Steel plates for bed of 2005-2012 Toyota Tacoma

RC Pilot Jim

As we all know one can NOT bolt a FWC or other camper to the '05-'12 Toy Tacoma because the bed floor is composite material NOT steel.

Recently I read somewhere that an inventive tinkerer solved this problem by adding steel plates to the floor. I don't recall whether I read about this in wander the west or another forum.

Has anyone out there heard or have seen this set up?

If the floor pack rests over the locations of the bed to frame bolts, couldn't you just replace those with longer ones and drill thru the floor? This would seem like the simplest method to me.

I mean - ultimately, the whole thing is going to end up secured to those points anyways.

Hey Jim - also I'm curious your MPG with the camper off/on and your tire size? Thanks.

Hi BSS,

With camper

Milege: 15.9 city, 17mpg -50/50, 20 highway on flat or going downhill a/c off, 19 hiway uphill a/c off

Without camper (its been a long time without a camper permanently bolted to it)

city 17, 50/50 20.5, Highweay 23.5

Tire size: 31x10.50x15 LT Axel ratio 4:10:1

Fuel
Chevron Supreme (not for octane). Supreme is cleaner and milege improved half mile per gallon.

Current Milege: 159,700 Original owner for 13 years 10 months.

If the floor pack rests over the locations of the bed to frame bolts, couldn't you just replace those with longer ones and drill thru the floor? This would seem like the simplest method to me.

I mean - ultimately, the whole thing is going to end up secured to those points anyways.

FWC advises against bolting it this way. Check with Terry FWC service manager for the specific reasons. I know that they have a special plate they use to install eyebolts and turn buckles and wondered if anyone added a cross steel plate to provide a better "sandwich" .

Just curoius, as I don't have a Tacoma...

Can't something like this work?

PassengerRearCamperMount.jpg

Top left is the eye bolt in the truck bed.
Bottom right is atached to the frame rail.

Your brace idea is good for the bottom.
I was looking for what could be used for the top of the bed.

I wonder if there are any 2005-2012 Tacoma owners that have bolted down there campers.

Jim,

Part of the FWC install for the 05-13 Tacoma includes the steel plates that you're referring to. They use the frame bolts that hold the bed onto the frame. Here is a picture from Overland Hadley's build page on the Expedition Portal (Thanks Nathanael). You can see the plates fore and aft of the wheel wells. Hope that helps.

Bob

img1854ej.jpg

As I remember it the early versions of the FWC plates were too thin and they had to build tougher ones. I paid a good deal for my plates from FWC but I did so knowing they had them engineered for the task. If you make your own by guessing what might work you may be in for an unhappy journey. There is a great deal more torque and flex on the plates then you might expect. Also the Toyoto bolts that hold down the composite bed and the FWC plates if you get them require a wrench you probably don't have and won't find the sizing for in your owners manual. My dealer found the size eventually but I think I figured it out first.

Thanks Bob,

I've never seen the plates installed in the bed.

I wonder if you ran another plate across the Back of the bed near the tailgate and bolted a plate underneath the composite bed below the frame, would it be strong enogh to bolt down the camper??

As I remember it the early versions of the FWC plates were too thin and they had to build tougher ones. I paid a good deal for my plates from FWC but I did so knowing they had them engineered for the task. If you make your own by guessing what might work you may be in for an unhappy journey. There is a great deal more torque and flex on the plates then you might expect. Also the Toyoto bolts that hold down the composite bed and the FWC plates if you get them require a wrench you probably don't have and won't find the sizing for in your owners manual. My dealer found the size eventually but I think I figured it out first.

Thanks Hittherroad,
I'm just doing research for a friend who asked me why I was buying an '05-'06 Tundra when the Tacomas are newer and the same width. I replied Tundra access cabs have a steel bed and are the just about the same width as the new Tacoma's.

I really like the composite bed on the Gen2 Tacoma, as it is super tough. But I would not consider having a camper mounted without the mounting plates that FWC makes. I guess if the camper was bolted through the floor to the frame that would be okay. But I would not feel comfortable with an eye bolt through the bed.

Here is a picture from Overland Hadley's build page on the Expedition Portal (Thanks Nathanael).

:cool:

I also like the composite bed in the 2nd gen Tacoma. It is very tough and not subject to dents and rust. Our camper is attached with turnbuckles to 4 steel plates that are bolted through the bed into the frame, using the factory bolts. ATC uses a different design to the plates than FWC but it is a similar idea. The ATC system does not result in the camper sitting on the plates so no bed pad is needed. I like this as it allows water to easily drain away from under camper floor. The mounting system has been very satisfactory. Sorry, no pics as the camper is currently installed in the truck.

