Suspension upgrade for an old Superduty

Foy

Resident Geologist
Ladies and gentlemen,

Some will recall my WTW vehicle is a venerable F350 Crew Cab longbed diesel. She's got 266,000 miles and from what Blackstone Labs tell me from their engine oil and ATF analysis, she's good as new under the hood and as far back as the transmisson output shaft. With the specter of + or - $60,000 to replace her with a new model, and with but an average of 10,000 miles/year now that I've got "Pop's wittle twuck" (quote from my grandson) as a DD, I'm planning on keeping her for at least 5-7 more years, dings, scratches, and minor dents and all.

But, the springs are tired and noticeably flattened out. I made a poor decision nearly 7 years ago and installed a low-priced "leveling kit" from Four Wheel Parts which consisted primarily of replacement front leaf springs to provide a 2.5" lift and thus eliminate the down-in-front rake which the OEM front leafs provided. I say it was a poor decision since I now don't think the replacement springs, now having been on the truck for 80,000 miles, were load-rated to carry a 1,200 lb engine. They're badly flattened out.

So, a local spring shop within a Fleet Pride company store location gave her a good look-over yesterday and the rep and I then perused a thick catalog of replacement options. As of the moment, he's working up a quote to replace the front springs (2,200 lb rating according to the spring code in the VIN) with a pair of 2,600 lb springs which will have about a 7/8th inch greater arch. He'll fabricate a 1" spacer block and run the center bolt through it in proper fashion to provide a shade under 2" of lift up front. On the rears, he's suggesting leaf packs which were OEM for a dually but which will fit my SRW truck. They're rated at 3,000 lbs just as the originals are (and only the front leafs were changed in early 2010--the rears are the originals), but they've got about 3/4" more arch and another 1/8th or so spring pack thickness for nearly an inch of lift rearward.

With all of that as the backstory, I need to choose the new shocks which Fleet Pride will install along with the new springs. I'm pretty much settled on Bilsteins and am leaning towards the 5100s. From some reading on Bilstein's website and from a lengthy series of AutoAnything reviews, I have the understanding that the Bilstein 4600 HD and the 5100s are the same shock internally: 46mm cylinder bore and identical valving. The differences being that the 5100s are the recommended application for lifted trucks having longer installed height and that the 5100s finish is a brushed stainless steel tube rather than the bright yellow painted finish on the 4600s. The 4 Pro Comp MX6 Adjustables installed in 2010 had a painted finish which chipped and rusted away within a couple of years, and we're not even in real "salted roads" country.

I'm planning a call to Four Wheel Parts today (likely vendor of whatever Bilsteins I ultimately decide upon) and am hoping to get connected with someone familiar with the 5100s in order to find out more of the fitment parameters given what my new figures will be. I should have 19.5-20.0" installed height up front and 24.5" rear. I prefer the 5100s over the 4600s due to the longer-lived finish alone, but I need to make sure they're going to fit properly with the mild lift as opposed to a more normal 3 to 6" lift encountered when the discussion is about "lifted trucks".

So, any experience with Bilsteins, either 5100s or 4600s on a full-sized truck, particularly a 3/4 ton or 1-ton? Thoughts or advice as to any fitment issues with the minimal lift I'm looking at?

Thanks!

Foy

I put the Bilstein 5100 shocks on the front of my 2016 F-350. Night and day difference from the factory shocks even though they only had 10k miles on them. Fitment was perfect. The Bilstein 5100 series can be had for lifted and non lifted applications

I would strongly suggest calling Deaver Spring and talking to them about your needs. It is easy to build a spring to carry the weight. It is another thing entirely to build a spring that will carry the weight AND ride nicely. I have confidence that Deaver can do this and I don't have that confidence in almost all other spring mfg's.

I could be wrong, but I am under the impression that the Bils 4600's are a smaller damper body, and with a heavy truck using this type of damper you want as much oil displacement as you can get. The finish on the 5100's may look like brushed stainless, but all of those that I or friends have bought are plated steel. The plating isn't terribly thick and they will surface rust in the salt air here on the Coastal Desert. Simplest solution might be to wrap them with what racers call "helicopter tape". It's that tape that late models have applied to them in high abrasion areas of the body. Originally developed to keep airborne grit & rocks from damaging carbon-fibre helicopter rotor blades. Can buy it by the roll from places like Pegasus Racing. The lower buck solution may be gas pipe tape, dunno...

I put a 2.5" F-350 Old Man Emu kit (with the overload spring for my FWC Hawk in the bed full time) on my now sold 2003 F-250. I also installed Bilstein shocks. I could not have been happier. I think the old truck with the OME kit and Bilsteins rode better both on highway and off-road then my new 2016 F-350. I wasn't looking for the lift, but, the added clearance ended up being a nice thing.

OME kits are designed in Australia and manufactured in Malaysia. The OME Dakar springs were plush!

Purchased through OK4WD in NJ since they offered free shipping (this is a heavy kit and freight only shipping on a pallet).

My experiences with OME have been mixed. The front's for my '84 Xcab Yota 4X4 worked extremely well and rode very nice with Bilstein 5100's. The set for my FJ-60 rode like a truck, worse than stock, with Fox 2.0 dampers. To be fair, the FJ's springs are very short. Pretty hard to make a short spring ride nice. It is good to have a data point from a similar rig.

Many thanks for the thoughtful replies. I still haven't heard back from the gentleman which was so thorough with his measurements and catalog search, and whether or not I do business with him on the springs, I'll definitely have to go with the Bilstein 5100s. Will post the final selection and first impressions, as I'm hoping to have everything done by Thanksgiving when we'll head to the Blue Ridge for the holiday.

Foy

If there is a Bilstein 51XX made specifically for your truck I would buy it over the generic 5100. We've been quite happy with the application specific 5165's on our CTD. I can fade them on a wash-board road, but I have to work at it pretty hard.

Yes, further discussion with the folks at Four Wheel Parts provided them with the inputs (really just installed length) needed to suggest Bilstein 51xx for the front and 51xy for the rear. I went with the local FleetPride spring shop since I felt like they'd stand behind the components and the installation to the greatest extent. I chose front springs with the same arch but with 2,600 lb rating vs 2,200 (each rounded) and the rears are the standard 3,300 lb rating. With 1 3/8" fabricated spacer blocks in front, it sits very nearly level--just up a tad in the rear.

The job was finished yesterday and I put around 30 miles on varying highway surfaces, from billiard table smooth to rough old concrete Interstate. I can't say it drives like it was new since it had 96,500 miles on it when I got it, but it definitely drives the best it has since I bought it 12.5 years ago--probably as good as a truck with nearly 270,000 miles is going to. One of the shackle bracket bushings (the right front) was worn out and the bottom leaf on the left front spring pack was broken in two. The new rear springs are arched at OEM specs and the receiver hitch came up 1 1/2" by virtue of the new springs. I had the Torklift Stable-Load helper spring bump-stops removed and stock Ford thin rubber bump-stops installed, so I'm back to 2-3" of spring travel before the helper spring leaf engages. Small wonder it rides better! I had beat that old girl half to death.

So, maybe she'll keep on chugging along on fuel oil for a few more years, at least until I get my official Geezer card. Heck, that's only 8 months from now if age 62 is the threshold, so maybe I need to be targeting Social Security full retirement age of 66 and 2 months!

I appreciate the inputs greatly.

Foy

Back
Top Bottom