Stuck & Un-stuck -- Safely

Hi-Lift 'Official' Instructions

-just sayin'
I quite agree, use the recommended lube if have it. If you reach for the right stuff and it ain't there then you gotta do what you gotta do. You can always wash it off with solvent and reapply the recommended stuff when you get back.

Regardless of what you read here or elsewhere, only do what you're comfortable with. Even old pros get nervous when a hi lift is is up near the top.

I have the bumper lift attachment for the hi lift. Would I use it on the truck? Probably not unless I was desperate. That a lot of weight to lift.

[Alley-Kat's post from MarkBC's original thread...]
If I'm in a hole with some wheels and there is good solid dirt within reach and without a bunch of under surface rocks, then I'll use an adaption from the local search & rescue group... a triangular multipoint anchor system, using some rebar and line. Rebar is easy to pound into almost any dirt, use the line to anchor them together (search the internet for the details of the technique) and the whole assembly is pretty solid. Attach the come-a-long to the the lowest point on the forward anchor point and roll the vehicle forward or backward out of the hole. Easy to build up and tear down, and light weight, to boot.

I've also got two tow straps that are attached together in the middle to form an "X", so if I can find a large enough boulder (i.e., heavy and stable) close by, the "X" goes on the back side and then the two staps stays in place when I thighten up the come-a-long. And, the two straps can be used as a nice strong tow strap with double the strength.

I Googled, '+triangular +multipoint +anchor' and so forth, and didn't get as much as i wanted. If anybody cares to take a shot at this, I appreciate you.

[Edit] I may have found one: Multi-point Pre-equal Anchors

A Cordalette...

Cordelette6s.JPG

Well, it's not really so much of a product a person can buy, but a technique learned under proper instruction that is used by search & rescue teams. I learned, practised, was tested on it (passed) and used it when I was a volunteer at my local Humane Society, for recovery of injured horses in ravines when there were no anchor points in the nearby vicinity. The gear used at the Humane Society is not special, however, it is large & heavy duty, and it's the same set-up now used my our county search & rescue teams, as taught to them by my leader-instructor (I helped at a couple of those training sessions).

And, in certain circumstances I've been able to use a modified (smaller & lighter) version to recover my vehicle when I was alone.

I'll see if I can put some descriptive words and drawings together with the details, cautionary notes, and disclaimers. I would stress that a person practice the set-up technique in a situation where the vehicle is not stranded... several times to get comfortable and knowledgable. Use at your own risk as I'm not a certified instructor. Maybe if I can get to one of the WTW rallys someday I can do a demo.

This pdf is what I found when I searched that topic:

http://www.rescuedynamics.ca/articles/pdfs/EarnestAnchors3.pdf

Progress:
smile.gif

OK, today I ordered all these (or similar):
510vlfnzcqL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
41eSUPU5UoL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
412nJAQa5KL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
31wXaIP1FtL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
41rz84mQ4hL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
41ZzIu-xHVL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

The last two will be particularly useful now that my Hi-Lift jack (which has been in it's original wrapper for over a year) is behind the seat of my truck -- instead of in my garage.
rolleyes.gif
(I better check it's lube-needs...)
With the jack plus these two accessories, I could have more-easily raised the tire(s) -- the least-stuck one(s) -- and put tire chains on (or MaxTrax or similar if/when I get some) and probably rescued myself from my recent "Incident".
Or with the strap and one or two of the other first 4 accessories it would be more-convenient for somebody else to pull me out -- putting wear on my own gear is probably the courteous thing to do in that situation.

Now I need to learn what accessories I need to use the HiLift as a winch...and maybe get a boat anchor, too, since I'm rarely near trees when I'm out-and-about.
huh.gif

Of course, since it'll likely be another 200,000+ miles before I get stuck again I'll have to make sure to keep track of these tools until that distant future event.
wink.gif

I'll see if I can put some descriptive words and drawings together with the details, cautionary notes, and disclaimers. I would stress that a person practice the set-up technique in a situation where the vehicle is not stranded... several times to get comfortable and knowledgable. Use at your own risk as I'm not a certified instructor. Maybe if I can get to one of the WTW rallys someday I can do a demo.

A-K, I just had an idea- what about a YouTube video?

Progress:
smile.gif

OK, today I ordered all these (or similar):

Looks pretty good Mark. Besides a 4 Ton come-a-long (someday I would like to have a winch), a shovel, a piece of 2X10X10 lumber, and minus the hi-lift, thats what I carry. This thread is making me think about getting a hi-lift and accessories. You'll find that receiver mount clevis adapter to be very useful, especially with a front receiver - it gives you lots of options for hanging a hammock. ;)

Looks pretty good Mark. Besides a 4 Ton come-a-long (someday I would like to have a winch), a shovel, a piece of 2X10X10 lumber, and minus the hi-lift, thats what I carry. This thread is making me think about getting a hi-lift and accessories. You'll find that receiver mount clevis adapter to be very useful, especially with a front receiver - it gives you lots of options for hanging a hammock. ;)

Yeah, I wouldn't mind having a heavy-duty come-a-long (can you recommend a brand/model/etc?)...though still am not interested in a winch (for the reasons I've already listed).

I don't have a front receiver, but I do have two of these on the front of my truck as attachment points:
gallery_2431_332_172264.jpg

I have one of those pullers with wire rope. Its heavy and the wire never likes to wind up right. Other than that it works well. I'll have to think about swapping out the wire for some amsteel.

This is what I would like to buy to replace my cheap come-along, but I wish it wasn't so expensive.
http://www.amazon.co...e/dp/B00455VCTY

Mmmmm. Amsteel-Blue. Sounds like a tasty brew :p

I've been thinking about a static line vs. my 30' kinetic strap for hand-powered winching.
I tried using my high lift with my stretchy-strap and could see how it would just keep loading up.

This looks like a useful item:

7700# test Amsteel

super-44756-29080-L.gif

I bought my come-along many years ago at a store like Harbor Freight. I think it cost about $30 back then. I looked it over and couldn't find any manufacturer name.

Looking at using a hi-lift to winch verses a come-along, it looks like the hi-lift would allow you to winch much closer to the anchor point, but you would have to reset it every 48 inches (or 60 inches for the big one). The come-along is about 2 feet long (hook-to-hook), but will pull 15 feet at one time. I think if I had a hi-lift I wouldn't carry a come-along too. Then again, having 2 winching devices can be useful in some situations.

Maybe for camp fire log splitting

That's a great idea!
I think you should talk to a patent attorney.
wink.gif

Back
Top Bottom