Suggestions for a long trip --- What would you bring?

BBZ

Hey All
The wife and I are going to load up our camper and head to Baja for about 3 weeks. We will be bringing our 2 dogs and just relaxing for a few weeks after a very hectic last 6 months.

My question to the group is: From your experience, what do you need? What are you glad you brought with you on longer trips and what just took up space and wish you left it...

I will keep it as simple as that..

Thanks in advance.

Bill

Mexico isn't allowing truck campers to cross the border. You might want to contact the US Border Patrol to confirm. This has been written up on Wander The West and Expedition Portal. You can also google. Not sure whether it is a blanket no crossing or whether size of truck and camper determine.

Hi

I am not sure the facts on this BUT have read it applies to large 3/4 ton pickups with fixed campers heading into mainland Mexico.

You might want to browse Baja Nomads forumn or more directly call the Mexican officials where you were expecting to cross.

There have long (always) been certain contraints on what could be driven over the border. An example is trailer boats over 15 feet require a permit to insure you bring the boat back to the states with you versus taking it south to sell.

Please report back with whatever you learn.

For the basics, we try to carry our Baja Almanac, plenty of water and we exchange dollars for pesos at or before the border.

Have a great trip.

David Graves

north Oregon coast

PS We don't bring a pet...check into your dogs' requirements also....they may need to bark Espanol.... :)

You can buy purified water in 5 gallon jugs, bottled water in 1 gallon and smaller sizes just about anywhere in Baja. I remember our first trip we had the floor in our VW Van covered with 1 gallon jugs of water we bought in San Diego. We didn't need to do that. The larger towns have places that will fill your jug, most grocery stores sell 5 gal jugs. Purchase one of the 5 gallon jugs and carry it with you to refill your tank from. It is easy to carry when empty, just throw it in the back. You can trade it for full jugs or refill it at a Purificada water store.

What you do need is a way to transfer the water into your FWC. I use a 12 volt pump I bought from Harbor Freight https://www.harborfreight.com/12-volt-dc-transfer-pump-63324.html and two 10 foot RV hoses (the white ones that will not poison the water) and one of these http://www.sportsmanswarehouse.com/sportsmans/Camco-RV-Water-Tank-Filler-with-Hose/productDetail/RV-Parts-and-Accessories/prod999901364019/cat101262?ref=google&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI2az-x7751wIVA41-Ch0HcQnvEAQYAiABEgJF3_D_BwE which can be purchased at Walmart.

BTW We are headed down to Baja in just a couple of weeks in our 3/4 ton Dodge with FWC. We have not heard of anyone being turned back going into Baja. If you look that those reports they are all in places like Nuevo Loredo going into the mainland.

Be sure you have insurance, otherwise if you have an accident they could throw you in jail. You also need your Passports.

A good air pump to inflate your tires after airing down your tires for driving on sand, and a shovel. You don't have to drive on the sand, but in case you do get stuck these will come in handy, and you can use the shovel to clean up after your dogs.

I don't know how far south you are headed, but warm clothes may be necessary up north.

Reading material, it gets dark early this time of year.

We did a month long trip early this year. You don't really need much as you get most everything there. Tools for road side repairs, a pump (as someone else mentioned in case you deflate your tires for sand travel), dog food/meds. We found having a nice "mat" for a barrier between the sand and the camper a good idea.

We also keep an Astro Turf mat just inside the door. It catches most of the sand we track inside and is easy to remove and shake out.

Camper Rich is spot on about buying more water at the Aqua Purificata stores.....we refill there also...very easy and cheap.

David Graves

camper rich said:
We also keep an Astro Turf mat just inside the door. It catches most of the sand we track inside and is easy to remove and shake out.
x2 on Astro Turf mat.
We put it at the base of the ladder when stopped, and it's a great shower mat inside the shower tent too.

RE: Suggestions for what to bring
Spanish/English Dictionary
I like the 500 Spanish verbs to jostle my high school espanol.

kmcintyre said:
We did a month long trip early this year. You don't really need much as you get most everything there. Tools for road side repairs, a pump (as someone else mentioned in case you deflate your tires for sand travel), dog food/meds. We found having a nice "mat" for a barrier between the sand and the camper a good idea.
Any suggestions of some of your favorite spots along the way?? We will have a solid 2 weeks to be in Baja..

Everything in Baja stings, bites, cuts, pokes or burns. Bring a well stocked first aid kit with plenty of bandaids and peroxide.

longhorn1 said:
Mexico isn't allowing truck campers to cross the border. You might want to contact the US Border Patrol to confirm. This has been written up on Wander The West and Expedition Portal. You can also google. Not sure whether it is a blanket no crossing or whether size of truck and camper determine.
Not quite correct info above.

Mexican authorities have implemented a 3.5 metric ton (7716#) GVRW for non-motorhome vehicles, such as pickup trucks. The GVWR weight listed on the pillar placard will determine if you are granted entry.

US Border Patrol has zero to do with this new regulation. It is a Mexican regulation.

Latest info from Discover Baja Travel Club...

Vehicle Weight Restrictions for Mainland Mexico
There are weight restrictions for vehicles that are not motorhomes getting vehicle TIPs for mainland: The GVWR cannot be more than 7,716 pounds (3.5 tons) if the vehicle is not a motorhome. Baja Sur will NOT issue TIPs for non-motorhome vehicles over that weight. There’s a possibility that they may issue the vehicle TIP along the California/Baja California border, but it depends on customs clearing the vehicle. Getting a TIP at the California/Baja California border does not guarantee that if you are exiting Mexico and entering again, they will reissue a TIP if your vehicle is overweight.

A TIP is not required when entering Baja unless that has recently changed. I also have never seen scales to weigh your truck and camper at any of the border entrances.

As far as where to camp, we like Bahia Conception south of Mulege. There is lots of beach camping there, although it does have a lot of campers. It is a great place to hang out and snorkel or paddle a kayak. Santaspac has a couple of restaurants for fish tacos, and a bakery. There are palapas at several of the campground along the bay. It's probably as far as you will want to drive for a two week trip.

I would suggest some type of funnel so you can pour purified water into your tank if you want to be able to drink water from your tank.
I recommend not stopping till you get to Ensenada, I think that's where Baja starts for me. Entering through Mexicali and going down to San Felipe and on to Bahia Gonzaga is cool and then going through Coco's onto the main hwy as an alternate.
I personally like the Bahia Conception, pretty spot and plenty of good camping. Another item you might want to consider is one of those foldable coolers or a cooler in case you have some fridge issues or need the extra space, ice is readily available.

camper rich said:
A TIP is not required when entering Baja unless that has recently changed. I also have never seen scales to weigh your truck and camper at any of the border entrances.

As far as where to camp, we like Bahia Conception south of Mulege. There is lots of beach camping there, although it does have a lot of campers. It is a great place to hang out and snorkel or paddle a kayak. Santaspac has a couple of restaurants for fish tacos, and a bakery. There are palapas at several of the campground along the bay. It's probably as far as you will want to drive for a two week trip.
As noted in the post, TIPs are currently only required for mainland Mexico, not the peninsula. However, a TIP can be issued in advance of your trip regardless of destination. If you comply with the 3.5 metric ton restriction, entry into Mexico, even Baja will go much faster with a TIP. Uniform application of the 3.5 ton restriction is slowly being uniformly enforced at all border crossings by Mexican authorities.

Mexican authorities are not using scales. They are using the placard on the vehicle's pillar to ascertain GVRW as approval for entry or denial.

bsharp007 said:
I would suggest some type of funnel so you can pour purified water into your tank if you want to be able to drink water from your tank.
I recommend not stopping till you get to Ensenada, I think that's where Baja starts for me. Entering through Mexicali and going down to San Felipe and on to Bahia Gonzaga is cool and then going through Coco's onto the main hwy as an alternate.
I personally like the Bahia Conception, pretty spot and plenty of good camping. Another item you might want to consider is one of those foldable coolers or a cooler in case you have some fridge issues or need the extra space, ice is readily available.
Thanks for the advice.. how are the roads beyond San Felipe these days?

Our camper is set up off grid style.. no water tank, or fridge.. we will be bringing a fancy cooler and 2 - 5 gallon water jugs.

Advmoto18 said:
As noted in the post, TIPs are currently only required for mainland Mexico, not the peninsula. However, a TIP can be issued in advance of your trip regardless of destination. If you comply with the 3.5 metric ton restriction, entry into Mexico, even Baja will go much faster with a TIP. Uniform application of the 3.5 ton restriction is slowly being uniformly enforced at all border crossings by Mexican authorities.

Mexican authorities are not using scales. They are using the placard on the vehicle's pillar to ascertain GVRW as approval for entry or denial.
So the placard on my 3/4 ton Dodge 2500 says GVWR is 8800 lbs which is the legal carrying capacity. Does that mean my truck would not be admitted even if empty? We'll be heading south this weekend and crossing the border probably before Christmas so I guess we'll find out.

camper rich said:
So the placard on my 3/4 ton Dodge 2500 says GVWR is 8800 lbs which is the legal carrying capacity. Does that mean my truck would not be admitted even if empty? We'll be heading south this weekend and crossing the border probably before Christmas so I guess we'll find out.
mine says 7370.. I guess I will be ok.. let us know how it works out for you

I understand the road south of San Filipe is pretty bad with pot holes. It was bad last January and hasn't been fixed. There are still 25 or so miles of road construction from near Coco's corner to Chapala and Highway 1.

Check out road conditions on bajanomad.com

This suggestion is for any trip where you may not get to bath every day: wet wipes. There are certain personal cleaning situations where I don't really want to use a wash cloth.

I prefer the Costco Kirkland brand. These are the ones that are septic system safe. They tend to break down really quickly in water. I haven't found them online, only in Costco stores.

I've used wet wipes, not only for long trips in the camper, but also for long distance backpacking hikes. Worth the weight!

I hope this suggestion makes sense!

Tod Gru.

Back
Top Bottom