Tamron 18-270 f3.5-6.3

GroovyDad

I just bought this lens yesterday so that I could have a more versatile "walking around" lens. I know theses all in one lenses have their shortcomings, but I'm not a pro and I can't see spending thousands of dollars on lenses for the type of photos I take.

Does anyone have any experience with this lens? It was $450.00, but has a $50.00 mail in rebate, but I can't return the lens once I've claimed the rebate, so I have two weeks to test drive it before the rebate ends.

tamron-18-270.jpg

I have not used this particular lens but I have had a couple of Tamron zooms in the past. They were acceptable all-around lenses for daylight shooting. However, they developed sloppy focusing and zoom creep after a few years. Not really worth repairing given the low cost and plastic parts. To be fair I'm kind of rough on equipment. ;)

Make sure the lens works well with your camera at all focal lengths: reasonable distortion and flare, consistent focusing, and proper electrical connections. For reference the going price for a new lens on eBay appears to be $350.

Bigfoot said:
I have not used this particular lens but I have had a couple of Tamron zooms in the past. They were acceptable all-around lenses for daylight shooting. However, they developed sloppy focusing and zoom creep after a few years. Not really worth repairing given the low cost and plastic parts. To be fair I'm kind of rough on equipment. ;)

Make sure the lens works well with your camera at all focal lengths: reasonable distortion and flare, consistent focusing, and proper electrical connections. For reference the going price for a new lens on eBay appears to be $350.
The new Tamron lenses have a simple slide lock that prevents lens creep (a problem I had with zoom lenses too). I was told that, for whatever it's worth, some of these lenses sold online are an older version and some are refurbished. With the rebate, it's only $400. I plan to give it a good workout, but so far, so good. It's super quiet and fast to focus, but it does need a lot of light.

Back
Top Bottom