Swapping out overland MPPT for victron

I think the 712 you refer to is the Victron BVM 712 which is a battery monitor not an MPPT Solar Charge Controller. The Victron BVM-712 Smart Battery Monitor has bluetooth built in and does not require a VE Direct dongle (on the other handt he BVM-702 does not have built in Bluetooth but you can add it by plugging in a VE Direct Dongle to give it the same features as the BVM-712).

If you do not already have one it is a good battery monitor. I generally buy my Victron electronics from PKYS. I have gotten good support for questions as well as good service for the one return for a part that was damaged.

You do not say what your solar system setup is (how many watts, what size solar charge controller etc) so I cannot make any recoomendations on an appropriate Victron MPPT Solar Charge Controller.

I use a Blue Solar 75/15 on my boat with two 100 watt panels and a Smart Solar 100/30 on my FWC camper which has a single 360 watt panel.

Ckent323

You’re correct, I’m referring to the battery monitor. My system is the overland solar 160 watt panel with the (2) 6 volt batteries. All of it installed by four wheel camper. The current battery monitor is from overland solar , my guess a rebranded victron.

If you are referring to the round gauge the factory installed, that is the gauge for the MPPT. If you don’t want to install another round gauge, get the Victron SmartShunt instead of the 712.

Vic,

I tried to look up the Overland Solar MPPT readout. I did not find it on their website (or an MPPT controller).

I did see the Victron MPPT controller readout that looks like the BVM-712 and a video of what looks like an Overland Solar rebranded version of the Victron readout. I was previously unaware of this device although I have seen the rectangular control readout panel made by Victron.

Are you referring to an Overland Solar version of the Victron Energy SCC900500000 MPPT Control?

Best I can tell it does not take the place of the BVM-700 series of battery monitors or the MPPT controllers, it is an interface for monitoring and programming an MPPT controller equipped with a VE Direct port instead of using the VE direct app on a smart phone. Based on my viewing of the device I think using the Victron App on a smart phone is easier to read and use.

ckent323 said:
Vic,

I tried to look up the Overland Solar MPPT readout. I did not find it on their website (or an MPPT controller).

I did see the Victron MPPT controller that looks like the BVM-712. I was previously unaware of this device.

Are you referring to an Overland Solar version of the Victron Energy SCC900500000 MPPT Control?

Best I can tell it does not take the place of the BVM-700 series of battery monitors or the MPPT controllers, it is an interface for monitoring and programming an MPPT controller equipped with a VE Direct port instead of using the VE direct app on a smart phone.
I think we are in total agreement. Not sure what I said to think that we were not. Yes, the factory Overland solar controller and round readout appear to be rebranded Victron MPPT gear. Probably the 75/15.

I was suggesting that the OP leave that be and get the SmartShunt in addition to having that readout, which (as you know) displays different information.

I appreciate the responses, I’ll do one of the two, the shunt or the 712 likely whichever is easier.

My wife and I like having the battery charge state available in the camper at the push of a button. I use the phone app for the BMV-712 but still like the 712 display, and my wife only uses the 712. In my opinion, if you have a BMV-712 you don’t need the MPPT display located for regular viewing - just accessible for changing settings (which would be rare once you figure out how you want it set). That may ease your installation by allowing you to put the 712 display where the MPPT display is, and then mount or just tuck away the MPPT display inside a cabinet, thus not needing to make a new hole.

Jon R said:
My wife and I like having the battery charge state available in the camper at the push of a button. I use the phone app for the BMV-712 but still like the 712 display, and my wife only uses the 712. In my opinion, if you have a BMV-712 you don’t need the MPPT display located for regular viewing - just accessible for changing settings (which would be rare once you figure out how you want it set). That may ease your installation by allowing you to put the 712 display where the MPPT display is, and then mount or just tuck away the MPPT display inside a cabinet, thus not needing to make a new hole.
I think I’ll only swap out for the bmv 712, my title on the thread is incorrect t and as I understand it I can just put in the bmv-712 and get the information I want. The camper is a 2020 model so I think most the stuff is pretty current. I could get by on the current overland display but when I bring the wife and kids along which is spring/summer/fall I’d like to get a better understanding of just how much juice is being used.

