Tacoma Back-up Camera

fredrahm

Has anyone moved or replaced the back-up camera on a late model Toyota Tacoma tail gate. If you replaced it, what camera did you use and how did you mount it?

Has anyone moved or replaced the back-up camera on a late model Toyota Tacoma tail gate. If you replaced it, what camera did you use and how did you mount it?

You can just go to a junk yard and buy one cheep off a wrecked truck then mount it to a metal bracket that can be bent to get the right angle and attach under the camper. That way you have all the right connections and know it will work. That is what I did with my Tacoma/Fleet.

Purchased a "camera only" replacement model from Camera Source (Amazon).
It's identical to the one mounted in the tailgate handle, minus the handle assembly.
It will take a bit of custom fabrication to make a mount for the back of the camper and I'm going to experiment with location, preferring to mount the camera well above the bumper to improve the field of view. I'll likely use a 2 inch 45 degree PVC elbow as a shroud. The mounting tangs on the camera are offset and may require a bit of fussing but that's what I'm good at. The camera came with good instructions, plenty of cable and reads off the dashboard screen.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KCAX4VU/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I36H4XXKOUGNS1&colid=18R1SG6G859AA

I got a camera mounted above my license plate by the Tigard, OR dealer. (American RV — Jeff Martin there could probably tell you how he does it.) It plugs into the same thing that the tailgate camera plugs into.

I just had the original camera moved to the bumper. It points straight out instead of down, so the lines at whack a doodle, but it still serves the purpose and you learn quickly what is where.

I moved the camera from the tailgate to a "L" shaped aluminum bracket screwed beneath the camper (mounted full-time) see picture from "My Gallery" "Truck Modifications" album. (click on Avatar to get there), It is glued into the bracket. No problems with the mount or its operation over the past 4 years and 100 miles of washboard road annually.

gallery_2684_745_274232.jpg
gallery_2684_745_229499.jpg

I bought a used OEM Toyota 2013 RAV4 Camera on ebay for $30. The camera and connector itself was identical to the one in my 2016 Tacoma tailgate, but the mounting bracket was different. I needed to make a new mount for my flatbed anyway, so no big deal there. I managed to sell my tailgate with camera for $800, so it was worth the trade.

Just putting this out there... I just bought a used 2012 Tacoma TRD Sport. Inside the previous owner left the tailgate camera wiring adapter in storage cubby. Appears to be new in bag. Shout if you can use... worth a 6 pack and shipping ;) or trade

XJINTX said:
Just putting this out there... I just bought a used 2012 Tacoma TRD Sport. Inside the previous owner left the tailgate camera wiring adapter in storage cubby. Appears to be new in bag. Shout if you can use... worth a 6 pack and shipping ;) or trade
Check that pigtail again. On my 2010 Tundra, there are two pigtails for use when tailgate is off the truck. One to protect the connector to the camera in tailgate and the other to protect the wiring connector going to the display. Instructions indicate they are to keep the connections clean until tailgate is replaced. Can't imagine Toyota spending the money if they weren't a good idea.

Paul

Not positive but the paperwork in the bag is the camera tailgate instructions. I guess I'll just shelve it just in case someone needs it down the road ;)

I purchased an replacement OEM camera and wiring harness from the dealer. New truck, new camper and didn't want to cut into a wiring harness.

Another option that I have noticed are the wireless cameras sold by GPS manufactures. Garmin has one I was looking at. Might require a new GPS but might be with looking at.

Back
Top Bottom