Summer on the road

Back from Dawson. The Top of the World highway was totally insane! It had been raining for weeks on and off prior to our arrival in Chicken, AK. The road was like ice with some gravel on it. Sticky slippery mud. Truck was fine, but I was on my bike. Anyways, we made it over and into Dawson in about 5 hours soaking wet, freezing cold and shaky. As soon as we dropped down to the ferry dock it was in the 80's and blue! Happy days. The Dust 2 Dawson rally was super fun (you can read about it on ADVRider under the Alaska regional forum), lots of cool people and awesome bikes.

I was very happy to have the truck tag along, oh, and my girlfriend. The camper and truck performed perfectly over 2100km of nasty mud, gravel, washboard, potholes, etc... Turnbuckle finally came loose after 20,000km of driving since May 3. Only one of them though and not really all that loose.

After heading back to Tok, AK we decided to ride the Denali Highway from Paxson to Cantwell. It was 135 miles of awesome gravel road! We rode 45-60mph, which was too bad because the scenery was so nice and I got very few photos! Picked a kick ass campsite up a pull off road and saw a moose cow and calf walk right by us after popping up.

I could go on and on about the Top of the World Highway and the Denali Highway. I haven't heard of them on this forum, they are in the west, and you should all do your best to drive them. It's FWC paradise, and even more fun when you have one following you on your motorcycle!

I'll switch it up this time and put captions above the photos - to fit in.

Arriving in Dawson, I don't think this will be easy to wash:
IMG1832-L.jpg

Ferry into Dawson:
IMG1833-L.jpg

Truck and camper looking a bit dirty:
IMG1835-L.jpg

Friday night there were 165 (I think) bikes lined up here and some fun riding events, and also booze. Lots of booze.
IMG1839-L.jpg

Dawson from the dome:
IMG1852-L.jpg

Wash me:
IMG1870-L.jpg

Beginning of the Denali Hwy:
IMG1875-L.jpg

Me and my cousin (with his KLR):
IMG1880-L.jpg

This photo finally makes me slightly less jealous of all these shots you guys have posted up. This was truly a campsite fit for a WTW'er. Mile 75 Denali Highway (the middle), turn off highway and go a few miles up a bouldery, gravely, muddy hill. Pick the best view, pop the top, and open a beer:
IMG1896-L.jpg

Not a bad night to be camping in AK:
IMG1912-L.jpg

Good view:
IMG1922-L.jpg

This photo finally makes me slightly less jealous of all these shots you guys have posted up. This was truly a campsite fit for a WTW'er. Mile 75 Denali Highway (the middle), turn off highway and go a few miles up a bouldery, gravely, muddy hill. Pick the best view, pop the top, and open a beer:

Easily one of the best I've seen. What a great trip you are having.

Great photos GG, that camp site is amazing. What a fun adventure you are in the midst of, dig your bike too!

Easily one of the best I've seen. What a great trip you are having.

Great photos GG, that camp site is amazing. What a fun adventure you are in the midst of, dig your bike too!

x2, keep having a fun adventure and travel safe!

Thank you all, we are definitely trying to make the most of our trip. Looking forward to celebrating Canada Day (likely not a big deal here in AK!), the Girdwood Forest Fair this weekend, and the upcoming July 4th celebrations - we're heading camping on the beach in Hope, AK.

On another note, a bear left its paw prints all over my truck last night right in the driveway here! And it was the first time we'd washed it in 17,000km!

On another note, a bear left its paw prints all over my truck last night right in the driveway here!

ohmy.gif
!!!

And Happy Canada Day!

canada-flag.gif

Ya, to all the other Canucks (not the hockey team), happy Canada Day - what used to be called Dominion Day.
GG, love those pics, especially Midnight Dome. You are indeed a lucky man to have experienced this great journey. Thanks again for keeping us included. Stay safe.

Love the small world. After camping on the beach at Anchor Point, AK last night we headed to Homer for sightseeing and supplies at Safeway. Came out with some groceries to some fellow WTWers checking out our rig! It was 'randygirl' and Brian with their FWC and Tacoma. I knew her from her posts here and was happy to get a tour of their rig. They have the front loading Engel I want, the solar setup, and a slick custom rear awning and front wind blocker. We have a basically stock 2010 Hawk which they enjoyed checking out too, I believe theirs was a 2001-2.

Sent them off with some info on our beach camping spot from last night.

Great meeting.

The Kenai Peninsula is now ticked off the list. We've dead-ended at Hope, Homer Spit, and Seward. Here's a few shots from our beach campsite at Anchor Point (Westerly most highway point in NA!).

Mandatory rig photo:
IMG2471-L.jpg

Mt. Iliamna out the back door, also the water where I was the only one swimming... :unsure:
IMG2490-L.jpg

The Homer overlook:
Homer-panoramic-L.jpg

Cool, G.G.!
Love those west-est, north-est, high-est, etc. points as landmarks/destinations.
smile.gif

Well, after about 6 weeks of bumming around Alaska and staying at our friends in Girdwood we're back on the road. Made it to Tok, AK last night after a slow morning in Girdwood. It's our 4th time staying here this trip. Planning on making it to Whitehorse today, and then starting the Cassiar the next. Sort of playing it by ear down there, really excited to see Stewart as I've read about it alot - as a geologist and as a backcountry snowboarder/snowmobiler. Then we're going to check Pemberton, Whistler, and Squamish as potential places to set up our new home base on the way to Vancouver Island (our original destination to call home).

So, stay tuned and our Spot is back online if you feel like following along.

Cheers,

Mike

boya Lake on the Cassiar is very nice :D

Yes it was! Went for a swim (free shower) too!

In Prince George right now getting my worn tires rotated. 21,000km of 70psi, rough roads, camper and trailer have really taken their toll! Will be in for a new set before winter for sure.

LOL, think II had my tires rotated there as well. And mine are getting thin and will need to be replaced too soon. Was in NV this AM, now at the Colorado NM.

We're now in Squamish, BC. Our original plan, many pages and many months ago was to get down to Victoria and set up shop. Well, we seem to be staying here in Squamish now. Started looking for a place to rent today and have already done 3 tours. Seems like a cool mountain town, tons of outdoor activities, close to Whistler and close to Vancouver. What else could I need, aside from a sweet house with a gigantic garage for my toys and tools.

So, if we do indeed stay here - I suppose this trip report may be coming to a close!

P.S. killer camping and motorcycling out of here

Back
Top Bottom