Stripping out interior?

hamm

Has anyone stripped out the interior of an FWC to make a shell model? How hard would it be to remove the cabinets, fridge, etc? Aside from the hatches that access the fridge and propane, would the wall be fairly intact? I seem to be having trouble finding a used shell model but have run across quite a few affordable regular models that maybe I could modify.

Get your 1/4 " bit on your drill driver and start taking the screws out. You'll be surprised how easy they come apart.

I took an old fleet model down to nothing in about an hour.

I had to block the grey water outlet withsome foam. And there were a few small holes from the Ice box and the furnace, no worries to fill..I riveted a new piece of alluminum where the heater vent was.It's not real pretty after you strip it, but it does leave a nice empty canvas..

Take some pic's and post em!!We love pic's around here!
And, welcome aboard Hammbone! Where are you posting from??

TT

easy peasy!

After owning a 35' 1979 Liesurecraft houseboat (which upon purchase I completely gutted to the 2x2 studs and aluminium skin and remodled.) also a 24' Trail lite travel trailer, and now owning my Hawk FWC and a 34' Southwind Motorhome, I have learned that when it comes to doing any kind of work to these units that once you start tearing out you will see how simple and easy they are to repair or change to what you want. The only thing that I would say is take your time you do not want to destroy something that you may need later.

Interior Removal

What took TT an hour, took me a whole day. I had my Granby stpipped to the frame in a day. It took a little longer to put it back together. ARE YOU EATIN YOUR FISH ?

They come apart pretty easily

I've been think about a better designed cabinet for my Hawk and have taken it apart a few times to allow me to take measurements, consider options, and just stare and think. With only a few hand tools I could probably strip the interior pretty quickly. I do plan to leave the propane bottle, refrigerator and furnace where they are, so I don't have to plug any holes in the side of the camper, which greatly simplifies what I'm looking at then what you are planning.

In addition to TT's suggestion, you could plug the holes with marine plywood and leave the access panels in place for cosmetic reasons, or find uses for those existing holes in the side of the camper.

With fishing comes patience and wisdom.

Hamm Bone,
I suggest that you remember that part of the design is not just to build it cheap but to build it light. After replacing what you tear out you dont want to end up with a Lance. Mearly my dos centavos and no disrespect intended on the non kosher nickname.

Tearin' em up

I've only owned my Grandby for a few months and I'm sitting here looking at a plan to tear out the couch and replace it with a mini dinette.

What is it about FWC/ATC ownership that causes an itchy Sawzall finger?

bob,
I like the dinette idea for the same reason you do, sit facing each other for coffee, cards, etc. Just wish the Eagle had more room in it, oh well.

Here is an old picture of an aftermarket couch modification

I think this was installed in a "shell model" by the customer

Not sure that this would fit in a normal camper that has cabinets ?

Looks well done though -- I have always liked the look !

Attachments

• couch custom.jpg
    couch custom.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 492
Stan,

Thanks for the dinette pics. I just measured the Eagle and there is definitely some potential there. Do you have any other shots of that dinette set up?

Thanks for the replies. I think I'll consider stripping down a regular Hawk model if I can't find a shell. What I really want to end up with is a step above my camper shell, something that we can stand up in and occasionally cook in if it's too cold to sit outside. I had an older Grandby years ago and never used the sink, etc so I'd rather do without all that stuff. I also didn't like the quality of the older ones so I'm limiting my search to newer stuff.

Back
Top Bottom