FWIW, I went through a simiar process with the factory Overland Solar setup. I wanted better data on our solar usage so I could figure out how the factory system was meeting our power needs and whether I needed to consider upgrades. So, first I bought the Bluetooth dongle and installed it in the VE Direct port on the Overland Solar MPPT controller. To do this, you have to uplug the cable to the panel meter, so it goes dark. However, the dongle allows you to connect to the OS mppt controller using the Victron Connect app (it is recognized as a Blue Solar device), which provides greatly enhanced control and monitoring.

It quickly became apparent that I also needed to add a battery monitor to get the kind of information I needed, and the easiest way to do that was with the SmartShunt. After monitoring the system for a few trips, I decided the the factory system was barely adequate for us - especially on very hot days where the refrigerator was running at max, we had both fans running, and we were parked in the shade whenever possible. So, I scheduled a trip to Reno to have KP Pawley install some upgrades. Right about this time, the factory solar panel failed, so it became more urgent. In addition to upgrading the wiring from the truck, he installed a 330W panel and SmartSolar 100/30 mppt controller. Although we didn't upgrade to lithium batteries at this time, I decided to prep for an eventual upgrade by having him install an Orion DC-DC converter/charger so that when our AGM batteries need to be replaced we can just drop in lithium.

Frankly, the thing that had the most impact on all of this was the upgraded wiring from the truck, which enables good charging from the truck while we are driving.

John R,

My setups are the same, BVM Battery Monitor display and use bluetooth and VE app to monitor and control the Solar Controller.

I am somewhat surprised that FWC does not include a battery monitor in the system they install - or at least strongly recommend it as an add on option. It is an important part of a robust solar system.

Heinphoto,

Vic, KP and I are of a similar mind on solar panels. That is, install the largest panel (in watts) you can fit on the roof coupled with an appropriate charge controller (Victron 100/30 is a good one) and a good battery monitor (e.g. Victon BVM-712).

That approach ensures the most power for the least weight. Large panels are not very expensive these days, for example I put a 360 watt LG Solar panel on my camper and it cost about $330 and weighs about 43 pounds with the support frame and cabling. (I have seen 320/330 watt panels in other brands for $250). It replaced two 100 watt panels that each weighed 23 -24 pounds (including the support frame and cabling) and cost $125 each (including the homemade support frame and Y pigtail to connect the two panels). Even on cloudy and rainy days I get a useful amount of power production whereas previously I was wishing I had a third 100 watt panel on the cloudy and rainy days.

Of course we all have different needs and budgets and there is no one best solution that will suit all. ;-)

Thanks for the information heinphoto, I’m leaning towards installing the bmv-712 since it sounds like it’ll monitor the batteries as well as provide the solar data, if I’m understanding all this correctly. In my previous camper a swift model I had 2 12 volt batteries and the same solar set up. Based on my trips it did well. On my new set up with the hawk I went with 6 volt batteries as I figured I’d get some longer trips in as my girls aren’t toddlers anymore. So far it’s worked out well. When it’s time to replace components I’ll go with lithium and higher wattage panels and a trip to Reno to have it done. For now I’d just like a better understanding of my usage solar/battery. I agree with ckent323 in not understanding why four wheel camper doesn’t offer this as an option up front, perhaps they will in the future.

The BMV will not directly tell you the solar charging information, and it will not allow you to change settings on your solar charger. It will allow you to see battery voltage, state of charge based on integration of current relative to a setting of 100% charge level when the battery is fully charged, and current in or out of the battery. That current level can be used to see the output of the solar system if the loads are off or known. You will want to either retain that MPPT control gage/switches at least inside a cabinet or set up your MPPT for Bluetooth control.

To add to this, the mppt controls how the solar panels charge the batteries. The 712 tells you the results of charging and using your batteries

Vic,

Exactly.

John R, Heinphoto, et al,

Is the Overland Solar MPPT bluetooth enabled like the VIctron Smart Solar MPPT controllers?

