Texas to Dakotas and back spring of 2016

XJINTX

My wife and I are planning a trip to the Dakotas this spring. The last two states (besides Alaska) that we have not visited. I am trying to see when the earliest time would be to leave and not run into roads and areas that are not still closed for winter? We will also be returning through Yellowstone and the Tetons. Any help from experienced traveler there or those living there is appreciated. We are flexible but anxious to go. If it matter I will drive a 4x4 F250 with a FWC camper...

XJINTX said:
My wife and I are planning a trip to the Dakotas this spring. The last two states (besides Alaska) that we have not visited. I am trying to see when the earliest time would be to leave and not run into roads and areas that are not still closed for winter? We will also be returning through Yellowstone and the Tetons. Any help from experienced traveler there or those living there is appreciated. We are flexible but anxious to go. If it matter I will drive a 4x4 F250 with a FWC camper...
I would shoot for May. There is still snow in the lower mountain areas of Wyoming and Montana. If you wait till later you will fight the crowds. You can go online and check the weather trends for the time you are going and a call to Yellowstone will confirm if all roads are open with additional weather information from a real person. Good Luck. We are headed to Wyoming and Montana in late September and early October. We plan on crossing the mountains and the weather might impact parts of our trip. Going to Galveston Island State Park in late March. Good luck. jd

Depends on this year's snowpack and much of MT and WY's comes in April/early May. As Longhorn said, you can look at statistics as to when Yellowstone is typically open, but you'll just have to check with YNP personnel to be sure. One consistent fact is that the Beartooth Highway, US 212 from Red Lodge, MT into YNP via the Northeast Entrance, is rarely open before Memorial Day. The Beartooth Highway is considered by many as a must-see. Likely some or most of the higher elevation disbursed campsites in the NFs surrounding YNP will be inaccessible before mid- to late May, too.

If you're looking at off highway trails and higher passes off of the beaten path, an average snowpack will likely have them closed through May, too.

Trout fishing can be difficult to impossible in May due to high waters from the runoff.

In the Dakotas, SD can be somewhat easier to get around, within the Black Hills, when wet during the Spring. Outside of the Black Hills, much of western SD and practically all of western ND and eastmost MT is badlands type geology developed from volcanic ash deposits. The ash weathers to a bentonite clay often referred to as gumbo when it gets wet. It is a highly absorbent clay and becomes slicker than goose poop when wet. It'll pack up the treads of all but the most exactly designed AT tires. In and around the Teddy Roosevelt NP and the units of National Grasslands in its vicinity, the term "impassible when wet" really means something. Besides, the best way to incur the ire of ranchers out there is to drive on the clay roads when they're wet. They've got to deal with the resulting ruts until the next semi-annual grader pass. The good news is that a full day, day and a half of sun and a good breeze dries the clay roads out back to the consistency of concrete.

Coming from TX to the Dakotas, I'd be sure to snag a piece of the Nebraska Sandhills along the way up or back. Plan a half-day at Seneca, NE for a 2-3 hour float of the Middle Loup River in a stock tank. Glidden's Motel and Canoe Rentals has the franchise, and a float down the Middle Loup in a 10' diameter livestock watering tank (known as a "tanking" trip), is a great way to see the Sandhills. About 30 miles SE along Nebraska Route 2 is the Halsey unit of the Nebraska NF. Their campground is very nice, is on the same river, and has fine modern bathhouses/showers.

Foy

Plan for YNP in June. May is too early. You can easily encounter fresh snow. We've tented there in the fall twice and driven through the area in the spring twice. September can be glorious. May/June the roads may be clear, or you may have a nice spring flurry bring a few inches of wet stuff. Either way, there will still be deep snow banks and snow in between the trees.

Here is the URL for the opening shedule - http://www.nps.gov/yell/planyourvisit/ocd_locale.htm

Having lived in Winnipeg Manitoba for 16 years, I'd say late May is a good time to be in the Dakotas. Temps can already be nice, and the flooding from northern melt waters should be minimal.

We did a big 10 state trip like this last year. If you can get to Custer State Park it's awesome (like a mini-yellowstone; go on the road where the "wild" burros are). Also, I was impressed by Rushmore.

One piece of advice: get the National Parks pass. If you are going through YNP and then want to head south to the Tetons, they are separate entrance fees now. It'll save you money in the long run.

Make sure to check out Theodore Roosevelt National Park, both the south unit and north unit. The south unit is bigger but the north unit has more wildlife and is easier to see bison and the long horn steers.

Dang GREAT input THANKS... I'm old so I have my Senior NP pass ;) Looks like we will plan on June and hope it does not get real busy!!!

OK need help again this coming year. My niece and her husband... asked for my advice. They are avid (experienced) backpackers living in CA. They want to do the Tetons next summer. They would like to base camp at the park with tent. She asked me where I recommended. I explained we had the camper and stayed at an RV campsite. That is not what they were looking for.

Can anyone recommend a campsite they could camp at and then backpack the area? I think they plan on overnight and day trips. THANKS AGAIN!!!!

XJINTX said:
OK need help again this coming year. My niece and her husband... asked for mine. They are avid (experienced) backpackers living in CA. They want to do the Tetons next summer. They would like to base camp at the park with tent. She asked me where I recommended. I explained we had the camper and stayed at an RV campsite.

Can anyone recommend a campsite they could camp at and then backpack the area? THANKS AGAIN!!!!
Gros Ventre is pretty cool and pretty cheap. We stayed there for 5 days and it was great. Off the beaten path a bit and you may be able to just drive in and get a spot or make reservations (if they make them; I don't remember).

kmcintyre said:
Gros Ventre is pretty cool and pretty cheap. We stayed there for 5 days and it was great. Off the beaten path a bit and you may be able to just drive in and get a spot or make reservations (if they make them; I don't remember).
Man that looks great I have forwarded a link to her. Wish I had known this when we were there this summer :( THANKS!

XJINTX said:
OK need help again this coming year. My niece and her husband... asked for mine. They are avid (experienced) backpackers living in CA. They want to do the Tetons next summer. They would like to base camp at the park with tent. She asked me where I recommended. I explained we had the camper and stayed at an RV campsite.

Can anyone recommend a campsite they could camp at and then backpack the area? THANKS AGAIN!!!!
"My niece and her husband... asked for mine" Did you mean they asked to use your senior pass? Every single time we go into the National Park, the rangers ask for the pass and your drivers license. You don't want to loose that pass. jd

The best campground for the day hiker, backpacker or climber is Jenny Lake CG. It has the closest access to the Tetons but is also incredibly crowded and busy which makes reservations mandatory. As kmcintire mentioned, Gros Ventre is never full and secluded but also quite far from the most popular trails that start from the parking lots across the valley at Jenny Lake. To find a parking space at Jenny Lake you gotta get up early!

Back
Top Bottom