Starting the Search.

Pete

I have been interested in alaskans for quite a few years but there has been a list of other stuff that needed to get done first on the truck. A little background: i first saw the truck parked at a repair shop about 10 years ago and i know it was special right away. It took 2 years to get it but i was persitant and i have been using it yearly when i am back in the states (We live in japan.) i love this old truck and it is truly one of a kind. 1965 crew cab d200 with a posi 1 ton rear axle. Stall tool boxes, T-bar seats, power steeing, power brakes, a/c all installed at the time of purchase. The guy that set this thing up went all out and had it set up with an alaskan which was unfortunately sold separately. The truck is about to turn 50,000 miles and with a bit more work will be in tip top shape. We are a family of 4 with kids ages 6 and 2. i'm not looking for a show piece just something in good usable condition that needs very little to get into action. This will be our travelling home in the U.S. whenever we come back whether we are camping or visiting freinds and family. We want a/c. I know next to nothing about campers so fill me in.

If I understand correctly sleeping 4 will more or less require a cab over and 8' would be the max for the bed on my truck. Actually I would prefer to keep the camper inside the bed but there are not many 7' models floating around out there.

Where to look?

What will i need to get in on the truck for initial transport?

What questions should i ask the seller? I'm located in the south and would be more than willing to travel anywhere given that the truck was a sure thing.

What changes were made over the years? I'm looking for a similar vintage to the truck itself but if say a 71 is better structurally than a 65 with little to no other differences then I'd tailor my search towards a later model.

What other questions should I be asking?

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts and continuing to browse the forum.

Best!

Pete

The earlier models in the 68-74 or 5 were done with ash plywood interiors...

I'm not quite sure what year they started using laminates and photo/vinyl ply but it was a mistake and they went back to wood after a short time.

Cabover is definitely for a family of four....although my family of four did well with a 10'NCO...the children came out just fine :rolleyes: I think

If you have a short bed crew cab you need to stay with the 8' at max

Watch out for wood staining at the front of the cab-over section...the seals weren't real good and water intrusion was prevalent...damaging the framework....see other threads for activity on that front

be prepared to do a bit of repair...unless you find something like Robert found....you've heard the story about hens teeth....luck run amok....

Stick with it...this is a great site for Q&A....

The alaskan site is good for nationwide ad's...craigslist is good....southwestern states will have some good units...dry, warm climate

Back
Top Bottom