Tacoma - current gen vs next gen as platform for FWC

campito

Advanced Member
I’m looking at getting a new Tacoma and wonder if it’s worth waiting to see what the next gen will be, it could possibly be the 2023 model year which is not much more than a year from now.

I’ve read that it will be built on a new frame platform like the new Tundra and will replace the rear leaf-spring suspension setup with coil springs “that should improve the truck's on-road manners.”

Regarding engines, Tacoma's current 3.5-liter V-6 makes 278 horsepower and 265 pound-feet of torque. I've read that a candidate replacement could be the new 2.4-liter unit that produces 275 horsepower and 317 pound-feet of torque. A hybrid version of this powertrain might also be available.

All a bit crystal ball, and I'm in no hurry so can wait and see, but any thoughts on if either of these will make the Tacoma a better or worse platform to carry a Fleet?

I fervently hope Toyota will follow their path with the 2022 Tundra and reintroduce a fully boxed chassis on the next generation Tacoma. A multi-link coil rear suspension would be icing on the cake, as would a proper truck engine that produces more torque than horsepower. It's about time Toyota took the technological lead again instead of resting on laurels that are now decades old.

Would it be too much to hope to get rear discs as well?

If I were you I'd definitely wait.

I would also vote for waiting to see what they come out with. If you decide it’s not for you there will be plenty of current gen Tacomas to choose from since many want to have the latest model.

The boxed frame is a step in the right direction. The only thing is going to be how customizable the load carrying will be with coils instead of leaf springs if you don’t want to run air bags.

Payload should get better out of the box, pretty dismal now but it seems like they have to run such soft leaves that give a nice ride unloaded or just carrying groceries like most that aren’t on these forums do.

Back
Top Bottom