Suspension for 2nd gen Tacoma with Fleet?

Dipodomys

Advanced Member
I'm looking at getting a 2nd generation Tacoma with a Fleet slide-in (front dinette ~1,350 lbs. dry) and ARB steel bumper with a winch. I know that similar rigs are notoriously overweight, but seem to manage okay nonetheless. This one already has an added leaf spring (or maybe a whole replacement pack) from Boise Spring Works, so there's no sag in the rear, but I wasn't crazy about how it handled on a washboard gravel road when I took it for a test drive. So I'm thinking about how I can improve the suspension for both on and off-road travel with all that weight. Note that I have no plans to do any hard-core rock crawling, but a lot of the "roads" where I travel and camp are really more like rough ATV trails.

Option 1: Timbren active off-road bump stops
That would protect things from the current suspension bottoming out hard and probably improve handing in the bumps. It's also relatively inexpensive and trivial to install.

Option 2: New coil-over suspension
I like what I've read about the Old Man Emu BP-51 suspension, but that would be an expensive upgrade and I'd only want to do it if it'll make a big difference. How well would you expect that to work with my overloaded taco on trails, washboard roads, and pavement?

Option 3: Something else?
You guys are the kings and queens of Four Wheel Campers, so I'm counting on your wisdom!

Edit: I just realized that since my question is about modifying my truck, and not specifically about the Four Wheel Camper, I probably posted this to the wrong sub-forum. Feel free to move it to the right place if you're a mod, and thanks!

The FWC dealer in Boise, Idaho also manufactures spring sets. Because he understands the nature of the camper, I ordered some beefed up rear springs from him. It was a pretty good deal. They made them and shipped them all the way to Tacoma, Washington for around $400. The cost is probably higher now. But I do recommend talking to the guy because like I said, he understands to set up. In addition to the beefed up rear springs, I changed out the front shocks to the adjustable Billsteins and added an inch of ht. drives real fine.

Before I changed out the springs, I added some of those airbags. Never was satisfied with that. Never had any confidence in them.

Back
Top Bottom