Storage in a Small Place

Have you tried soft sided tool bags? I used to run hard sided tool boxes/containers but switched to soft ones a few years ago. SO much better!! Easier to pack into small spaces, lighter weight, they don't tip over when you are trying to balance them on some rock in the middle of nowhere, come in all sorts of sizes, cheap, etc, etc...

I have them in all my vehicles now.

I haven't tried soft bags but you make some good points. I'm going to give one a try. I may get it before I leave after New Years or wait until I get to the big tent sales in Quartzite. There's always lots of cheap (but often junky) tools and stuff at the sale.

I have a laminated 4"x6" card that I leave in the cab of the truck to remind me what to do before I drive off.

1) Close and latch the top
2) Close and latch the fridge
3) Close the roof vent
4) Close and LOCK the camper door
5) Turn off the Lp at the tank (I may or may not do this everytime...)

I drove 20 miles down I-5 in Southern California with my rear door OPEN after failing to check my list after a restroom/snack stop.... Ooppps! Luckily I didn't lose anything.

Okay, the initial list of two items is now up to 5. Three I can usually remember; 5 is close to the edge.

My brother drove 30 km (Overland Hadley: That's 5965 rods!) with his pop-top up. Didn't do his camper any harm but the gas mileage was down a bit. He thought the acceleration was a bit sluggish.

Put the top down, Latch the top. Close the door.

I say this after driving almost 100 miles in Canada with the top unlatched :oops:

Bob,
you are SO my hero.

30 km (Overland Hadley: That's 5965 rods!)

I prefer chains. They really are easier to work with then all the other units.

4 rods = 1 chain

80 chains = 1 mile

10 chains x 10 chains = 1 acre

80 chains x 80 chains = 640 acres = 1 section

You don't even need feet!

I prefer chains. They really are easier to work with then all the other units.

4 rods = 1 chain

80 chains = 1 mile

10 chains x 10 chains = 1 acre

80 chains x 80 chains = 640 acres = 1 section

You don't even need feet!

True but:

10 millimeter = 1 centimeter
10 centimeters = 1 decimeter
10 decimeters = 1 meter
1000 meters = 1 kilometer
1 hectare = 100 meters X 100 meters
0 dg centigrade = freezing point of water
100 dg centigrade = boiling point of water (@ sea level)

That's simple!

But I respect those that prefer the traditional system. If we are going to use miles then we should use the nautical mile because 1 NM = 1 minute of latitiude. Wiki describes about a dozen different miles, the NM being the only one that makes any geographic sense.

We really don't want to get into this do we?

1 NM = 1 minute of latitiude.

Wow! Somehow I did not know that! So, I'm not too old to learn something new.
smile.gif

My brother drove 30 km (Overland Hadley: That's 5965 rods!) with his pop-top up.

I only need rods when I am going to be carrying a canoe. :rolleyes:

True but:

10 decimeters = 1 meter

That's simple!

But I respect those that prefer the traditional system. If we are going to use miles then we should use the nautical mile because 1 NM = 1 minute of latitiude. Wiki describes about a dozen different miles, the NM being the only one that makes any geographic sense.

Metric is best. But I doubt we yankes will ever change over.

Although nautical miles make the most sense.

We just got our new FWC Eagle in August so are still trying to figure out what is and isn't essential.

What needs to come with us:
2 camera backpacks with camera gear: 2 bodies, 6 lenses plus filters, extra batteries/charger, media cards, cleaners, etc.
2 tripods/ball heads in cases
1 Mac 13" laptop and case
3 sleeping bags: 1 to lay down spread out on top of cushions, other 2 to sleep in. We found this warm and comfy.
2 pillows: lightweight foam
shotgun and shells
2 flashlights
1 axe/1 saw/1 big knife
2 small backpacks with as little clothing as possible (except undies)
2 very small toiletry cases not duplicating anything that is not personal (share shampoo, toothpaste, don't share deodorant, tooth brushes)
Maps/brochures/Moon's Camping guide
Notebook paper/pens/clipboard for diary
2 towels/2 washcloths/1 dish towel/1 small scrubber/1 small dishwashing detergent/1 small clothesline and pins
First Aid kit
2 small sauce pans/1 small frypan (Revere Ware) with lids/2 stainless steel bowls/a few utensils like cheese grater/mylar cutting board/spatula/stirring spoon/knives, forks and spoons (2 of each)
Paper products: TP/paper towels/paper plates
hand washing gel
tablecloth
matches/propane starter/extra fuses
small radio that runs on batteries
small coffee maker
3 1 gallon jugs of drinking water
assorted dried soup mixes/dehydrated mushrooms and tomatoes
2 large Tupper ware that fit under dinette seat storage where we store soups, dried foods, towels, tablecloth,etc.
various food items from home like fruits/veggies/chips/crackers/cheese/bread/premade tuna salad/milk/etc.
2 garage sale special camp chairs.
small compressor/small pump/emergency equipment like flares/cable/assorted mechanic tools/duct tape/super glue

We really try to keep the weight down as Tacoma only can handle 1400 pounds. We have new series E tires (Hankook), new brakes front and rear, Ride Rite airbags.

One great benefit in trying to keep weight down in truck is our dieting. I was told by my doctor to lose the weight so off came 30 pounds since July 1. Hubby is working on tummy so we hope to shave off about 100 pounds that way. Great incentives.

We resupply water during trip, ditto for food.

We leave the 4 supports at home as they aren't really needed.

I think this list is pretty pared down but have no idea what we weigh with camper and this gear.

Happy camping!

Great list clikrf8!

When I first saw it, I thought: "Jeez that's a lot of stuff". Then as I read through it, I realized it is surprisingly close to my own list, with a few additions and a couple of deletions. My wife and I are pretty thrifty when we travel even though we use a 24' travel trailer for winter migrations. Our challenge is going to be efficiently packing the FWC. We both hate having to look for stuff. Everything needs to be in its place. Some may call this a sickness :oops: but it works for us.

Good luck with the weight reduction personal and otherwise.

Great list clikrf8!

When I first saw it, I thought: "Jeez that's a lot of stuff". Then as I read through it, I realized it is surprisingly close to my own list, with a few additions and a couple of deletions. My wife and I are pretty thrifty when we travel even though we use a 24' travel trailer for winter migrations. Our challenge is going to be efficiently packing the FWC. We both hate having to look for stuff. Everything needs to be in its place. Some may call this a sickness :oops: but it works for us.

Good luck with the weight reduction personal and otherwise.

Thanks, it's easier now that I have a great incentive.

No sickness as long as it makes your traveling less stressful allowing you to spend time enjoying the sights, not stressing over where your only flashlight is. That is the beauty of a FWC or similar: a sort of Walden on wheels where you pare down to the essentials.

We are thrifty also, rarely dining out, as we buy fresh veggies/fruits/milk at grocery stores. Sometimes the small stores are very expensive so we try to bring from home. Coulee City, WA grocery store had 5# block of Tillamook cheese for $9.55. Ouch.

Happy trails

This morning I "searched" on "FWC shells" . Scrolled through the results.
Rereading this post from 2011 on storage put up by White Dog
Lots of good ideas.
Do you have any updates for us?

White Dog said:
True but:

10 decimeters = 1 meter

That's simple!

Whats bigger a rod or a millichain ?
I'm just trying to understand…..really.

Seriously good questions. I'm thinking about fabricating a swing away storage platform about 28" x 60". I have a Yakima swing daddy bike rack and that got the old cabesa wondering. I also saw a guy who made one and posted it here as part of his rebuild . His name is SLO something. Anyway the possibilities are endless. I'm a big fan of less is more but I have a reg cab pick up and storage is at a premium.

First, the new truck is an extended cab rather than a regular cab. The Granby sits on the tailgate which is always open when the camper is on it. The rear "seats" in the silverado are now in the barn giving that much more space behind the bucket seats for a generator, leveling blocks, bag chairs, roll a table, bike bags, tools, etc. The pile of stuff is topped with two lounger pads that form thrones for the dogs when driving

The space behind the seat in the camper has a fabric pocket the length of the seat and that space is filled with stuff.

We have a big boat bag with people and dog pfds, canoe seats, dry bags, and paddles. We keep that in the camper and haul it in and out when we camp. It is a BIG pain but holds all the boat stuff together.

I keep my gortex parka and fleece layers in my large day pack along with most other hiking/skiing stuff. That allows the pack to serve double duty as a pack and as storage. It goes up and down into and out off the cabover as needed along with my wife's clothes bag.

The "closet" in the Granby now has four shelves that hold clothes much more efficiently than hanging in a closet. We don't do much formal wear camping anyway. If we need neat more formal clothes, we hang a clothes bag in the back of the extended cab.

There's a large deep cycle in a battery box under the front seat in the camper. The other two deep cycles are between the camper and the pickup bed in front of the wheel wells.

Subject every thing you take to a strick need test. Keep stuff that is related in a common carrier - ie: I have a computer bag for the laptop and associated stuff and another bag for camera and video stuff. That let's me move that stuff around efficiently. A small camper focuses you in on what you really want and need to have along, but it's still lightyears beyond my old backpacking (fondly missed) days.

Back
Top Bottom