Stupid question #5 the impending doom of gas powered outdoor equipment in CA

DavidGraves

For those who live south of the (my) border what are the local impacts of the impending doom of gas powered outdoor equipment ?

More specifically, are dealers dumping weeds, trimmers, mowers and saws at unheard of low prices ?

Echo, Husquvarna Stihl, et al ?

This actually has to do with some trip planning of ours. :)

Many thanks

David Graves

David don't what the immediate plans are but someday things will change from "oil" fueled to electric.
I gave up on my gas trimmer long ago.For the little I need it, it was a pain to deal with.
I purchased the EGO brand of products.A trimmer and a blower.Great products.
Frank

Same here.. I hated my 2 stroke Stihl weed wacker... a pita... my new electric is way better 45 minutes of high power wacking!
I would love an electric mower but price yes still too high ....but soon.

Thanks Both

Another friend from CA suggested the new law restricts the sale of USED gas powered equipment...he suggested the new law does not restrict the use of gas powered equipment.

In my old age I must admit I don't really know what the change constitutes....

David Graves

DavidGraves said:
Another friend from CA suggested the new law restricts the sale of USED gas powered equipment...he suggested the new law does not restrict the use of gas powered equipment.
I predict a booming "free to good home" market in used gasoline powered tools to arrive soon. :p

Paul

PaulT said:
I predict a booming "free to good home" market in used gasoline powered tools to arrive soon. :p

Paul
I feel used gas equipment in good condition will be top dollar and not free.

billharr said:
I feel used gas equipment in good condition will be top dollar and not free.
I respectfully disagree. During a recent kitchen remodel, the contractor rarely used a corded tool. Drills, sanders, saws, etc. were all battery powered. These used to be corded, but improvements in battery power and density has all but replaced corded tools. I have a battery powered hedge trimmer and leaf blower and I may have to swap out a battery to finish the job, but running out of power has never caused me to stop before the job was complete. It will take longer for commercial gardeners and tree trimmers to make the move, but some day they'll ditch the maintenance headaches that come with gas powered mowers and chain saws and move to battery-powered tools.

For certain things. I don't you'll see battery operated chainsaws for heavy duty use. Homeowner use maybe.

Trying to see how to hook up an electric chainsaw to my 100 aH BattleBorn LiFePO4. :p

Need to mount the battery on a pack frame, I guess.

Paul

The ban doesn't happen until 2024. I have seen a lot of sales on power equipment over the last month, but these are just 'year end' clearance sales (people out side the state have these sales also). So I won't come to Cal just to buy power equipment.
As for the chain saw, last year I needed to replace a deck, I got out my old gas chain saw and couldn't get it to run. I stop in a home depot and found a ryobi 18v chain saw. That worked out good for me cutting up 2x6 and other brush around the yard. I don't know how good this would be if I needed to cut a cord of fire wood. I have heard good things about the Milwauke saw (Milwaukee M18 FUEL 16 in. 18-Volt Lithium-Ion Battery Brushless Cordless Chainsaw Kit with 12.0 Ah Battery and M18 Rapid Charger 2727-21HD - The Home Depot
)

The electric Toro two stage snowblower is getting good reviews. Julie will not operate our old snapper blower with the engine that requires filling with gas, pulling a cord, standing near exhaust. This new electric would be much more convenient, clean, and user friendly. It is nice to see these options available.

"Project Farm" on Youtube did a electric chainsaw comparison in two segments. 14"- 16" bars, so definitely home owner sized saws. Might be worth looking at.

We had a freeze (rare here) followed by very high winds that took out a large bush in the front yard. To get it into the yard waste bin I bought a Greenworks cordless chainsaw on the advice of an off-grid EE friend up in Cherokee. I was impressed with it. Our across the street neighbor borrowed it a while back and trimmed a tree in her backyard and I still haven't charged the battery. I probably should do that this weekend......

I’ve slowly been transitioning to cordless tools, beginning with drills and my last purchase of a circular saw. I’m thinking of buying an electric post hole auger for several projects at home and up at the cabin. Although not cordless, it beats the weight and aforementioned issues of the gas powered unit.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom