Swift camper opinions

Rob85

Advanced Member
I have been thinking about upgrading to a full size truck to purchase a larger FWC.
I currently have a 2008 Toyota Tacoma double cab short bed. For those of you who own a Swift, is the camper worth it or would you upgrade your truck and a larger model of a camper?

If you have pictures available of the interior, could you please post? Thanks

No size regrets yet in our Swift on 2011 Tacoma DCSB! We like the size inside but admit a third person could maybe make it tight. We can easily fit four adults and more if they needed to be out of the rain for example. We're making a few personalized mods to the inside so interior photos will be up soon on our build thread on Expedition Portal or on Instagram on @kimmor1 and @jesmor3

2b6735f2c9020d9646693383726fa339.jpg

Is your Swift a shell or loaded. I noticed your table is different. You might want to consider a blog for build photos and especially your travel. The blog is very easy to load photos. You can provide a link from trip reports to your blog. Look forward to seeing more photos. jd

Sent from my SM-G900V using Wander The West mobile app

Thank you for sharing and I am looking forward to your interior update photos.

Rob85 said:
I have been thinking about upgrading to a full size truck to purchase a larger FWC.
I currently have a 2008 Toyota Tacoma double cab short bed. For those of you who own a Swift, is the camper worth it or would you upgrade your truck and a larger model of a camper?

If you have pictures available of the interior, could you please post? Thanks
I'm in the exact same situation. I love my 2012 Frontier and I already spent the money getting it setup for expedition/4wd travel. There really is not a price difference between a Swift and Hawk so I'm having trouble with the idea of spending this kind of money on such a small camper. Obviously there are advantages to the smaller overall rig size but I'm afraid we will out grow it. You're gaining 10" in length and 5" in width with a Hawk, doesn't sound like much but I'm sure it makes a huge difference when spending time in the unit.

I think a lot depends on how many people and how much time you plan on spending inside the camper. I have a Tacoma double cab long bed with an Eagle and it is just fine for my wife and I but would be crowded with more people or if we planned on spending a lot of time inside the camper.

I too am thinking that I might grow out of the Swift model as well. I do a lot of camping in the summer where I would like to do more in the winter.I am thinking about buying a 2015/16 Tacoma DC TRD off road with a six foot bed to be able to purchase the Fleet model with the front dinette. This floor plan really appeals to what I am looking for. The only draw back is financing another truck and a camper.

I know the Swift model is 10 inches shorter than the Fleet, but with 75 inches across I do not understand why they would not place the couch there, and configure the fridge or the sink to the passenger side. This would also give 75 inches of sleeping space versus 70. FW did have the "Cajita" model for a short time, where the sink was placed in the passenger side rear corner. The stove and fridge remained on the driver side. The Cajita also did not have the cab over bed. It was an interesting attempt to appeal to a certain market I guess. I am sure the Swift can be configured in different ways. A custom build would take a lot of time and money from what I have seen as well.

Hey Im new to WTW and just got a fully equipped 2016 Swift. After years of research and saving $ I finally made it happen. I have slept in a fleet and swift and could not tell a huge difference between the two. Having different floor plan options is nice but I like the pull out couch option best either way. I needed the backseat space for my 9 year old black lab and extra storage, but did not like how long the 4 door six food bed truck was. So that put me with the 4 door short bed. I love how small and nimble the combo is. Has great ground clearance and I can turn around on a single track dirt road if I need too. The camper itself, I feel is very luxurious as far as camping goes. I have always been a backpacker, minimalist. With that mindset this thing feels like a 5 star hotel. If you pack lightweight and smart, their is plenty of storage space. Im 6' tall and I can lay out on the bed sideways while my dog get his own couch bed. Or I can lay on the couch no problem for stealth camping. I Have only had it a month and have already slept in it 11 times. Only winter camping so far in jackson hole area and glacier park, but Im sure summer camping is even easier.

full

full

full

full

full

full

Congrats on the new camper. Love the Lab, our yellow lab turns 6 Saturday. I would love to winter camp, but my wife says no cold weather camping.

IF you are going to invest in a large truck I would sure also gain the extra room of a larger camper like a Hawk. The truck won't know it but you will. Or stay with your small truck and enjoy the easier wheeling. Big truck/small camper? Worst of both worlds IMHO.

WanderinGnarnia said:
Hey Im new to WTW and just got a fully equipped 2016 Swift. After years of research and saving $ I finally made it happen. I have slept in a fleet and swift and could not tell a huge difference between the two. Having different floor plan options is nice but I like the pull out couch option best either way. I needed the backseat space for my 9 year old black lab and extra storage, but did not like how long the 4 door six food bed truck was. So that put me with the 4 door short bed. I love how small and nimble the combo is. Has great ground clearance and I can turn around on a single track dirt road if I need too. The camper itself, I feel is very luxurious as far as camping goes. I have always been a backpacker, minimalist. With that mindset this thing feels like a 5 star hotel. If you pack lightweight and smart, their is plenty of storage space. Im 6' tall and I can lay out on the bed sideways while my dog get his own couch bed. Or I can lay on the couch no problem for stealth camping. I Have only had it a month and have already slept in it 11 times. Only winter camping so far in jackson hole area and glacier park, but Im sure summer camping is even easier.
Thank you very much for the insight, especially when you have experienced and slept in both models. Your pictures are great and it really clears things up for me on my purchase. I am going to stay with my truck and go with the swift model.

Durango1 said:
IF you are going to invest in a large truck I would sure also gain the extra room of a larger camper like a Hawk. The truck won't know it but you will. Or stay with your small truck and enjoy the easier wheeling. Big truck/small camper? Worst of both worlds IMHO.
I have always been a small truck guy due to the back roads I like to get on. We all know some of those turns in the hills can be tight and with a smaller truck its a lot easier. Putting a camper on it will make it a tad bit more challenging as far as weight wise. I plan on getting out there and camping in the accessible back country where some larger trucks can't get too or have a really difficult time getting too. Thank you for the input for it has helped me out.

WanderinGnarnia said:
I do have one question. I thought external tie downs were a must for the 5 ft bed Tacoma's. Do you have them?, or am I just not seeing it in the pictures.

I do not have them. I have a mounting system that does not require them, it's two plates I got from the factory that mount to the frame without drilling

Sent from my iPhone using Wander The West

Well I finally did it, I placed my deposit down over the weekend for my Swift build. It will hopefully be done by the end of May beginning of June. It is going to be good summer filled with camping and exploration. I won't miss the days of packing and unpacking all of the usual camping equipment. :) It should be nice to get to a camping spot where all I really need to do is lift the roof up.
Thanks again to everyone on their input!
WanderinGnarnia after looking at your rig, I must say it gave me the final push to do it.

Congrats. You will have fun. Try and focus on something else for the next 10-12 weeks, that is the hard part. What options did you order and what floor plan? Make sure you have FWC send you build photos and take yours when you get delivery. Jd

Glad I could help, if you have anymore questions feel free to ask. You wont be dissapointed. Im in cali now and its so much easier with all the sunshine.

WanderinGnarnia said:
Glad I could help, if you have anymore questions feel free to ask. You wont be dissapointed. Im in cali now and its so much easier with all the sunshine.
The sunshine and weather is great here. I am hoping for more rain and snow for the Sierras up until the latter part of Spring. Enjoy the sunshine!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom