Synchronizing Victron Components

CPT Davenport

Simply put, my Victron charge controller goes into float mode when smart shunt only reads 95%. Even when there is plenty of solar available to get me to 100%. Shunt is set for lithium and 100% is set at 14.4v. If shunt is set at 14.4 max, should I set float at 14.4 on CC?

short answer, yes. All your components should be set to the same values, which may not be the defaults. Which Victron components do you have?

Thanks Vic.

Victron components are:

MPPT 100V 20 amp BT Charge controller
500 amp smart shunt

Battery: 206ah SOK lithium
Solar: 175w (roof mount) 135w (auxiliary folding panel)

Cpt Davenport said:
Simply put, my Victron charge controller goes into float mode when smart shunt only reads 95%. Even when there is plenty of solar available to get me to 100%. Shunt is set for lithium and 100% is set at 14.4v. If shunt is set at 14.4 max, should I set float at 14.4 on CC?
Maybe I'm missing something here. My Victron shunt determines state-of-charge (SOC) based on amp-hour usage, compared to the battery ampacity that I specify. It doesn't use voltage as a measure of the SOC.

I don't think that the MPPT uses the SOC from the shunt to control the charge profile; I'm pretty sure that it guesses it from battery voltage. I recall bumping up the absorption voltage by a few tenths V on my MPPT in order to get it to put a little more charge into the battery. Unfortunately I can't look at my system right now to see my settings.

Cpt Davenport said:
So Should I set the absorption on my CC to the same number as the 100% SOC on my shunt? 14.4v in this case.
Yes. I'll try and get pics of my settings in the next few days. VERY cold out (0*F) at the moment.

On my Victron Charging devices (Orion and MPPT) absorb is set to 14.4, float to 13.4.

Shunt is set to 14.4 charged voltage, 2% tail current.

So yes, absorb and charged voltage should be the same.

Vic Harder said:
On my Victron Charging devices (Orion and MPPT) absorb is set to 14.4, float to 13.4.

Perfect, done! Muchas Gracias! I cant wait to test it the next time the sun comes out! Gotta make hay (or watts) when the sun's shine'n and getting topped off to 100% SOC is always nice when mother nature is picking up the tab.

Synchronized absorption volts on CC to 100% SOC volts on shunt and got a couple hours of sun on it. Fully charging now! 100% is better than 95%.

Vic Harder said:

Not that Vic needs my reassurance, but this is 100% correct. This is a common issue with DIY installs, and even a lot of installers. Even Battleborn had it wrong on a blog way back. But the full voltage on the shunt should match or be very slightly lower than your absorption setting on your chargers.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom