Suggestions needed for Utah exploring from St. George in early October

takesiteasy

My spouse is playing in a volleyball tournament in St. George beginning October 12. We have reservations at the North Rim Campground October 3-6 where we are meeting my two brothers and spouses for a mini-family reunion. This leaves October 6-12 for exploring around Utah, beginning at the north rim and ending up in St. George on the 12th.

My first idea is to do a circle route from St. George, hitting all the high points of the various National Parks. I would like suggestions for the best route, places not to miss and special camping spots. We are comfortable boondocking. I am also looking for routes that are off the highways and freeways.

How much can we see in 6 days?

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

Toroweap/Tuweep \</end_thread>

Seriously if you can still get a spot in there I would drive from the North Rim up to Fredonia and Kanab for a quick resupply then head over and go into Tuweep and enjoy the canyon for a few days away from crowds. You can then exit out of Tuweep and go over the mountain and come out on the St. George Airport Rd. so in one way and out the other, pretty drive going out to St George.

If you want to do some exploring instead you can take off on a road from just south of Fredonia that will take you over to House Rock Valley Rd, there is a campground at the stateline, go north to the Wire Pass TH and do a short hike in to the intersection with Buckskin Gulch, maybe go a little ways down Buckskin before turning around, WARNING: NARROW SLOT CANYON, KNOW THE WEATHER FORECAST from there go north and pick up Cottonwood Canyon Rd that runs north along The Cockscomb to Kodachrome Basin State Park then head up and get on 12 and take in Bryce before dropping south on 89 to Zion through Zion to Hurricane and on down to St. George. Lots of coujntry and will whet your appetite for many return trips but some incredible scenery.

Bob

Pick up a copy of Photographing the Southwest, Vol 1, by Laurent Martres. It covers a lot of that area. Actually, get all 3 volunes, they make great planning tools.

Wandering Sagebrush said:
Pick up a copy of Photographing the Southwest, Vol 1, by Laurent Martres. It covers a lot of that area. Actually, get all 3 volunes, they make great planning tools.
They are great books, but don't expect to be alone at those spots anymore - lots of people have those books. ;)

Thanks for the thoughts. Toroweep/tuweep is on our list. I will look for the books.

Can't do everything in one trip. Choices must be made. What about heading out to Canyonlands, Capitol Reef, Arches as opposed to sticking closer to St. George? If not Bryce, Zion, Grand Canyon, which areas would you choose to explore with 5 days? What are the tradeoffs?

I really appreciate the planning knowledge on the forum- it's great to hear from knowledgeable folks.

Around Capitol Reef there is the Cathedral Valley Loop drive which is great and has a nice little campground and also the Burr Trail and Waterpocket Fold area are nice and those areas are not at all crowded like the parks, although the parks are definitely worth seeing. Hard to go wrong no matter what you decide.

Going Canyonlands/Arches puts you a long way from St. George and if you cross the river at Page or Marble Canyon after the North Rim then you are going to go to either Hite or Moab to cross back. Zion/Bryce/GSENM will all keep you withing relatively easier driving distance to St. George.

Don't get me wrong, I like them all and could spend years exploring that relatively small area down there without getting bored so just trying to keep your final destination in mind.

Cedar Breaks National Monument is a great view and there is plenty of good boondocking in the area. It's about half way between Zion and Bryce.

naz4x4 said:
Cedar Breaks National Monument is a great view and there is plenty of good boondocking in the area. It's about half way between Zion and Bryce.
Assuming you are on this route, be sure to stop at the top of the tunnel leaving Zion. There's parking and a trailhead immediately at the top terminus of the tunnel. A short trail leads to a jaw dropping rim to valley floor view. A herd of desert bighorn sheep are often in the vicinity. Checkerboard Mesa is just up the road. Off trail hiking in this area is sublime.

Back
Top Bottom