Super Duty Lift suggestions

smlobx

Lost again
I have a F-350 CC SRW that I want to get ready for overland travel. My goal is to get a FWC Granby camper and head out when we retire in a couple of years. The truck has plenty of power but due to its long wheelbase I feel that a small lift would help in clearance issues.

Can anyone recommend a lift that would work on this rig?

Thanks.

My camping/playing truck (which also serves as my "property management" work rig), is an '02 F350 diesel crew cab long bed SRW. It has the OEM camper package and towing package. The rear springs have a 2" block/spacer (OEM for the SRW F350 and the sole difference between an OEM F350 and a F250, or so I've read) so it sat higher in the rear as stock. About 6 years ago I had a so-called "leveling kit" installed on the front. The kit included new front leaf springs, U-bolts, bushings, and all related hardware. The OEM front springs were toast by then, likely from supporting 1,200 lbs of diesel engine, so I needed something other than simple blocks or spacers. I had the 4-Wheel Parts store here in Raleigh, NC do the work and of course the kit was purchased through them.

Since then, and in anticipation of heavier loads in the bed and/or towed tongue weight, I purchased small bolt-on blocks which add to the short "overload" leaf, itself situated over the main rear leaf spring pack. The bolt-on blocks have the effect of contacting the overload spring stop with less downward deflection of the bed, in essence causing the overload leaf to become a more active part of the suspension. It of course does not constitute a lift per se, but it does keep the ride more level when loaded. The downside of the bolt-on blocks is that it adversely affects the rear suspension's articulation, but I've got no business rock-crawling a 20' long 8,000 lb truck to begin with.

Foy

Clarification: The bolt-ons at the rear replace the OEM rubber bump stop pad where the single overload leaf contacts. They replace all 4 of the OEM bump-stop pads, so they're at the front and rear of each side's rear overload spring leaf.

Mine are TorkLift Stable-Loads.

Foy

Unless you're packing a full complement of iron Dutch oven and skillets I don't think the over-loads will be needed on a 3/4t or 1t pick-up with just a pop-top. They sure aren't under our CTD. I had the under-riding type o/l's flipped upside down. This keeps the ride height stock and gives a nice rounded surface for the spring to lay down onto when well compressed - thus avoiding kinking the leaves. It also made a huge improvement in the ride quality at the rear, and each axle has great influence on the other.

With the Ford's top-riding o/l leaves this isn't an option. I'd be very tempted to try the truck without them in place at all. If you occasionally will need the O/L's I'd use short urethane bump-stops as spacers. Install them when need the O/L's and remove them the rest of the time. When the CTD's O/L's were out getting flipped over the tips were drilled for the same purpose though with our camper being full-time in the truck I don't know that I'll ever need to use that option.

Thanks guys.
The '06 I have has front coil springs and the rear leaf springs have 4" spacer blocks (the F-250 of that year has 2" blocks)

I really don't think the weight of the camper will be any issue as I can carry 4000# legally but I'm interested in getting slightly better approach and departure angles.

Foy does the 4 wheel parts store do any locker work? I'm thinking of getting a rear locker and I'll be coming through there on 7/1 on my way to OBX and could stop in and see them..

smlobx said:
Thanks guys.
The '06 I have has front coil springs and the rear leaf springs have 4" spacer blocks (the F-250 of that year has 2" blocks)

I really don't think the weight of the camper will be any issue as I can carry 4000# legally but I'm interested in getting slightly better approach and departure angles.

Foy does the 4 wheel parts store do any locker work? I'm thinking of getting a rear locker and I'll be coming through there on 7/1 on my way to OBX and could stop in and see them..
It's been several years since I've done any business at the Raleigh 4WP store, not because of any dissatisfaction, only that my truck was well situated and not in need of anything other than maintenance which I do myself.

I feel sure they install lockers--they're bound to, in fact, since 4WP sells them and the onboard air system most guys will use to power them. I'd reach out to them for scheduling right away, though, because my experience with them is their shop stays booked up several weeks out.

Their toll-free # is 800-269-5062 and the street address is 7109 Glenwood Ave, Raleigh 27612. Located conveniently in northwest Raleigh for arrival from points north and west of Raleigh. Glenwood Ave is US 70 Business and the 4WP store is about 3 miles inside of the I-540/US 70 junction out by the airport.

Foy

Here is what I did on my super duty.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 155
Previously I was using just airbags to help level the truck a bit. The spring shop added two leafs to the stock leaf pack on each side. This resulted in a lift of about 1.5 to 2" when unloaded. Works well for this truck too since the front springs might be higher due to the snow plow package being fitted.

I've left the airbags installed just in case, however I don't think I'll need much air pressure in them. I've installed the Daystar cradles even considering the Firestone airbag warning against them.

Attachments

• spring 2.jpg
    spring 2.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 103
Foy said:
Clarification: The bolt-ons at the rear replace the OEM rubber bump stop pad where the single overload leaf contacts. They replace all 4 of the OEM bump-stop pads, so they're at the front and rear of each side's rear overload spring leaf.

Mine are TorkLift Stable-Loads.

Foy
I've now run my truck a thousand miles or so fairly heavily-laden with tools and power equipment, enough that between the heavy fiberglass shell and the tools, etc, my OEM overload leafs are in constant contact, or very nearly so, iwth the TorkLift Stable Load replacement bump-stops. Previously I'd had about an inch, inch and a half of travel before the OEM bump stops contacted the single overload leaf.

The outcome is mixed. On the one hand, the rear stays level with essentially zero sag. I expect this will be the case when I hitch up the popup camper and head to Montana soon, too. The downside is the ride: It's gone from stiff (OEM with no TorkLifts) to filling-rattling buckboard stiff. I am already not looking forward to the cross-country trip's concrete Interstate segments. Could be some long rough days. If airbags would provide a less jarring ride, they'd be worth considering.

Foy

4" lift with some 35's should get you what you want and is how I'd do it. Maybe a leveling kit if you don't what that much lift. If leveling, I'd avoid a spacer in the front and find a kit (if available) and get new coils. At 2" the geometry on the front should be an issue. At 4" it might be.

My rig is older and I did a leveling kit. Ended up with 4.5" up front (tired springs I guess) and then had to replace the 2" block with a 4" block in the rear. I like the height and gave me the extra clearance I was looking for. I'm running 255's which are a little bigger than 33's and it works well. I also have airbags and I can level the truck up perfectly. It goes everywhere I've taken it but like you said, I'm not rock crawling either. Ride seems fine but I'd like to get some rancho 9000's which I believe would help the ride some more since they are adjustable. I tow some toys so the bags are must for me.

My 2 cents...

River I'm not sure I want to go up to 4 1/2" as my wife is short and that might be an issue for her.
Hopefully we won't be going somewhere where that would be an issue but you never know...

smlobx said:
Fuzzy- what did you do to the front end or is that the snowplow package?
The front looks to me to be stock. I read somewhere on the web that the F250 snow plow package has +1 front springs possibly 1" taller than non-snowplow springs.

Back
Top Bottom