Super Bloom

We drove through Carrizo Plains during a super bloom. Unbelievable the amount of people who just parked willy nilly on the only road and then tromped through the flowers for their Instagram moment. Side note: that area is infamous for rattlesnakes. ‍♂️

There are literally millions of acres of wildflowers in the southwest in a good year. Why people need to swarm in a few areas, for any purpose, has been a mystery to me my whole life. Perhaps I am anti-social.

Vic Harder said:
Hmm... Doesn't "I wander the west" = anti-social? Myself included of course!
Yup! Weird, since I spent my whole working career doing hyper-social work.

As far as I know there's no law making me be social to people I don't want to be around.

I enjoy socializing with people of my choice.

Yes WTW = anti social.

But stop and say hello if we cross paths.
I do like to talk.
Frank

Casa Escarlata Robles Too said:
As far as I know there's no law making me be social to people I don't want to be around.

I enjoy socializing with people of my choice.
Yes WTW = anti social.

But stop and say hello if we cross paths.
I do like to talk.
Frank
Wanna borrow my sign?

57543E59-1FAC-4E5B-9356-D5954AEA4703.jpeg

I learned a long time ago that people have an incredible ability to be stupid. Nothing in these long years since has shown me otherwise, unfortunately.

Social Media. No imagination or desire/ability to explore (study patterns to find lesser known areas) People all end up at the same place. I often wonder if these people actually enjoy themselves or if it is only about the photo to post and the bragging rights. I certainly would not want to brag about being an idiot unless there was a certain amount of humor in the story and I certainly would not enjoy a day spent with hoards of people no matter how many flowers there are.

teledork said:
Social Media. No imagination or desire/ability to explore (study patterns to find lesser known areas) People all end up at the same place. I often wonder if these people actually enjoy themselves or if it is only about the photo to post and the bragging rights. I certainly would not want to brag about being an idiot unless there was a certain amount of humor in the story and I certainly would not enjoy a day spent with hoards of people no matter how many flowers there are.
Thinking on the bright side, I'm darn glad these idiots are all going to the same place.

ski3pin said:
Thinking on the bright side, I'm darn glad these idiots are all going to the same place.
Yes! Thank our lucky stars the herd instinct is strong in most people.

My wife is a botanist and loves native plants.

One year on Carrizo Plains during a heavy influx of turistas who were trampling over plants following each other around I almost had to restrain her in the truck to keep her from civil disobedience.

Humans evolved as tribes.....as soon as you assemble more than a tribes' worth brains/behaviors go crazy.

David Graves

-Inundated by tourists on the north Oregon coast-

DavidGraves said:
My wife is a botanist and loves native plants.

One year on Carrizo Plains during a heavy influx of turistas who were trampling over plants following each other around I almost had to restrain her in the truck to keep her from civil disobedience.

Humans evolved as tribes.....as soon as you assemble more than a tribes' worth brains/behaviors go crazy.

David Graves

-Inundated by tourists on the north Oregon coast-
Reminds me of one of my grandfather’s analogies…

One boy, all boy
Two boys, half a boy
Three boys, no boy at all

Back
Top Bottom