Tail light and wing removal

Skeeter

I am at the point where I need to decide if I am going to remove the rear tailights of my 97' Ranger II. The side wings were easy to remove compared to the rear tailights. It will require some welding and woodwork, but I can accomplish the job no problem. I do not think that the structual integrety will suffer at all, but I am not an engineer. Cosmetically, I personally think it looks dumb. What do you folks think?

Quick summery of my rebuild;
Bought a very beat up camper that had water/rodent damage. Removed the interior and traded fridge for fantastic fan. Replaced all interior and porch lights with custom LEDs that I assembled with constant drivers. Porch light replacement with 3 watt LED. Repaired rodent chewed up sections of the vinyl with material provided by a very generous Marty from ATC. Decided to not replace outside alumium siding to deter thiefs! Interior is being replaced with new wall and insulated with Insulfoam. Floorpack was sanded and repainted. I am also in the process of replacing the rear lift panel. Alot of work, but I only paid $1100 bucks for it and it will be exactly what I need, no more.......no less. -Joel
gallery_1723_227_737605.jpg

gallery_1723_227_609908.jpg

I like the idea of leaving a bit of beat up look to deter the thieves. Take lots of pics as you go.

It will require some welding and woodwork, but I can accomplish the job no problem

If you don't like the way it looks and you have the skills to do the job, I say do it. If you don't, you will be looking at it later and wishing you had done it when the camper was torn apart. If you wait you will have to tear it all apart again, making it a bigger project than it is now.

If you don't like the way it looks and you have the skills to do the job, I say do it. If you don't, you will be looking at it later and wishing you had done it when the camper was torn apart. If you wait you will have to tear it all apart again, making it a bigger project than it is now.

From experience [ :( ] I concur.

Hey Skeeter, have you started in on this yet? Although I kind of like the closed off look with the tail lights, I agree with Ted. Now's the time to do it the way you want. Best of luck with the project.

Hey ski3pin,
I was working on the new rear lift panels when I had to go to work, back home in two weeks. I dont think anyone else has attempted it, and was hoping that I could get some advice on this one from someone who has done it. I am taking my time on this project. I will post pics as work progresses. I am enjoying Canada's weather when AZ heats up! -Joel

Consider giving Jeff a call at ATC. Last fall when they put in the new side liner, new lift panel, and did some roof repair for us, Jeff also asked if we wanted the tail lights removed. He's done it and these guys have always been helpful. A thought.

Back
Top Bottom