"Stealth Camping" in the East with a Pop-Top?

LiveLifeNow

Advanced Member
This is a specialized question which may not be relevant to folks fortunate enough to live in the West, with all of its wide open spaces.

I live on the East Coast and am thinking of getting a pop-up. Here on the East Coast, RV and van dwellers sometimes lack a good camping spot while traveling through urban areas, resulting in "stealth camping" (parking overnight on the street in residential areas, hotel parking lots, etc.)

Raising the pop-top while stealth camping would draw a lot of unwelcome attention. Has anyone tried stealth camping with the pop-top in the down position? Is it possible to get a good night's sleep on the settee or even the floor with the top down? Is there sufficient ventilation in warm weather? I have a tent camping background, so this possibility sounds interesting.

Hope I am not annoying you guys with a flood of questions, but I am a newbie and was just introduced to the truck camper concept, and I am fascinated by all the possibilities.

Just a few days ago, I was thinking of buying a big Roadtrek RV. What a contrast!

I have the full sized roll over couch in my Hawk and I'm 6'3". No problem doing anything short of cooking with the top down. I can sleep without rolling over the couch into a double bed. Which can be done while remaining inside the camper, if I wanted a double. For ventilation I open up the turnbuckle doors and the roof vent with fantastic fan if further needed. You could also open the side windows a crack if needed, but I never do.

I've done it in my Alaskan. A good roof vent fan is vital. I just use my old backpacking mattress on the floor.
Some campers are usable when the top is down, some aren't. In my Alaskan I can get to all the storage and even use the toilet. I can't cook, but I can get to the fridge. Cold beer is also vital
Some campers are made so that you can't even get inside unless you pop the top. The large XPCamper is an example.

Sent from my iPad using Wander The West

I assume you have parks back east? Hang out till closing with top up, cook, bathe in comfort, etc. Then prep the space so all you have to do is jump in to sleep. Drive to a quiet area, hop in the back without lights and sleep well. I think it is very doable, but you have to think outside the box. Can't be storing stuff in the aisle if you need to sleep there.

Sent from my iPad using Wander The West

Hi...also new here and was thinking about the same thing. I would think that a camper with the front dinette would be quite comfortable for sleeping with the top down. A 6 footer like me would be able to stretch out better.

After a while you get a little more daring. If there are no "no parking" or "no camping signs", hang out until it's late leave early no problem. Go get late night dinner at a bar and ask around, the best advice I got is "You can stay at the ball park, no one will bother you there and they keep the restrooms open". I camped behind the left field wall. In the morning the care taker just waved hi on my way back from the restroom while he started the water sprinklers. Another time I found a lot of trucks parked, most were staying in local motels, and camped behind one. All night trucks were driving by compression breaking. Turned out in the morning I was just off the exit ramp on US 101. One late night I just crawled onto the rollover couch. Didn't sleep real good, I think I spent too much time in the bar talking with Denali climbers in Talkeetna. The west is better, I'm told that in CA you can legal camp on any highway pull-out as long as there are no signs. BC and Alaska are really nice, all the roads have gravel pits about every 20 mi that are great for camping. I think you just get more daring, what can they do except wake you up and tell you to leave.

I built my shell FWC Grandby with my bed down across the front. One reason was to stealth camp when needed. Only real disadvantage is that I cannot sit up in bed and cannot stand to pee.

I can cook as needed sitting on the floor using my backpacking stove (I only boil water inside).

For ventilation I have a MaxxFan that is unnoticeable running outside unless at high speed, cracked side window, and portable 12 volt fan if needed.

I've stealth camped a couple of times on my way to North Carolina. I just find a place where I blend in, go right in the back and go to bed. When i get up, I get out and leave. I do my evening & morning chores elsewhere so all I do is sleep where parked in stealth mode.

jim

we live on the east coase and designed our Bobcat so that we could stealth camp. We have done it several times.

We find a good parking spot, hangout in a restaurant into the evening, get one last good pee, and then head back to the truck and quietly climb in the back. My partner sleeps on the bench on the passenger side and I sleep on the floor. We make sure not to have any lights on and we open the vents for some air. In the morning we head to a coffee shop and use their facilities.

Works well, especially when it isn't too hot.

Tell them you drank more than you intended and BOOM, you were just being responsible. Wal-Mart is known to tolerate anyone parking for one night only, probably good for business.

"The frequently asked question below is from the Walmart Corporateweb site regarding RV parking at Walmart stores.
Question
Can I park my RV at a Walmart store?

Answer
While we do not offer electrical service or accommodations typically necessary for RV customers, Walmart values RV travelers and considers them among our best customers. Consequently, we do permit RV parking on our store lots as we are able. Permission to park is extended by individual store managers, based on availability of parking space and local laws. Please contact management in each store to ensure accommodations before parking your RV."

LiveLifeNow where on the East Coast are you located? I'm sure there are several of us (me included) who would be glad to show you our arrangements and see if it works for you...

smlobx said:
LiveLifeNow where on the East Coast are you located? I'm sure there are several of us (me included) who would be glad to show you our arrangements and see if it works for you...
I live in New York City. I would enjoy the opportunity to see the various rigs owned by folks on this list.

Be aware in the Florida Keys particularly Key West, law enforcement will ticket you for overnight camping in a parking lot. Any RV seen in a parking lot of a store is presumed camping if present after close of business.

LiveLifeNow I live in Virginia, near Roanoke. If you are ever near me I would be happy to show you.
Overland Expo East will be in a few weeks in Ashville, NC and there will literally be hundreds of various rigs for you to look at...

Although I am in the west, I have stealth camped several times. I have had good luck in strip malls especially near grocery stores and Starbucks. Folks are coming and going all the time. What's one more vehicle in the lot?

Typically, I have stealth camped while on the road traveling from place to place. I will drive well into the evening , stealth camp, then leave at or before the crack of dawn the next day. I basically just climb in the camper dinette and go to sleep. No lights. No noise. No commotion. Like the camper is just parked there empty. Who's to know anybody is inside?

My guess is, if you stealth camped a lot, you would get good at it and know what places to use and what places to avoid. I know some folks swear by industrial parks. Heck, you might be able to pop up and turn on the lights in an industrial park. Just be gone by eight or nine am the next day.

Just did my maiden voyage with my new to me '78 Alaskan this weekend. Traveled from VA to Wheels Through Time in Maggie Valley, NC. I chose to "stealth" camp at a hotel in the parking lot. First night chose a Super 8 with a great flat parking spot sort of by itself and with bushes behind me. I chose because in my haste to get off the road I out myself 50' from the on-ramp and traffic went by all night. Including a couple of clowns on sport bikes that decide to max out the Rev limiter. Second night chose a Marriott and made sure I was off the highway a ways. Again, found a flat parking spot sort of away from other vehicles and backed into it so they couldn't see my tailgate down. The other irritant was the bright lights from the parking lot but I was able to block most of it out. I think I'm going to continue this route instead of the usual walmart. It seems to be less noticeable since other vehicles are expected to be in the parking lot.

Back
Top Bottom