Storage Boxes

OutbacKamper said:
I happened to be at my local Costco today and they had a skid of Clever Crates for $9.99 CDN each (about $7.50 USD). I decided to grab 3, since I can always return them but once they are sold out, Costco has a habit of discontinuing items. I will post a more detailed review/comparison at another time of the Clever Crate
I just noticed something with one of my Clever Crates.
Because they have a honeycomb bottom I put a small crack in the bottom of one by throwing chunks of firewood inside the crate. So, just watch if putting sharp or heavy objects in them that you don't smash the bottom too hard.
I was able to pop the small piece of cracked plastic back in place and you'd never no it happened if I used some crazy glue.

Not a big issue, but I thought I share that with you as something to look out for.

OutbacKamper,
Any feedback on the various crates/totes? Particularly the Plano Sportsman Trunk? Hoping this thread doesn't dead end with no feedback like, unfortunately, far too many threads with interesting and valuable content that dwindle away without final feedback. Ha.

Thanks for reminding me :) I only have very limited information to add at this time, but here goes...

Re the Plano Sportsman Trunk (PST):

I have only been on one short solo camping/kayaking trip so far this spring and I used 2 of the PSTs. One was my food box and one was used for misc gear and tools. I really like the size of these boxes, the Rubbermaid Action Packers that I have used recently are just a little too big and a little too bulky for my purposes. You can fill the PSTs and they are still a manageable weight. The PSTs fit easily onto the back seat of my truck, barely projecting past the front of the lower seat cushion, leaving plenty of room for other gear. I have noticed that the handles/latches, which are supposed to stay attached to the lower box, come detached from the lower box fairly easily. The good news is that they snap right back on again and seem to function OK for now. Hopefully this does not become any worst over time.

My PSTs were the super cheap version that came without weatherstripping, so I went to my local Home Depot and purchased some peel and stick "D" shape rubber weatherstripping. There is a recessed channel in the lid and the weatherstrip fits into this recess very well. I have not had the chance to test their waterproofness yet.

I like how sturdy the boxes are, you can sit on them and stand on them with no visible deformation. So far I am happy with the PSTs and my Action Packers have been demoted to household storage in the basement.

Hi all- I'm a new owner of a Fleet shell on a Tacoma Access cab truck and I am looking through the posts to get gear storage ideas.

Takesiteasy, I like the floor storage you use as well as some of the modifications such as the work shelf. Just a few questions-- how did you locate the aluminum frame pieces for mounting the shelf and for mounting load ties? I saw one post that used an IR camera for this and that seemed clever but is there a simpler way to do this?

BrianG, you mention you don't like to pack on the floor since you have to move it all out of the way-- how do you secure the boxes from shifting during travel then? I am assuming people put clasps to attach straps to but have not seen many photos-- do you have any you could post of your system?

Thanks! I'll have a ton more questions but will try to keep this brief!

Randonneur,

Welcome to the forum! Many of us use footman loops and straps to keep things from shifting. Here's a link to StrapWorks in Eugene, Oregon. I've used them, as have many others here on the forum.

I used two footman's loops to secure my Dometic fridge. Rock solid.
https://sierrashadow.wordpress.com/category/dometic-refrigerator/

I am also in the keep everything out of the aisle camp. I also use a lot of velcro (hook side) to attach smaller things to the loopy carpeting they used in my Bobcat. My newest mod uses Sterilite boxes and velcro. https://sierrashadow.wordpress.com/2017/05/06/couch-modification/

Here is a post that shows how I secure an ice chest that carries dry goods (critter proof) to the carpeting. https://sierrashadow.wordpress.com/2015/11/06/capitola-week/

There are lots of ways. Have fun figuring it out.

Randonneur said:
Hi all- I'm a new owner of a Fleet shell on a Tacoma Access cab truck and I am looking through the posts to get gear storage ideas.

Takesiteasy, I like the floor storage you use as well as some of the modifications such as the work shelf. Just a few questions-- how did you locate the aluminum frame pieces for mounting the shelf and for mounting load ties? I saw one post that used an IR camera for this and that seemed clever but is there a simpler way to do this?

Congrats on your new camper and welcome to WTW!

The shelf is supported on cleats attached to plywood on one end and to the rear wall on the other end, which had blocking added for the gas can carriers mounted on the outside. I did not have to locate any aluminum framing. However, I did ask ATC to take photos of the completed framing before covering it with paneling and siding so I have a record of where the framing members are to refer to in the future if needed.

The fridge is bolted to the plywood floor pack using turnbuckles. I have added some footman loops to secure other items in the same manner as others have reported.

With regard to storage boxes....
1) determine where they will go in the truck or in the camper during transit
2) determine how much "stuff" you need to carry so you know how many to buy
3) determine the dimensions then can't exceed in order to fit where you want to carry them (inside or outside)
4) determine how much weight they need to carry so you can load/unload them single-handedly if needed.
5) determine which mfger makes a product that works for you and your budget and read the WTW for "field reports" on that mfgers products before plunking down your cold hard cash

Back in the day, it took a couple old plywood ex-military footlockers to haul around the "stuff" I needed until I had a camper that had space for certain things so they stayed in the camper all season long. They doubled as tables or work stations next to the campfire BBQ grill with a washable cover on the top...that was two of 'em.

Back
Top Bottom