’F to 78’F. We have a 280Ah LiFePO4 battery, but 200Ah of Lithium batteries should be adequate if you sit for 3 days with minimal solar. With the rule of thumb to never discharge AGM batteries below 30%, 200Ah works with parsimonious use of your electronics.

Converting to a DC supply would be somewhat more efficient, but it is not trivial and it’s DIY - Starlink does not offer it’s own DC option. My initial attempt was not successful but I plan to try again.

Unless you are running on shore power, you want to turn off Snow Melt. Starlink turns on antenna heaters in cold weather. If it is snowing, manually clean off the antenna.

Setup:
Daily setup is quick, less than 5 minutes. With a Ling-Ling Chicken and Vegetable Potstickers box from Costco (just the right size) I built a simple box to protect the antenna and stow it in the back of the truck cab along with the antenna feet. The cable runs into the Fleet through the front tie-down access.

When you are ready to pack it up, you need to remember to stow it (full antenna tilt) to make it easier to pack): On the Starlink app, go to Settings/Starlink, and slide the Stow slider. It un-stows automatically when you power it up.

PXL_20230707_234921586.jpg
PXL_20230713_012948205a.jpgPXL_20230712_235704728a.jpgPXL_20230712_235810394a.jpg

Location, Location, Location:
If you look at the map of the Starlink satellite orbits, https://satellitemap.space/ or https://starlink.sx/ you will see that the area below the 54th parallel is well covered. Below the 54th parallel, view of the sky can be much less important than above.

The app has a feature where you point your camera at the open sky (rotating as you point upwards) and you get an estimate of obstructions. Starlink will work with some level of obstructions, but you will experience periodic dropouts. For the first 5 or so hours after bootup, Starlink records loss of connectivity due to obstructions and uses that information to switch to a different satellite sooner than would be the case if there were no obstructions.

At latitudes above the 54th parallel north (and below the 54th parallel south), antenna placement is critical – you need a wide-open view of the sky, or at least a swatch of open sky consistent with the orbit of the satellites.

The rectangular antenna looks at a somewhat narrow and partial swath of the sky. If there are other Starlink antennas nearby, observe how they are facing. Otherwise wait until your antenna has searched and gone online for a few minutes, even if sporadically and observe its orientation. Now relocate your antenna so that the face of the antenna avoids as many obstacles (trees, buildings and such) as possible. My experience was that a north-south orientation was almost always the desired orientation.
Below the 54th parallel, Starlink seems to be able to handle a much narrow view of the sky.

Starlink tilts and rotates the antenna as needed after booting and it’s initial searching, After going online, note the position of the antenna and if you can, move it, without changing its orientation, to avoid obstacles for the swath of sky at which it is oriented.

Speeds:
Starlink has two mobile performance tiers. Best Effort / Mobile - Unlimited data. Always at a lower priority than other plans. 5-50 Mbps Download, 2-10 Mbps Upload. Priority / Mobile Priority - Priority usage, priority capped based on your data plan (50Gb, 1Tb or 5T:cool: thereafter basic priority. 40-220 Mbps Download, 8-25 Mbps Upload.

In areas with a relatively high density of Starlink subscribers, speed becomes much more dependent on subscriber priority – basic roamers take a back seat to fixed location subscribers.

Starlink basic roaming speeds, as monitored every 3 seconds by a download program over the course downloading 1.1Gb to 2.4Gb files, varied from 10 Mbps to 143 Mbps over the course of a few minutes in several locations in remote parts of British Columbia where there was good view of the sky. It appears that Starlink adjusts the download speed on a second-by-second basis to provide a balanced response for all users. Because speeds vary so much over even a minute, typical speed tests will not provide an accurate measure of performance. It really comes down to: is the response time for your particular activity poor, adequate, or very good, be it user interface, video, streaming or file download. Starlinks’s own speed test, was somewhat better than speedtest.org, but still not reliable.

It may be that Starlink is optimized for streaming and large files and speedtest.org tests, with a mix of file sizes, does not capture the user experience. This would make sense – many small files imply user interface activity, for which slower speeds are not likely to be noticed.

Screenshot_20230716-181731a.jpgScreenshot_20230716-071429a.jpg

Conclusion:
It was worth the outlay, but there are limitations.

In one remote location with wide open sky, we had very intermittent online access. This was above the 54th parallel, so there just may not have been any satellites within good range.

Intermittent internet access is very frustrating. Almost all programs and apps assume that if there is no internet response within 5 or 10 seconds or so, they assume the internet is not available and cease trying to access the internet. For many programs and apps, you have to keep clicking on “Retry”. Google News and the New York Times and some other apps and programs don’t have a retry option. You have to monitor your connection with the Starlink app on your phone. When Starlink goes “Online”, you launch the program. If you go offline before the news has loaded, you have to close the app and relaunch when you are again online. Gmail has a retry button at the top of the page to force an immediate retry. Google maps requires a repeat of your search to retry.

Site Results:
Muchalat Provincial Park, Vancouver Is., BC, Latitude 49.78
Muchalat PP was the first try with minimal sky - not nearly enough open sky. Starlink did connect for a moment to recognize the location was in Canada, but essentially, no internet.

PXL_20230707_234854210a.jpg

Agate Beach, Haida Gwaii, BC, Latitude 54.07
Generally online but periods of offline for 5 to 15 seconds lasting for various periods of time lasting from10 to 30 minutes. Speed quite variable by Starlink measurement. NNE to SSW antenna orientation.

PXL_20230712_011026462a.jpg

Grey Bay, Haida Gwaii, BC, Latitude 53.12
Generally online but periods of offline for 5 to 15 seconds lasting for various periods of time lasting from10 to 30 minutes. N to S antenna orientation.

