Tacoma owners - Eagle vs Fleet?

DonC

I will be ordering soon. Seems that most here have Eagles. I am wondering why there are not more Tacoma/Fleets given that it is wider.

Most of us like the narrowness of the Eagle. (Better gas mileage, better on tight forrest roads.)

Do you have a Gen2 (05+) Tacoma? If you have a pre 05 Tacoma then I would definitely get the Eagle.

May I take a guess and say that you are having your camper shipped to Wisconsin?

The fleet hasn't been around for very long - think they just started making it a year or two ago.

I like the width of my Eagle - it doesn't hang over the sides too much making it easier to see out of the side mirrors, and its COG should be more in the bed of the truck, so may not roll as much.

Funny, I sometimes contemplate selling my eagle to get a fleet shell.

I find getting the eagle on my genII taco a small pain plus I like the idea of being able to sleep sideways; save critical interior space, minimize setup, etc.

an extra 5-6inches... imagine the possibilities?
Rob

plus I like the idea of being able to sleep sideways; save critical interior space, minimize setup, etc.

Good point, if a 6'3'' bed works for you. I am taller than that, so I like being able to stretch out with the N-S sleeping arrangement in an Eagle.

Why not a ATC bobcat.Same truck bed size as eagle but 4" wider so you can sleep crosswise.We are able to do that and it does save on interior space as the bed is always set up.We don't use the "extenda" bed so the extra cushions stay home.I am not a hard core off roader but how much can 4" make a difference,when the advantage is more space inside IMO.

Frank

Good point, if a 6'3'' bed works for you. I am taller than that, so I like being able to stretch out with the N-S sleeping arrangement in an Eagle.

Being tall, I also like the N-S sleeping arrangement. Plus you don't have to crawl over someone to get out of bed in the middle of night if you have a small bladder.

Why not a ATC bobcat.Same truck bed size as eagle but 4" wider so you can sleep crosswise.We are able to do that and it does save on interior space as the bed is always set up.We don't use the "extenda" bed so the extra cushions stay home.I am not a hard core off roader but how much can 4" make a difference,when the advantage is more space inside IMO.

Frank

I was just looking at their website and it says the width of the bobcat is 69", which is the same as the eagle?

Is it in fact wider?

Rob

I was just looking at their website and it says the width of the bobcat is 69", which is the same as the eagle?

Is it in fact wider?

Rob

I thought the ATC was 75''. :unsure:

I would go with an Eagle just because the truck is going to be more aerodynamic and get better gas mileage. I have an old Fleet on my 02 Tundra and love the space inside, but would probably trade a few inches of width for a couple more mpg's. Not that my mileage is bad (I think I only lose 2 mpg with the camper on), but it would be great if it was the same with the camper on the truck.

Edit: I do like sleeping sideways in the camper however, so maybe it is worth the couple extra mpgs...

Perhaps the new "Finch" would work for you, just 8" shorter than the Eagle, same width, and you can sleep two very comfortably front to back. Just 535lbs for the Taco and won't overhang the bumper and throw off front to rear weighting. Perfect fit for a 6' bed small truck. The lighter the better on the small trucks!

Went with the eagle cause I didn't want too much camper hanging off each side. As it is we have alot of Nevada pinstriping on both the truck and camper. In some places (like Dedeckera Canyon) wider is definitely not better.

Back
Top Bottom