Swivel table in my Hawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior
After using our 08 Hawk on half a dozen trips, I've come up with an idea to use some of the technology Westfalia put into their VW campers. I had an '84 Westy that I traveled in pretty extensively, including putting my belongings into storage and living on the road for about five months. It was a great time, even if we burned up a cylinder crossing the Eisenhower Tunnel crossing the Continental Divide in Colorado. :oops:

My camper came with the stock table, but I found it to be more of an hindrance than a help. Once set up, you couldn't move it and the thing is a pain to store in the camper, taking valuable space. Remembering my VW days, I recalled the swiveling table(s) they came equipped with.

gallery_2472_253_163508.jpg

A bit of online research brought me to GoWesty.com where they sell the table and bracket kits. The trick was to figure out how to adapt their corner bracket to the front of the bench. I also chose the smaller front table 400mmx800mm (16"x24" nominal) to fit the space. The table are mounted slightly off-center, but I moved the table bracket even farther off to one side so the table can spin square to the bench as well as parallel.

gallery_2472_253_64992.jpg

I think we're going to very happy with arrangement, especially after eating off our laps the last few trips. I raised the table to approx 26.5" off the floor so the table will clear our legs as we sit on the bench. It will even articulate over to the settee position if someone is sitting there, eating or prepping a meal. I think it will be ideal for a laptop station too. Locking knobs control the table and leg, so you can lock it down while traveling.

The only mods I really needed to do to mount the bracket was to grind off the lower steel tables at a 45 degree angle and remove an 1/8" of length to get the top and bottom to mount parallel to the bench face. Then I took my trusty Makita cordless and punched 1/4" holes in the plywood at the 45 degree angle for some bolts and put some nylock's on the backside. I remodel houses for a living, so I'm pretty open to knocking down walls, punching holes, or whatever.

gallery_2472_253_26050.jpg

The table with leg and bracket cost $196 plus tax and ship, so it wasn't real cheap. But GoWest is on the central CA coast and I got the unit within two days via UPS. You might find a less expensive used VW bracket / leg / table on Samba.com or other VW based sites.

That looks like a great way to keep the couch and have a handy table to eat a snack on, set your adult beverage down or use a laptop on.

Jeff

Could you snap a pic of the underside of the table. Just wanted to see how that is mounted.
Looks like a nice project!

Thanks-

Could you snap a pic of the underside of the table. Just wanted to see how that is mounted.
Looks like a nice project!

Thanks-

Here you go, Desert Rancher:

gallery_2472_253_83787.jpg

gallery_2472_253_46534.jpg

I moved the screw inserts from previous location, so you can see two of the original holes.

gallery_2472_253_17923.jpg

There were other types of mounts for the older VW's. Some had a socket (length of pipe) that the table fit into. This is an aftermarket item, and seems to match the latest version of the Westy table hardware.

I like it!

I have thought about doing something like that, but I did not like the older tables I was finding. Do you have a part number or link to the table on GoWesty?

Do you have an idea of the weight of the table and brackets?

I like it!

I have thought about doing something like that, but I did not like the older tables I was finding. Do you have a part number or link to the table on GoWesty?

Do you have an idea of the weight of the table and brackets?

Here's the order, Hadley:
TABLE-SET-FRNT-T: Table and Leg Set - Front Tan 1 $139.95 $139.95
TABLE-BRKT-FRNT: Table Bracket - Front Leg [Vanagon] (Color: Brown) 1 $49.95 $49.95
GVW-269-601: Fluted Knob for Table (Aftermarket) 1 $5.95 $5.95

I don't know about the weight. The table is quite solid and heavy and so is the metal hardware. Probably could add up to 15 pounds or so, maybe less.

Looks like this could be a decent option for those considering a dinette remodel. A swively table would be faster to install and possibly cheaper.

This does look nice, but somewhere I could swear I saw a very similar mod using a couple of plumbing floor flanges and some electrical tubing. Anyone recall that?

Nice job, on a budget too! I spent way more than that for the Westfalia knock off.

We're really looking forward to trying it out for a week in DV. We're bringing the laptop, so
we'll use it for movies, downloading photos, dinner prep, and of course eating. The swivel feature let's it
center between two people, swing to the settee; and can move entirely in or out of the aisle. Friction knobs lock it off.

gallery_2472_253_64992.jpg

Wish FWC would take a hint from the customers on this one.

Nice job hawk, I don't think you'll regret the extra expense down the road. As to FWC and the table we had this discussion a couple of years ago and they really aren't interested in table improvements. They love that cheap useless table and likely won't change it.

Back
Top Bottom