Suggestions on cleaning stains on pop-up material?

SigSanDiego

Advanced Member
Any recommended cleaning product out there to clean stains on pop-up material?

I’ve tried soapy water, rag and elbow grease but stains are winning.

Thanks.

Soap and water is about the only thing that will not degrade the fabric. You might try magic eraser cleaner, it is effective on some dirt/stains. A 10% bleach solution if rinsed thoroughly might help. Do not use solvents as this can/will affect the coating. Once clean apply some 303 or other similar conditioner. Do not use anything with petroleum listed in the ingredients as it can cause the fabric to become stiff/brittle over time and can affect glue adhesion if you ever need to repair/patch the fabric.

303 cleaner (and the separate 303 protectant product) is what was provided in the kit that came from FWC when we purchased our camper. I also have used a boat version of the "Magic Eraser" sponge on some of the harder stains. However, I have found that some stains are so stubborn, that no amount of scrubbing will remove them. I have learned to live with those...

It’s important to recognize that a magic eraser is melamine foam and is a fairly aggressive abrasive even though it is a fine abrasive. I would not use it on a soft material, and would be very wary of using it on anything where I care about the finish.

Thanks to all.

I do protect with 303.

I will try 303 cleaner.

Living with stains probably best. Hard to come to grips because rig is so new.

Wonder what stains are from. Desert dirt?

Thanks again.

Our 2008 Hawk was built using some kind of sealant where exterior hardware is mounted and where there are joints, including at the edge of the roof. I don't like it much because it oozes out during high temps and it attracts dirt, so it looks blackish. You can see it at the edges of the jack brackets, all the access doors, corner trim, yakima tracks, etc. It's a mess, IMHO.

I had been noticing blackish stains, reminiscent of old bubble gum on the sidewalk, on my liner. I traced it back to the underside of the metal flange where the fabric meets the roof. Using nylon scrapers I went around the camper and removed various gobs of the sealant that had oozed out. I cleaned the fabric (hypalon?) with a citrus based solvent using significant elbow grease. It looks much better now, and doesn't appear to have degraded the liner. I went back later and gave it the 3M 303 treatment.

Andy, my Hawk is a 2008 as well. What you are seeing is a butyl tape sealant, and yes they used alot of it on my Hawk as well. Everything is well sealed, which is a good thing. It's too bad it attracts dirt, doesn't look very good, unable to clean, oh well !!! And yes 303 Products work well on cleaning the pop-up material.

fish more said:
Andy, my Hawk is a 2008 as well.
Someday we'll have to meet up and compare campers. Did your liner get the butyl on it too?

Aaaand.... no leaks (knock on wood!) with the FWC sealant.
Especially since the new truck is just tall enough I can't get it inside my garage door now.

Interesting thing about Butyl, is the easiest way to clean it off is with more Butyl. It loves sticking to itself more than it loves sticking to whatever it is stuck on. So, a bit in hand, press it onto the Butyl, and it will lift off. Not sure that helps given where yours is gooping things up, but worth a try.

Lighthawk said:
Someday we'll have to meet up and compare campers. Did your liner get the butyl on it too?

Aaaand.... no leaks (knock on wood!) with the FWC sealant.
Especially since the new truck is just tall enough I can't get it inside my garage door now.
If fit inside garage is really close let the air out of the tires....expensive option is to buy a small set wheels and tires to reduce diameter/radius for use when storing...I use to switch tires/wheels to studded set, but no longer do that...

Warning!! Do not use NRS Inflatable Boat Cleaner to clean black marks off tent!
It does not work and it eats shiny surfaces including glass. Found out the hard way.

What about “Black Streak” cleaner I see for cleaning black streaks on. RVs, etc?

Whatever Black Streaks are. Diesel/Highway grime?

Too harsh for FWC?

Any experience?

Back
Top Bottom