Still have something you had as a kid?

craig333

Riley's Human
My "best" ideas come in the shower. I puchased this soldering gun from Radio Shack probably about 68-69? Many tips later, some black tape repairs, lots of lead fumes inhaled it still works.

craig333 said:
My "best" ideas come in the shower. I puchased this soldering gun from Radio Shack probably about 68-69? Many tips later, some black tape repairs, lots of lead fumes inhaled it still works.

I have one of those I got in the 60's, mine is still in perfect shape and I still use it. I also have my analog voltmeter from the 60's. Most important, I still have my childish personality

20180412_154314.jpg here's mine

I have a few things that are about 40+ years old (I'm 47).

Things that come to mind are:
-scrapbook of my life
-coin collection
-toolbox I made in school ( I bet a few of us still have one)
-ghetto blaster with original box

I kept my BMX bike up until my father made me give it to a nephew.
It got stolen about a week later :oops:

Craig, why did you purchase a soldering gun as a kid? Do you remember your first project?

I forgot it had a light. I don't recall why I purchased it. I remember a big project. Built a heathkit receiver. Didn't work. My Uncle fixed some cold solder joints and she fired right up. Surprised I don't still have that laying around.

Crosman barrel-pump BB rifle. I was 11 when I got it nearly 52 years ago. For that matter I still have a nice .22 cal rifle given to me at age 15 by my mother. She had been given the .22 at age 12 by her father---in 1943.

Ha, I've got a soldering gun just like that- inherited from my Dad. Light still works! I remember doing projects with him using it. Pretty similar tape repair job too!

I have one in the shop that I still use. Yup, light works too. I should take a photo of my old corded electric drill............... :)

When I was 8 months old, a friend of my mom's sewed up a teddy bear for me. That bear was probably about the same size as me at the time. For many, many years, he was my pillow - he's not very rotund, but more flat. I used to carry him around by his big nose.

For a long since, he's had his own seat in the house and just hangs out.

Surprisingly, he has never needed any kind of repair. His eyes, his nose, his seams = all still in good shape.

I also have a little stuffed dog that rides along in the camper. My dad gave him to me when I was in 3rd grade, and since he's only about 7" tall, he was my travel companion - and still is.

Oooh! I also have some of my grandpa's old tools - a drawknife and chisel.
And a pocket watch his father gave him. My great-grandpa received that pocket watch from his Railroad employer.

Well, geez. I have quite a bit more... I'm rather sentimental.
I guess in all my moves and travels, I keep the sentimental stuff and get rid of most everything else. Ha!

Fun thread! In my rig I keep a wooden baseball bat from 'bat day' at Candlestick Park , when they gave bats to kids! Sponsored by Atari I'm dating myself.

Not from my childhood, but I have my grandfather's mint condition sextant (?!) which I also put in the rig thinking it'd be fun to learn to use out there. A lot of my other gear is my Dad's...as much as I could hoover up come to think of it. I feel like a rolling museum.

I recently found my long-lost Boy Scout compass in an unexpected place while looking for something else. Made my day.

I bought it with my allowance in celebration of moving up from Cub Scouts to Boy Scouts. It would have come from the local sporting goods store's display case of Scouting gear.

If this online article about Taylor Boy Scout compasses is accurate, this model was made between 1950 and 1957.

BoyScoutCompassFront.jpg . BoyScoutCompassBack.jpg

I also remember my first attempt to use the compass: "What? It always points the same way? How's that gonna point the way out when I'm lost?" :oops:

My Boy Scout handbook was the 6th Edition one. It's around here somewhere.

Set of Lone Ranger leather gloves, kids size, from about 1956 I think, plus some Dinky toys, and wooden model trains, all from the 1950's.

I still have every 45 and LP record I ever bought, starting at about 12 years old and I'll be 75 my next birthday. I also have an entire closet, shelved floor to ceiling with LP records, along with 2 turntables, and tube amps.

hoyden said:
When I was 8 months old, a friend of my mom's sewed up a teddy bear for me.

I also have a little stuffed dog that rides along in the camper. My dad gave him to me when I was in 3rd grade
Definitely need pics. :)

This is a great thread, I'd like to see a lot more pics.

Ooh, you people with sextants! Neat! Wander the West: Sextant Club! Ha!

Here's my teddy I've had since I was 8 months old (daffodil for size compare :) )

1CWLL71MACD5YOOxtBAoY21IpPAz2fQ4HGffcr-T_IUty-RDtptdIU-1xRe8Y0fN4LCtG_yZCAHRXRcXwLCsm359SyJQSP1gDrUC6fL71TuAxA2Q9CtP1DbAugtposgLXcqQocsNLMG8K83wSgAajtw20EIocAqjOCPgABhf_vzPFbjM5HsONqzpxg2OlnI_RLuH2fMeJc1DAFMUN74kEsIvIYmMIx1CC7hiObV4bbsQhQI2OAT11JQomxSTBNCL35xlytJhEUdMFTIsS7FfrGP7LchlnjQQLyA8sixNRv-cxYhBzXQzuTRT_lUfmChOG6gliZAoge5w6bHV5POrWS3701QpkyTd5T5T4yryuZXSydOWzWC26kx_ECwi8zm9J-aSyzlEOMrcKEBmOfdT_vO3MpQQBi0zamOBMGvM-wrnAm3YNi9c7AFUb8XGD2jdfeEKLhLZMmON3Ts7UhucpNxpPRiqA5_FBDXQsDiEBZ37I8t4vwaBbwBdZrNU_HdHkUeBRSan1VnNPJvyltkR-fdAtFXKZ0T8hTukjhoOaSLfESRFvMwK38a9h8-260ocEeFT5mqlaO2QLwIqqjpv1Jkt495UZmchmicvsxdB=w878-h1552-no

And my doggie companion I've had since somewhere around 3rd or 4th grade (I remember his name every now and then, but I've forgotten it again. D'oh!). He's hanging out in the camper:

XVLeTMXIEksuO41MrXKGjMYy4182W3pPklLXfIfJCu7nERgoIudsS-A5jdIrXNKNpZSb9-mZCQIj3IhAxHBjUj5c-mHjVlw8Sv1V_pdAHKqiVChvnN5sPKVs3IbE4X1IlRyXsUrvHwDSOk0h-5VX8tOmJVbToSr-E1jHqGmILG2yZNYQBRyhotUdSsTa8_-RWUqye5kauh3nDm8o40aBHCmDP7Xhp8Q-l0opevlm01lwg8eoC9ESCtUo21xgaWtTHWoDV0AXssxajWOCbnYmEjVTi2S_NSrDECran5-0QrUtiE7AbAIIsEppsA06i1kPH-ckdU0PQ-WktVP3WTwqaspYCxTMhlAr--JUYYEC1_xtR2TxWmUeD2ixOEsbNMaGw8jAhcZS0uQdBl3fZNA6JWPdOmFqPxc_mZsneLS_ni5LJmy_UlfHOnOXu_qyYo4EBYUzV2xcoe35yXYboPKvfbYyTFYf4GT1rCpU7jSD9BLMB2sJ7Z3kcwL8bYiV5eDKES6p9J1gI4MTsgfxGqnX6i6AKDAzFyo22hwVEhkHfm-xHZRryxN_6VHjfN5z2C1Sc6L-86MuVrRC9y2zY1z84GvkiWYuCgitmEjXYegm=w878-h1552-no

Back
Top Bottom