Sun, Rain, Mud and Snow in Mendocino's National Forest

Nimbl Vehicles

Gandalf the Grey
Had a fun last trip in XPCamper #2 before it goes to its new owner.

On Friday, Toni, KC and Gandalf took off to go to Upper Lake and then onto Bear Creek. I discovered that area about 10 years ago and it is a cool place to Explore More!

gallery_2406_11_108168.jpg

We had perfect weather the first day and had a few water crossings( ) to get to my special campsite.

gallery_2406_116_163722.jpg

Low trees and rough roads were part of the deal. So are the pretty flowers.

gallery_2406_11_492113.jpg

The second day was a wet one and rained pretty much all day.
We had fun watching Indiana Jones in the camper, making some yummy snacks and enjoying the scenery.

gallery_2406_114_458599.jpg

The third day was something we didn’t expect as we took the trail from Bear Creek over to Letts Lake. Snow!

gallery_2406_116_560529.jpg

With the Snow came Mud ( ), plenty of it..

Since I know that terrain pretty well we went over the mountains to the ”other side." I did take the “safe” route by staying on M10. While there are other trails I wanted to take, it wasn’t a wise decision to do it with one rig in this kind of weather.

It was a fun and unexpected kind of weather trip, but that’s what it is all about.
We carried about 70 gallons of H2O, a full fridge and plenty of beer.
It was nice to take a hot shower after a day of traveling in the mud and snow.

gallery_2406_116_395991.jpg

Now back to work and back to building campers.

We were just there, last weekend on Comptche - Orr Hot Springs Rd.
We had sun on Saturday, all the way out to the Mendo coast, but rain and a touch of snow on Sunday.

I'll post a trip report once I figure out if I can upload zip files to my gallery :unsure:

We really wish we could have joined you this weekend....I even gave up a weekend of boating the Cal Salmon....moving is taking up way to much time. Looks like you guys had an awesome trip!

Cort

We really wish we could have joined you this weekend....I even gave up a weekend of boating the Cal Salmon....moving is taking up way to much time. Looks like you guys had an awesome trip!

Cort

Next time!!!
I am planning a route from Upper lake all the way up to the Cal Salmon.

Anyone game?

Roughly 150 miles of back country roads.

You need :
Xtra gas

4x4

You'll get:

Cal stripes

Nice views

Good food

Next time!!!

Anyone game?

You need :
Xtra gas

4x4

You'll get:

Cal stripes

Nice views

Good food

And Susan says "Hmmm. We're in."

Anyone game?

We've been mapping a large loop trip through Mendocino NF but are waiting for the weather to warm and the snow to melt. Your plan sounds good except for we are yet to put Cali striping on the new truck. Hmmm, maybe I'll switch the camper back to the old truck temporarily. Do you have approximate dates set?

BTW, will your next personal XP have any new or different features that we can look forward to checking out?

Go ahead, keep taunting us Socal types with your wet, green forests and flowing rivers. Just too far away for weekend trips...nice pics.

Go ahead, keep taunting us Socal types with your wet, green forests and flowing rivers. Just too far away for weekend trips...nice pics.

:D
Sorry... :D

We've been mapping a large loop trip through Mendocino NF but are waiting for the weather to warm and the snow to melt. Your plan sounds good except for we are yet to put Cali striping on the new truck. Hmmm, maybe I'll switch the camper back to the old truck temporarily. Do you have approximate dates set?

BTW, will your next personal XP have any new or different features that we can look forward to checking out?

Come on Ted, you need to break you truck in sometime... :p

New Features:
I got a great cool new fridge! 12V, 4.6 cuft, a second latch which prevents rough road openings, super efficient..
New Solar panels
600 amp hour battery system
More inside storage ( really, didn't know i had more until i build Marc's XP1.1)
New under bed storage system
New fabric
All new doors with receiving seals

As for the trip, no date, right now a lot of gates are still closed.

sounds pretty tempting. The mendocino is one forest I've neglected.

Yet so close to you
Only 1.5 hours from SAC... :D

sounds pretty tempting. The mendocino is one forest I've neglected.

Yet so close to you
Only 1.5 hours from SAC... :D

Next time!!!

Anyone game?

You need :
Xtra gas

4x4

You'll get:

Cal stripes

I'm in. Now get your new rig completed. :D

Nice views

Good food

I'm in. Now get your new rig completed

Marc, maybe you can get a shot of your own new rig to update your avatar. I'm just sayin'... ;)

Marc, maybe you can get a shot of your own new rig to update your avatar. I'm just sayin'...
wink.gif

No kiddin'...I'll even donate a couple I took from our impromptu trip to DV last month...

Attachments

• IMG_8248.JPG
    IMG_8248.JPG
    133.7 KB · Views: 144
  • IMG_8311.JPG
    IMG_8311.JPG
    82.2 KB · Views: 140
I'll leave it to Marc to post interior pics if he wants...suffice it to say it is very spacious and designed well. The camper as a whole seems much larger than it actually is.

suffice it to say it is very spacious and designed well. The camper as a whole seems much larger than it actually is.

And that is why I want to see some photos!

Back
Top Bottom