Test report on new Engel 43 quart cooler

Silvertip47

The Chair Bandit
Got my new Engel Wedesday at noon. Took it out to the camper which was 95 degrees inside. Plugged her in to battery only. 1 hour later she was sitting at 37 degrees!!! 50 hours later she still holds a constant 37 degrees through near 100 degree daytime temps and 65 degree nights. I checked it frequently. My Trojan Group 31 is down to 1/3 capacity. I am very impressed!!! I don't think I'll ever spend the money for another propane fridge. Just hope FWC can install a new 12 volt Tundra for me when I order!!! Then I'll keep the Engel as a freezer!!

I did mod the table so the Engel would not be in the way.

Got rid of the big table.

BdhM5BmkKGrHqQOKjYEq3QfDH5BK5P6N-1.jpg

And replaced it with a smaller two person table which eliminated one of the legs for the Engel to park. I used birch plywood and robbed the parts from the old table.

IM002051.jpg

Congrats!

The cost of a fridge is one of the toughest purchases to swallow... until you have it. Then you wonder how you lived without it for so long!

If you didn't already, you might consider ordering a $6 hinge lock - they really help if your lid gives you any problem.

Enjoy those coldies!

The Engel is a great purchase. When you order the new FWC have them set it up for Engel ready. Delete the fridge and install a shelf and a 12 volt and a 120v volt outlet. Then if you need more space in your engel order the two-zone attachment. I just got my new Grandby with and Engel. My two-zone came this week and will install after it stops raining.

Pauliersz_p5020073.jpg

The Engel is a great purchase. When you order the new FWC have them set it up for Engel ready. Delete the fridge and install a shelf and a 12 volt and a 120v volt outlet. Then if you need more space in your engel order the two-zone attachment. I just got my new Grandby with and Engel. My two-zone came this week and will install after it stops raining.

PaulieView attachment 9512

WOW!! I didn't know FWC could do that. Thanks. The money I save from deleting the fridge will pay for the 85 watt solar!!! :D

Is the two zone the basket that turns the bottom half into a freezer?

WOW!! I didn't know FWC could do that. Thanks. The money I save from deleting the fridge will pay for the 85 watt solar!!! :D

Is the two zone the basket that turns the bottom half into a freezer?

AS I understand it you cut a piece of cardboard to fit the two-zone basket. Run the thing on freezer mode and use the two zone for the fridge. Milk eggs beer and bacon. :D

<HomerSimpsonMode>
mmmmmmmmmmm baaaaaaacon agahagagahagahagahahahagahhagh...
</HomerSimpsonMode>

This is the highest item on my list for my Eagle shell (the fridge, not the bacon)
Trying to find the best price on Engel, Coleman Stirling etc. Any body have a good used one? :)

AS I understand it you cut a piece of cardboard to fit the two-zone basket. Run the thing on freezer mode and use the two zone for the fridge. Milk eggs beer and bacon. :D

Engels are very nice and in an environment you can couple them with solar they seem awesome. The freezer ability seems awesome.

That said an auto-relighter on the propane fridge works pretty slick as well with less concern about running out of fuel (ie draining your batteries in the case of the engel). Each have their pro's and cons. If buying new I'd have to ponder it out but I'm fine with the current fridge since my rig came with it, I ran it non-stop on a 3000mi 2 week road trip on propane and didn't use much propane out of my tank.

Thanks for the info about the Whynter fridge Eldough. I've never seen those before.
Sivertip47 - nice job.

Our local Engel dealer started carrying these as a lower cost alternative to the Engels: Whynter 45

Engels are very nice and in an environment you can couple them with solar they seem awesome. The freezer ability seems awesome.

That said an auto-relighter on the propane fridge works pretty slick as well with less concern about running out of fuel (ie draining your batteries in the case of the engel). Each have their pro's and cons. If buying new I'd have to ponder it out but I'm fine with the current fridge since my rig came with it, I ran it non-stop on a 3000mi 2 week road trip on propane and didn't use much propane out of my tank.

Pods, I hope you don't gas up with that little flame burning in your fridge. When I'm on the road, I run on 12v and only turn on the propane in camp.

Stew

Another testimonial for diesel.

When you are filling with diesel, others around you are filling with gasoline. So it is still very dangerous to have a propane fridge burning in a filling station.

Stew

Overland Journal just did a report on 12v fridges. Too bad they didn't include the stirling.

I just did a quick overnighter using the Stirling. No worries, it does hum but that was nothing compared to the trains that roared by the rest area I spent the night in :eek: Keeps perfectly steady temp. I had it set at cool #3 which is about 37 degrees. Everything stayed nice and dry, no ice to worry about. I have 60w of solar so my batteries were fully charged all the time. It was supposed to be a longer trip but that didn't pan out so only a limited test but I think I'll like it.

Back
Top Bottom