PXL_20230716_013943289a.jpg

Prudhomme Lake PP, BC, Latitude 53.12
Generally online but periods of offline for 5 to 15 seconds lasting for various periods of time lasting from10 to 30 minutes. N - S antenna orientation.

Bonus Lake Rec Area, BC, Latitude 55.61
Half open sky (note trees on left), but significant obstruction in N-S swath. Intermittent service.

PXL_20230720_160030035a.jpg

Deese Lake, BC, Latitude 58.44
Mostly open sky, always online -probably not may other Starlink users. NE-SW antenna orientation.

Watson Lake YT, Latitude 60.06:
At an RV park. Mostly open sky, but about 6 nearby antennas and some are probably priority roaming. Very intermittent service. NE-SW

Screenshot_20230722-190224.jpg

Bucking Horse River PP, BC, Latitude 57.23
Very intermittent service. The first picture is our campsite. Note the antenna orientation, N-S, is obstructed by a tree. The second picture is a campsite that would probably have provided better service

PXL_20230725_145224705a.jpgPXL_20230725_153343158a.jpg

Smokey Point WA, Latitude 48.17
Narrow N-S sky view but connected reliably for about an hour, then some dropout. Well populated area but not urban.

PXL_20230729_022641306a.jpgScreenshot_20230728-150716.jpgScreenshot_20230728-194203.jpg

Jack, thanks for the report as I've been considering this for our cabin in northern BC. A question/clarification. You mention power usage of 4-7.5A through your DC-AC inverter. Is that on the DC or AC side? That is, 4A at 12V (48W) or 4A at 120V (480W)? I'm presuming the first (48W) is more likely otherwise it would be a huge power hog. We're on 100% solar so it makes a big difference to our power usage.

Thanks,

Atlin said:
Jack, thanks for the report as I've been considering this for our cabin in northern BC. A question/clarification. You mention power usage of 4-7.5A through your DC-AC inverter. Is that on the DC or AC side? That is, 4A at 12V (48W) or 4A at 120V (480W)? I'm presuming the first (48W) is more likely otherwise it would be a huge power hog. We're on 100% solar so it makes a big difference to our power usage.

Thanks,
The 4A to 7.5A is at 12V DC - read from my battery monitor, so it includes inverter losses..

You can download the app without getting Starlink and use the app to take a view of your sky to check for obstacles.

Thanks. We're on a hilltop with a very clear view of the sky, so should have no issues. But if we go that route, it would be wise to download and check before spending the bucks on equipment. I would actually like to be able to move the setup seasonally between our cabin and house, but a bit reluctant to spend the monthly fee for a full year (compared to our current cost of about $50/month for internet, though the current internet is somewhat intermittent).

Thanks for the very detailed report. We’ve just started to consider Starlink and your write up really fills in a lot of the blanks. We are just completing a trip to Alaska and staying connected has been very frustrating. Having T-Mobile we were aware of the roaming limitations and lack of T-Mobile towers in Alaska so we took a wireless router with an AT&T data plan. The AT&T service maps looked a lot better than the reality. While in Alaska using throttled T-Mobile was oftentimes better than using AT&T. T-Mobile partners with GCI in Alaska for roaming but after the first billing cycle was over they started sending messages saying that we were roaming too much and that if we continued our service would be terminated. On top of that we discovered that our AT&T data plan did not work in Canada. All this left us relying heavily upon finding free WiFi.

I saw a lot of Starlink users in Alaska, I wonder how well it worked. If any members have used it in the far north I would love to hear from you.

Just spent two weeks in BC (Prince George/Quesnel/Nazko area) and Verizon worked quite well. Unlimited data (i think it was 5G for a while then dropped to 2G) but I had no difficulty in hooking up through Telus and Bell cell towers and could get all the sites and videos i needed. Did not have my WeBoost with me which would have helped, but worked fine without it too.

Northern BC at the moment (PG, Mnt Robson area) with my new StarLink. Using it in ROAM mode, it set up in just a few minutes. getting 140Mbps down, 15 up. Will be using it for zoom work calls this week. MUCH better than cell coverage (none) in a lot of places.

Vic

Vic Harder said:
Northern BC at the moment (PG, Mnt Robson area) with my new StarLink. Using it in ROAM mode, it set up in just a few minutes. getting 140Mbps down, 15 up. Will be using it for zoom work calls this week. MUCH better than cell coverage (none) in a lot of places.

Vic
Not too surprised you are using Starlink. We have good friends in McBride, the mayor in fact, by the way.

And a big thanks for signing on as a moderator.

We're hooked on Starlink, EM notwithstanding.

We competed an October trip through the remoter parts of Nevada, Utah, and Southern California. We had cell service in some places and stopped at some RV parks (laundry and showers or "in transit").

We meander, occasionally 2 nights in one spot, sometimes 25 mi a day, but seldom more than 200 mi/day unless "in transit". For internet, no streaming, no social media, but lots of questions about what we have seen or where we are (or might be) going - maps, background info, geological, historical questions and such.

Only about 1 on 5 RV Parks has reasonable WiFi, at least in the rural areas we prefer. T-Mobile limits Canada roaming to a paltry 5Gb of high speed. We also have Visible with 50Gb ($30) - but restricted to 5mb/s. We prefer our laptops for browsing, but T-Mobile now detects PdaNet+, so there is no bypassing T-Mobile's 5Gb limit everywhere.

Starlink setup and take down takes about 5 min each. We have the 150' cable, but so far the 75' cable has been sufficient.

For two or three night escapes from Portland, we don't un-pause unless we are near the end of our billing cycle. If you cross into the next billing cycle, you are billed for the whole 30 days, to the end of your cycle. We have the 3rd of the month marked on our calendar to make sure to pause before the 4th if we don't need Starlink.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom