storing gas under camper?

OregonIan

Hi all,

I have a 2000 Hawk on a 2010 Tundra. I have to use a platform so that the Hawk clears the siderails. Right now I'm just using a skeleton with 2x4s, but would like to make something that allows me to store things under the camper. I've seen a few examples of others doing this.

My question is...since I don't want to raise the Hawk any higher than I have to, I'll probably just use 2x4s on end, so I guess the space under camper would end up being about 3.5". I'm thinking of storing things like axe, shovel, etc (admittedly not as badass looking as displaying my axe on my rig so that all can see, but it seems practical to me :). I was also thinking I could get one of the "thinner" rotopax gas cans, and keep it under there as emergency gas. Wondering if there would be any safety reason that I shouldn't store a rotopax of gas under the camper?

Thanks for any thoughts. Ian

I've got four rotopax stored 'under' my camper.. As well as the stock 18 gallon tank, plus an additional 12 gallon reserve tank. All are also under the flatbed which the camper sits on. But, as far as danger from gas, I think we all have a gas tank under our campers somewhere.

I suppose the only concern then would be that the rotopax do not leak when on their sides. I do not think they would. They hold in quite a bit of pressure.. They swell like balloons if you fill them down low on a cool morning, and then drive up 10k feet and/or to warmer temperatures.

I have a rotopax can hanging off the back of my camper, so I know they are very sturdy, but I would still be concerned about storing it in a confined space out of sight out of mind. If for any reason it did leak or release vapor I don’t think that would be a good place for it. Just my thought on it. Shovel, axe, skis, fishing poles, hiking sticks anything long and skinny all good things.

First of all remember what you are doing structurally.....

A Hawk , 49 " wide will need a board on edge at either side but also more than one stringer in the mid floor area.

And you need to add some sort of ceiling to the stringers to keep them rigid...

The spaces between the long members will be pretty narrow....

All good space to use but not sure a rotopax will fit.

Finally make sure you can retrieve whatever you store in the basement.........mighty frustrating to not be able to get the shovel out when you need it most.

This advice appears on the Rotopax website.

PLEASE ALWAYS REMEMBER TO VENT THE FUEL PACK ONCE PER DAY IF THE ELEVATION OR TEMPERATURE CHANGES SIGNIFICANTLY.
More than likely most people don't follow this advice, but they do so, as the saying goes, "at their own peril."

If the pax are mounted so the opening is up, this is fairly easy. If not, it's a PITA, and probably one reason that people don't bother.

If the fuel pack swelled enough, might be a problem removing it if it's wedged in place. I would not be comfortable with the lack of venting.

They swell a surprising amount.. Definitely have to vent them when changing temps or altitudes.

Thanks for all the great insights. I didn't realize they swelled (duh). Maybe gas under the camper is a bad idea. will create space for the tools, and maybe a table.

Thanks! Ian

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom