Tacoma Jack

Is my stock Toyota Tacoma jack enough to lift the truck and Eagle?

That would depend on how much Jack Daniels you store in the Eagle. The Eagle itself isn't a whole lot.

Is it a bottle jack or scissor jack or something else? I have 2 ton bottle jack that came with my Silverado and my truck comes in at about 9,500 lbs with camper. It works fine for changing tires but wouldn't count on it for much else. Toyota should be able to tell you what your jack's rated capacity is.

Check this jack out it.

PB Jack.jpg

http://www.build.com/powerbuilt-640912-3-ton-all-in-one-bottle-jack-and-jack-stand/p2103583#

Check this jack out it.

View attachment 16012

http://www.build.com/powerbuilt-640912-3-ton-all-in-one-bottle-jack-and-jack-stand/p2103583#

Can anyone guess how many of those jacks you can fit in a 6 ft truck bed?

Edgewood - I lifted the back of our Tacoma and Fleet camper with the stock jack just as an experiment. It took some effort, but it did do the job. However, I think you'd be much happier with a good-quality bottle jack.

That jack is nice and the price is great but for the weight I would be better off with a Hi lift. I guess I could just bulk up a bit and lift the truck myself while my wife switches the tires.

However, I think you'd be much happier with a good-quality bottle jack.

Do you have a recommendation? Perhaps even one that can fit in the stock location?

(I currently carry a Tundra jack. It fits in the stock location but has a bit more heft and height.)

Do you have a recommendation? Perhaps even one that can fit in the stock location?

Did some research, and found that US Jack and Norco (from Japan) make high quality bottle jacks. I also learned some of the reasons why these jacks are better than the totally unimpressive Torin bottle jacks. (It more or less comes down to better parts and tighter tolerances.)

The US Jack is out of my "experimental" price range, but the Norcos look good and the 2 ton model looks like it might fit in the stock location. :)

I agree with Nathanael about US and Norco. KYB isn't bad either. I use a superb German-made bottle jack, but got it for an equipment review (i.e. free). It's bloody expensive.

Actually, a very fine jack that you can frequently pick up used on eBay is the Land Rover double-extension bottle jack that came with a U-shaped top to cradle a beam axle. They were made in Italy.

I'm about to test some interesting bottle-jack accessories - extensions, a large base plate, etc. - from Bogert Engineering, who made the Safe Jack I reviewed some time back on OT&T.

I rarely carry my Hi-Lift which I'm sure will come back to bite me someday but always keep extra bottle jack from my construction work in the camper as they take up so little space. Lots of boards too as figure it might help with options for jacking along with the usual leveling issues.

Back
Top Bottom