Swift owners - Is it right for me?

Antelope

Hi All,
Long time lurker and finally getting ready to make a purchase and wanted some input from swift owners. Just a little history our past camping set ups have been a Vanagon Westfalia, Roof Top tent on a Subaru, Chalet camper towed by a tacoma. We have sold our Chalet as it was rotting out and we were sick of towing a trailer. So we have a perfect 2012 DCSB 4x4 tacoma with 40K miles on it. Were thinking of adding a swift to do mostly long weekend camping trips with 2 adults, a 2 year old and a 40lb dog. We checked one out a Das Mule and it seemed doable but small. Once we load this thing up is it going to be way to small for comfort? We mostly hang out, outside the camper and only hang inside while drinking coffee in the morning or at night for bed time reading books ect. So the question is once we load this thing up A. are we going to be way over GRVW making it terrible and unsafe to drive? B. Will the swift so small we won't be able to move around the camper? Or should we sell the taco and go full size for the extra room of a larger FWC? Seems like we'd still be close to payload capacity of the F150 or Tundra so not sure all the extra expense is worth the effort. Also the Taco is so great as a daily driver around Seattle and I'd hate to have something bigger for daily driving.

Thanks,

Kevin

I've got a Swift on a 2011 Tacoma Double Cab. I put Dakar heavy duty leaf springs with an add a leaf and firestone air bags. Truck runs fine, I actually had to slow down my driving so my gas mileage is better. You will exceed payload with it loaded up, pretty much no way around it with a Tacoma. I did my research and was willing to deal with it, plenty of threads on here about it.

Have taken four trips with the wife and two younger girls and my dog. Longest with them was 5 days shortest was 2. Works out great for me/us at this point in time. In sleep mode the roll over couch is for the girls and me and the wife and dog sleep up top. Plenty of room to sleep in that mode but zero floor space. So with the roll over couch used as a bed you lose all floor space, no place to stand and cook or use the sink other than standing on the roll over couch/bed. When it's me and the family I bring a single burner stove and use the external shower for water to make coffee/oatmeal while the wife and kids sleep. You can still access the refrigerator to grab anything you need inside.

So basically for me, I always am up before the wife and kids. I roll out of bed, grab my creamer and go outside and eat/drink coffee. Once they are up, just push the queen bed back, roll the couch/bed back to couch mode and if you need to do anything inside there is plenty of room.

As far as loading it up for a trip, you can fit a lot inside it, but there isn't much cabinet space. Utilizing plastic storage containers that you can take out and stow outside while at camp helps.

If you are dealing with colder weather or rain this wouldn't be a fun exercise for those that don't like getting cold or wet. Living in California and my wife and kids being warm weather campers (May-Sept) I don't have to worry about rain/cold.

From late August to April I take off and do solo trips fish/hunt with the dog and there's plenty of space!

I went in to this purchase with the agreement of keeping the set up for 5 years then selling the package and getting a 3/4 ton and a Hawk. I think with the Hawk, the way to go would be with the front dinette, then there'd be floor space even when the lower bed is used.

Having a wife that works in finance, there was no way I could convince her to let me blow over a 100k on a new truck and camper at that given time. However, when I retire in 5 years the deal is to move up in size.

So long answer short, if you can do it, I'd go for the Hawk or Granby, the Swift works but kids grow and if you want any access to floor space while the couch is used as a bed you won't get it.

Thanks Bwag - that was exactly the experience I was looking for and our time lines sound similar in that it would work as is for about 5 years then time to re access. I'm thinking I'll try to find a used swift, and keep eye on the new gas sprinter that is coming out to see if they have the reliability sorted out when we'll need something bigger.

Thanks jimjxsn! I like the ATC campers but if I stick with the short 5.5 bed not sure the bobcat is a good choice with all the overhang behind the Axel but I guess if I found one for the right price it might be worth a try with a slew of suspension and tire upgrades.

Back
Top Bottom