If not will it accept a bluetooth dongle?

If either of those apply then is there a smart phone app for the Overpland Solar MPPT controller?

The Victron VE app does allow programming of the bluetooth enabled Victron Controllers and Battery Monitors via a smart phone (or, I think, tablet or laptop).

My solar charging systems use Victron electronics with bluetooth and I only have the BVM battery display for convenience when in the boat or camper. Most of the time I use my iphone and the Victron app so there has been no need for a separate MPPT Charge controller display

While using the smart shunt would eliminate the necessity of the Battery Monitor Display, I think it is a good idea to have it in case you don't have your phone available for any reason. However, to the best of my understanding it is possible to eliminate the MPPT and Battery displays and use only a smart phone (or tablet or laptop) and access/program everything via bluetooth.

Craig

ckent323 said:
Is the Overland Solar MPPT bluetooth enabled like the VIctron Smart Solar MPPT controllers?

If not will it accept a bluetooth dongle?

If either of those apply then is there a smart phone app for the Overpland Solar MPPT controller?
The Overland Solar mppt controller is not bluetooth enabled, but it does accept the Victron bluetooth dongle. It is then recognized as a Victron Blue Solar mppt controller in the VictronConnect app.

-Scott

heinphoto said:
The Overland Solar mppt controller is not bluetooth enabled, but it does accept the Victron bluetooth dongle. It is then recognized as a Victron Blue Solar mppt controller in the VictronConnect app.
-Scott
So if you plug in the dongle to the mppt and the battery display goes dark, is there a way to power the battery display or the bmv-712? Zero Declination sells the bmv-712 and the victron Bluetooth dongle as a package specifically for the FWC overland solar system. I had already bought the Bluetooth dongle and just bought the bmv-712, just not seeing how both can be powered from the mppt at the same time unless the bmv-712 is hardwired power? My mppt is the overland solar 100/15.

bwag said:
So if you plug in the dongle to the mppt and the battery display goes dark, is there a way to power the battery display or the bmv-712? Zero Declination sells the bmv-712 and the victron Bluetooth dongle as a package specifically for the FWC overland solar system. I had already bought the Bluetooth dongle and just bought the bmv-712, just not seeing how both can be powered from the mppt at the same time unless the bmv-712 is hardwired power? My mppt is the overland solar 100/15.
With the BMV-712, the shunt is mounted near the battery in the battery box with power supplied directly by the battery. There is a cable that connects between the shunt and the BMV-712 display that provides both power and communication signals. The BMV-712 display replaces the current Overland Solar display in the panel (they are exactly the same size). So, you would connect the dongle directly to the OS mppt controller and remove the OS display and cable from the panel and replace it with the BMV-12 display. You would then need to route the cable from the shunt to the display.

In my case the battery box is located a long way through lots of cabinetry from the spot where the display is mounted. So, I decided to go with the SmartShunt instead of the BMV-712 just to make the installation easier.

-Scott

heinphoto said:
With the BMV-712, the shunt is mounted near the battery in the battery box with power supplied directly by the battery. There is a cable that connects between the shunt and the BMV-712 display that provides both power and communication signals. The BMV-712 display replaces the current Overland Solar display in the panel (they are exactly the same size). So, you would connect the dongle directly to the OS mppt controller and remove the OS display and cable from the panel and replace it with the BMV-12 display. You would then need to route the cable from the shunt to the display.

In my case the battery box is located a long way through lots of cabinetry from the spot where the display is mounted. So, I decided to go with the SmartShunt instead of the BMV-712 just to make the installation easier.

-Scott
That makes sense using the shunt, I’m not the best with all the terminology here’s a link to what I’m referring to being sold as a fwc upgrade to the installed overland solar unit. They’re selling the bmv-712 and the ve direct Bluetooth dongle as a pair.

https://www.zerodeclination.com/https/wwwzerodeclinationcom/shop/xq1f7ucjijnh4yrpxyjd2nbx2g8o2n

Back
Top Bottom