Tacoma Suspension Upgrades - Help!

Lardogsurf

I have a 2010 Tacoma doublecab, TRD sport package, 4 WD, with the tow package. We bought a 2017 Fleet Camper and I thought incould get away with airbags as the only necessary upgrade. While they get me my ride height back, I’ve realized they are not made for carrying weight. I have already had one implode on me. So, looking at suspension upgrades now and want some advice please. At this time I am considering going with just some add a leaves from Deaver to the OEM leaf springs and keeping the airbags on or going with a new leaf spring package from old man emu along with new rear shocks. I don’t have enough cash right now to do work on the front. Any thoughts on my two options? Thanks!

I've referenced the following threads before. This is a common question here on WTW as the Tacoma isn't really able to carry the weight of a pop-up safely without modifications.

I followed Crom's lead but not on the last shock/strut change. I would but the current set up is doing ok. Wish I had airbags though. The OEM suspension is not good enough to carry the weight.

https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/the-getaway-croms-build-and-adventures.362772/
https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/the-getaway-croms-build-and-adventures.362772/page-164#post-13950437

I've got a 2015 Taco with ATC. Added OME dakar leaf springs with upgraded shocks - front and back (a must). Safer drive (reduces significantly the sway and bounce). Better on off pavement too. If you remove the camper now and then OME dakar will be too stiff, so go with the add leafs.

Look at the Hellwig 1906 progressive leaf pack. Supports the vehicle when a camper is in the bed, but doesn’t make the ride to stiff when empty. Paired with a rear sway bar, you’ll love the way the truck drives.

Lardogsurf said:
I have a 2010 Tacoma doublecab, TRD sport package, 4 WD, with the tow package. We bought a 2017 Fleet Camper and I thought incould get away with airbags as the only necessary upgrade. While they get me my ride height back, I’ve realized they are not made for carrying weight. I have already had one implode on me.
If you got decent bags and Daystar cradles you should be fine. Without the cradles, the bags can rip if you get crossed up offroad.

Airbags are the way to go if you'll be driving with the camper off. Upgrading shocks is a good idea as well.

Get a set of custom springs - Boise Spring Works did a heck of a job on mine. Call them, tell them what you have and they will hook you up. Also, get some new shocks. You will never look back and never have to take it off.

I have both the OME Dakar leaf packs and the airbags (with cradles) on my Tundra. Works like a charm. Without the camper on the truck drives like, well, as truck. I prefer the firm ride over the squishy "Cadillac" ride anyways.

Hi Everyone! Thanks for all the great information and advice. I’m fairly certain I am going to go with the OME Dakar with the add a leaf and some Ikon shocks. Probably just do the rear now and then see how it all handles and save some money to do the front. Looking forward to the new ride. And, I am going to keep the airbags on as well to help level the load and for some extra leveling if I need it. Stoked!

Air bag suspension ARE designed to carry weight...
Notice long haul trucks, most all late model ARE air ride suspension.

Mickey

I just installed an OME kit on my 2012 tacoma. I went with the extra heavy Dakar leafs part# EL096R and then i added yet another leaf to that. These things are stout, though I haven't completed my camper and re installed it, I still think its gonna be plenty of suspension for the load. Easy 1 day install with no issues.

John

I did the same and I regret having the AAL installed. Can't stand the rake when the camper is off. I'm going to remove the AAL and just stick with the OME HD Dakar's. -Kirk Out

tacomapost-lift.jpg

I have 600lbs of tube sand in my truck when the camper is off haha. But when my camper is done I will rarely remove it so the sand is temporary til the end of next month.

I put air bags on my 2010 Tacoma and called it a day. I haven't done any other suspension mods. I only put the camper on for trips though. Can't stand daily driving with the camper on.

JimBow said:
I put air bags on my 2010 Tacoma and called it a day. I haven't done any other suspension mods. I only put the camper on for trips though. Can't stand daily driving with the camper on.
This might be the best argument I have every heard for running a full size 3/4T truck. I don't even notice the camper back there.

I can't argue with you there! I have the 4 cylinder and 5 speed manual transmission model Tacoma. I have to use 3rd gear or even 2nd gear on hills with the camper on. The power is marginal for sure, and it doesn't help that I live at 5400' elevation.

3rd option for the op, get a bigger truck= not having to worry about breaking the little truck.

I am getting a Swift installed soon on DCSB 17 Tacoma TRD off road. Would like a little lift for appearance but not feel too top heavy. Plans for very light off road. Any reason not to do a 2 in spacer in front, 1 in block in back, and airbags in back? I plan to remove frequently.

Back
Top Bottom