Tested the memory foam mattress this weekend

craig333

Riley's Human
I have the 4" topper from Walmart. Have to say I slept really well this weekend down at Dillon Beach. Seemed kind of firm at first but my back really liked it. Dog seemed to like it too.

Guess I will have to look at them. Are they something that can be cut to fit?

And are you using it instead of the factory mattress or on top of it?

I have the 4" topper from Walmart. Have to say I slept really well this weekend down at Dillon Beach. Seemed kind of firm at first but my back really liked it. Dog seemed to like it too.

Does the topper fit in the original cover?

Does the topper fit in the original cover?

I also switched out my original foam for the 4" memory foam topper from Walmart. On my All Terrain Ocelot I just pulled out the old foam and put the covers over the new topper. Just spent 4 nights on the White rim trail with the new foam and it worked real well for us. We sleep on a Temperpedic at home so already like the firm feel.

I also switched out my original foam for the 4" memory foam topper from Walmart. On my All Terrain Ocelot I just pulled out the old foam and put the covers over the new topper. Just spent 4 nights on the White rim trail with the new foam and it worked real well for us. We sleep on a Temperpedic at home so already like the firm feel.

Hi Sotter,

Did you have to cut rounded corners on the foam or cut it down to fit? Is that something Wal*Mart will do?

Also, how is the insulation from the bottom. I have found the stock mattress does a poor job in very cold weather.

I too sleep on a very firm bed at home and don't like the mushy stock mattress in my ATC.

Please post a trip report and photos about your WRT adventure.

Hi Sotter,

Did you have to cut rounded corners on the foam or cut it down to fit? Is that something Wal*Mart will do?

Also, how is the insulation from the bottom. I have found the stock mattress does a poor job in very cold weather.

I too sleep on a very firm bed at home and don't like the mushy stock mattress in my ATC.

Please post a trip report and photos about your WRT adventure.

Stew,

I cut the foam myself and frankly chewed through it with a serrated bread knife. I would recommend marking it using your old foam and taking it to an upholstery shop and have them use an electric knife. As far as the insulation goes it was fine on our trip, the temps were in the mid 20s to low 30s. My guess is that it would perform about the same as the original from an insulation perspective. I've actually thought about adding a thin layer of auto insulation under the mattress for real cold weather.

The topper is actually a piece of memory foam glued to that egg crate foam. Might want to pick one up from Walmart and try it out for a night before you cut. That way if you don't like just return.

Steve

Stew,

I cut the foam myself and frankly chewed through it with a serrated bread knife. I would recommend marking it using your old foam and taking it to an upholstery shop and have them use an electric knife. As far as the insulation goes it was fine on our trip, the temps were in the mid 20s to low 30s. My guess is that it would perform about the same as the original from an insulation perspective. I've actually thought about adding a thin layer of auto insulation under the mattress for real cold weather.

The topper is actually a piece of memory foam glued to that egg crate foam. Might want to pick one up from Walmart and try it out for a night before you cut. That way if you don't like just return.

Steve

Steve,

Thanks for the foam tips. I will take your advise.

The covers on my camper fit over 2" foam so I wasn't able to use them. It wasn't really well thought out on my part. The stock foam is 36" wide and the topper is 40" ( they have many sizes, I just got the smallest one) which mean at the moment I have my bed pulled out an extra four inches. Can't use it the full length because it would be too thick. But, since Its just me and dog its working out well this way so far. I don't need the bed pulled all the way out. I think its a great upgrade but I really should have use a tape measure ;)

I'm very interested in hearing the experiences with these mattresses as time goes on and folks experience them in COLD temps. We have a Tempur-Pedic and LOVE it....but WOW...if the thing is cold it's like a huge brick ice cube and it will suck the heat from your body in seconds. (and even though they say it will void the "warranty", we use a mattress warming pad as a result)

Has anyone jumped into bed in one of these after a long drive on a cold (below 20F) night?

mtn

I'm very interested in hearing the experiences with these mattresses as time goes on and folks experience them in COLD temps. We have a Tempur-Pedic and LOVE it....but WOW...if the thing is cold it's like a huge brick ice cube and it will suck the heat from your body in seconds. (and even though they say it will void the "warranty", we use a mattress warming pad as a result)

Has anyone jumped into bed in one of these after a long drive on a cold (below 20F) night?

mtn

Mtn,

Your Tempur-pedic sucks the heat out of you on a cold night at home? Hmmm . . . Doesn't sound great for the kind of (stupid) camping I sometimes do.

Stew,

I cut the foam myself and frankly chewed through it with a serrated bread knife.

Tip-

An electric carving knife (like you use on the Turkey) works well for cutting foam.

I find the memory foam to be a great insulator from the cold, I have found I use less top layers with it.

I find the memory foam to be a great insulator from the cold, I have found I use less top layers with it.

Bat,

Even in 20s or lower temps? That's when the cold really seems to soak through my mattress.

We just purchased our eagle (used) and it doesn't have the original mattress so we went out and bought the 4" memory foam from walmart thinking it would be the bomb. however i ended up taking it back for these reasons, let me know how you deal thanks

The plan was to fold the mattress back onto its self and store the entire thing in the overhead, however the 4" is too big and the clasps don't close. so i exchanged it for the 2.5" in hopes of it fitting however i;m hesitant to open it and would really like to figure out how to make the 4" work for reasons of comfort but the 2.5 might be fine? space is a premium and in the eagle and to store the bedding and mattress in the overhead seems like a great application

Again this camper is new to us and it was our first night out, and i'm not sure how people store there 4" mattress's but it seems like a big pain to store one section behind the couch. Plus our dogs have taken to the couch being pulled out during travel, they like the picture window from which to view the passing world.

We just purchased our eagle (used) and it doesn't have the original mattress so we went out and bought the 4" memory foam from walmart thinking it would be the bomb. however i ended up taking it back for these reasons, let me know how you deal thanks

The plan was to fold the mattress back onto its self and store the entire thing in the overhead, however the 4" is too big and the clasps don't close. so i exchanged it for the 2.5" in hopes of it fitting however i;m hesitant to open it and would really like to figure out how to make the 4" work for reasons of comfort but the 2.5 might be fine? space is a premium and in the eagle and to store the bedding and mattress in the overhead seems like a great application

Again this camper is new to us and it was our first night out, and i'm not sure how people store there 4" mattress's but it seems like a big pain to store one section behind the couch. Plus our dogs have taken to the couch being pulled out during travel, they like the picture window from which to view the passing world.

Another option might be to add a down feather bed if the 2.5 is not enough...we use this in conjunction with the older thinner foam pads and are able to fold ours in half, store it on top of the bed and still get the top closed. Just a thought.

My mattress is in pieces, the main chunk stays in the overhead and I have too additional pieces that make it into a queen or king sized bed (this is a hawk) but I do store these extra pieces behind the couch so not much help in that regard.

You could maybe just store your's on the laid down couch if you don't mind the dogs on it.

DSC02924Small.jpg

Look at https://www.allterraincampers.com/Bobcat_Floor_Plan.html to see how the 4 inch mattress works. The two fill in pieces get stored below when the bed is collapsed.

In our Hawk, we have the stock matress that stays on the over cab part. On this we put a 1.5" memory foam and leave it there full time with bedding in place. When we setup the bed for sleeping we add the two additional pieces with no memory foam. This works great, as the mem foam no mem foam seam is just south of our tushes. While not as nice as the temperpedic at home, it's a hugh improvment in our little home away from home.

Back
Top Bottom