I also like the composite bed in the 2nd gen Tacoma. It is very tough and not subject to dents and rust. Our camper is attached with turnbuckles to 4 steel plates that are bolted through the bed into the frame, using the factory bolts. ATC uses a different design to the plates than FWC but it is a similar idea. The ATC system does not result in the camper sitting on the plates so no bed pad is needed. I like this as it allows water to easily drain away from under camper floor. The mounting system has been very satisfactory. Sorry, no pics as the camper is currently installed in the truck.

Takeiteasy,
Enjoyed your blog on the whitewhater state park.

I had another idea on securing the FWC to the 2nd Gen Tacomas. In the new Jan 2013 issue of Trailer Life Magazine page 56 there is an article on a new Granby mounted on a Ford 350. The writer is using an external HappyJack system to hold it down. I have seen this system on other FWC/ATC units. This was the same system I used with my Lance on my old Silverado in the late '80's.

What prompted this topic is my search for a 2006 Tundra access cab 4x4. My 2012 Eagle will fit on it or a new Tacoma. With my injured back it is to difficult for me to deal with the inside turnbuckles, so I had given up on the new Tacoma and switched to the Tundra because it has a steel bed. And I leave the camper on full time.

Does anyone have experience with the external tiedown system?

Hey everyone - this is the way to go with a newer Tacoma. I made my own with the help pf a friend (a student in Sculpture) and they work just as well as the FWC units. All of the other ideas for dealing with the composite bed don't hold a candle to this system. That's my frank opinion anyway.
Cheers,
tom

Jim,

Part of the FWC install for the 05-13 Tacoma includes the steel plates that you're referring to. They use the frame bolts that hold the bed onto the frame. Here is a picture from Overland Hadley's build page on the Expedition Portal (Thanks Nathanael). You can see the plates fore and aft of the wheel wells. Hope that helps.

Bob

img1854ej.jpg

Hey everyone - this is the way to go with a newer Tacoma. I made my own with the help pf a friend (a student in Sculpture) and they work just as well as the FWC units. All of the other ideas for dealing with the composite bed don't hold a candle to this system. That's my frank opinion anyway.
Cheers,
tom

Thanks Tom,
Do you have pictures of your system? or were you referring to Bob's cross metal plates picture?

Thanks for the clarification.

We can use the Tork-Lift external camper tie downs on most trucks.

External tie downs usually run $ 695.00 for new camper installation (compared to the $ 495.00 for the internal tacoma tie downs).

Tork-Lift has external camper tie downs available for the 2005 - 2012 Toyota Tacoma trucks and also the 2000 - 2006 Toyota Tundra Access Cab trucks.

(see sample pictures attached)

They seem to work well, as long as you don't mind the camper tie downs on the outside of the truck.

To keep the cost down, we normally use Tork-Lift frame mount for the front tie downs, and the stainless steel button on the rear bumper for the rear tie downs.

But we can order both front & rear Tork-Lift tie downs for an additional cost if the customer would prefer this.

Let me know if you need any additional information or pictures.

thanks

:)

Does anyone have experience with the external tiedown system?

Attachments

• external tie downs on a tacoma.JPG
    external tie downs on a tacoma.JPG
    53.3 KB · Views: 1,585
  • Finch on Tacoma with 5' Bed #3.JPG
    Finch on Tacoma with 5' Bed #3.JPG
    83.5 KB · Views: 322
  • P1010001111.JPG
    P1010001111.JPG
    72.6 KB · Views: 309
  • P10100022222.JPG
    P10100022222.JPG
    86.3 KB · Views: 236
We can use the Tork-Lift external camper tie downs on most trucks.

External tie downs usually run $ 695.00 for new camper installation (compared to the $ 495.00 for the internal tacoma tie downs).

Tork-Lift has external camper tie downs available for the 2005 - 2012 Toyota Tacoma trucks and also the 2000 - 2006 Toyota Tundra Access Cab trucks.

They seem to work well, as long as you don't mind the camper tie downs on the outside of the truck.

To keep the cost down, we normally use Tork-Lift frame mount for the front tie downs, and the stainless steel button on the rear bumper for the rear tie downs.

My Eagle was originally on a Toyota mounted with the external tie downs as described. He used those for the 5 years he had the Eagle with no problems. I still have a set of the spring loaded ties that are of no use on my Ranger if anyone is interested.

I used the complete Totklift tiedown system on my 2006 Tacoma short bed carrying a 2010 Phoenix camper. It was a very stable, tight, bulletproof system. I had no worries about my composite bed because the Torklifts attached directly to be frame. You can install the complete system in under 2 hours. They're pretty expensive, but after spending the money on a camper and pickup, it's a small part of the cost. Piece of mind for a solid tiedown system is priceless.
You can see the rear tiedowns in this pic:
P1000137.jpg

Front tiedowns:
P1000138.jpg

Back
Top Bottom