Sway Bars

randygirl

Ya'll have been a wealth of info for me, soI thought I would throw something out to ya for help again.

Have a 2004 AC 4x4 Tundra with a 2002 Hawk. The truck has the TRD off road package (not sure exactly what that entails)

I have air bags and "E" range tires.

I live in Florida and have only driven flat straight roads so far with my set-up.

What are your thoughts on sway bars? Would I get back and front?? or just 1 of them? Seems to ride fine here, but haven't been in the mountains or off road yet... Once I am out West, will be hard to do myself...

Thanks for your opinions..

Randy

Does your rig sway more than you would like going in and out of driveways, or around corners? If you are fine with the way it handles, don't waste the money. In my opinion and I do have a rear added sway bar, you will already know if you need one. Also, you may find if you are just adding them as you want to and not really need them, they can become a bit of a hassle. I have for some reason been breaking the link arm's every few months. Even though the manufacturer(Helwig)sends me new ones at no cost, its a little hassle changing them.

Have fun out there and take that rig to the mountains.

Just my opinion. I look forward to hearing what Ted has to say.

Darryl

You all ready have one up front.

With air bags and E rated tires I'm thinking you don't need a rear swaybar. E rated tires take up the roll in the tire sidewalls around a curve. The air bags will damped the body roll from the axle somewhat.

good tires,air bags, and some common sense, don't think the sway bars would be required, but you would be the best judge of that, what does your truck feel like cornering now?? Does it lean alot or feel ok?

Ya'll have been a wealth of info for me, soI thought I would throw something out to ya for help again.

Have a 2004 AC 4x4 Tundra with a 2002 Hawk. The truck has the TRD off road package (not sure exactly what that entails)

I have air bags and "E" range tires.

I live in Florida and have only driven flat straight roads so far with my set-up.

What are your thoughts on sway bars? Would I get back and front?? or just 1 of them? Seems to ride fine here, but haven't been in the mountains or off road yet... Once I am out West, will be hard to do myself...

Thanks for your opinions..

Randy

I have almost the same set up. 2005 AC 4x4 with TRD package and 2002 Hawk. Have air bags and E rated tires. Added Hedwig rear bar because I wanted a little more solid ride. Had to change lanes QUICKLY at 65 mph when a car in blew a tire in front of me on I-5. I could feel the sway bar stop the roll as I changed lanes. The cost of the sway bar is paid in full not sure what would have happened with out it. Cheep insurance if you every need it.

Bill in Stockton CA

Since you already have air bags, depending how you have them plumbed will affect the swaying of the truck as well. If you have them plumbed through a single fill, they will exchange air between themselves going around a corner exacerbating any swaying problems. If they are plumbed seperately, they will resist sway much better.

Back
Top Bottom