Tacoma suspension upgrade w/ Eagle Shell

For those of you who run airbags, did you also install the daystar cradles? I've seen them mentioned, but I'm unclear on the purpose of them, and if I would even need them. Like I said before, I won't be doing any serious off roading.

Thanks.

esc said:
For those of you who run airbags, did you also install the daystar cradles? I've seen them mentioned, but I'm unclear on the purpose of them, and if I would even need them. Like I said before, I won't be doing any serious off roading.

Thanks.
I've Firestone Air bag and I don't have daystar cradles. The Firestone air bag is attached to brackets to and bottom can't see how a cradles can fit.

2015 Tacoma V6 4x4 access cab
FWC Fleet "dry" 1350lbs
BFG KO2's
Supersprings

This combo did not work well even in town. I took the truck to A-1 Springs in Oakland, CA, with as much water and extra weight as I could cram into it. I told them that we were not off-road enthusiasts, but we were often offroad in the mountains. They added two custom leaves to the leaf pack, and wouldn't sell me new shocks because they thought the factory TRD Bilsteins (not 5100's) were good enough for now. They've been around a long time. Truck and load are driving well now.

I have a 2000 Tacoma with an ATC Bobcat. I do a decent amount of offroading in difficult, but not too technical terrain. I have a set of Alcan 10 pack leaf springs, and no air bags. I have never tried airbags, but they do limit articulation in nasty spots. I couldn't be happier with the ride, both with the camper on and off. I will soon be upgrading to a 3rd generation double cab Tacoma longbed, and I think I will go with the same setup. Anyone have any input on how long the stock Bilsteins on a TRD Sport should last?

Newbie here, having just bought 2011 Finch for 2014 Tacoma SR5 extended cab needing stock suspension upgraded. Dry weight of Finch is 785 lbs, but grandkids will add close to pay load weight. Suggestions?

If your going to leave Finch on truck full time go to your local spring shop and upgrade your leaf pack to 4 leaf set that will support 1500 pounds bed weight.

If your going to remove it then a combination of air bags and "progressive overload spring"

E rated tires

If the truck is 4WD and your using it off road I would stick to spring upgrade(I don't want any tubes hanging down that can be torn off by rocks on the trails). If your mostly going to use it on asphalt and fire roads air-bags are fine.

Remove the jacks after loading as they add 100 pounds of weight .

Welcome to the family. Happy camping.

I did a few thousand miles on my long bed quad cab TRD Sport Tacoma and Eagle with just E rated tires and air bags. It was OK on the road but when I added an Aluminess rear bumper with box and spare tire mount it got a little bouncy and felt kind of soft when I went off road. I decided to add an ARB front bumper and Warn 9.5xp and went ahead and got the OME 2" lift with heavy springs and an extra leaf in the rear. Ride is just as I like it now, albeit too many dollars later. :)

Thanks again to all for you input. Just an update...running e-rated tires and airbags and probably a couple hundred pounds over gvwr this summer, and I did not notice any issues with the ride (taking it slow an steady). However, most of my trips this year were on paved roads with the occasional forest roads mixed in. Although, I did ask my riding partner if the camper was still on the truck every fifteen minutes, I'm satisfied with the set-up.

Back
Top Bottom