That $h%t will buff

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior
Last weekend we took a few double tracks that got a little brushy. :D

I feel sorry for guys with new trucks. :eek:
I remember when I used to cringe when I heard that squeal running down the side of my truck.
But, I've crossed the Rubicon and figure my paint job isn't going to get any better.

My truck is going to be with me a few more years and when it goes, I hope the next guy understands what a truck is for. In truth, I don't think a pristine paint job is that big a part of the pricing equation for a ten year old truck depending upon intended use. Even more truthfully, I am always drawn to explore narrow dirt roads and backroad pinstripes come with the territory.

What do you guys do to buff that sh*t out? I've tried clay bars, quick detail spray and even a bit of 303 to darken up the scratches.

Try using a electric buffer and some polishing compound. There are several paint shops in Grass Valley who could take care of the concern.

Nice job by the way !!

Ha! I got some new ones last week as well, and like you, I cringe a little less each year. I've always bought white trucks for just that reason, less noticeable and they always look relatively clean(er).

I've tried just about every name brand wax and polishing compound over the years but I'm not convinced any of them are much better than the other. I have a buffer I use for general waxing but I think doing it by hand is better for deeper scratches. Those are some beauts!

Andy you have some deep ones. I had a few on my motorcycle and googled scratch removal, can not find the exact video I followed. This one is close. Start with some 2000 grit sand paper (I used 3,000) and then Meguiars Diamond Cut compound then polish. I did by hand and it took a long time. You might want to have some one do that job. Good luck with your buff out.

I've got a guy that does mine but after the first two times I told him to not bother, I'm just going to do it again and again... I would rather have the scratches then having him shave down the outer coating to nothing each time. So now I just say put on some protective coating for the elements and let it go. It helps to have a gold metal flake color that hides a lot of stuff.

If I was going to sell then I would have him really make it look good. Andy the brush around Mono Lake can really get you! :eek:

Andy, good to see you again out and about and having fun! I'm with SunMan on white as the best color for pinstripes and winter camo. Lots of elbow grease makes this as good as new. My concern is how often I should aggressively polish out scratches. There is only so much paint and clear coat on my truck and I'm going to get more scratches.

Your other option is RinoLiner. Had a friend who is a potato farmer in Merrill OR who coated his work truck up to the bottom of the door glass. His work truck was a then brand new 2009 Denali!

Or you could just do a color change with a full coat
100_3854.JPG

Thanks guys!
I'm not really very serious about making it look better. Some how the dust makes the scratches look worse.
After a good wash, you won't hardly see them. ;)

x2 on white as preferred color
This truck is the exception to a long line of white trucks I've owned abused :giggle:

Patrick, you are right about the Mono brush! But that's where the action is.

i agree on white as a color,our new 2015 tacoma already has "custom" desert pinstripes !

as you said its a truck,now my road bike (bicycle) is another story its a 1989 trek tri bike
that i have over 20,000 miles on and at least once a year i go over it with a fine brush and touch up
any chips.!

Les,lqhikers

I remember a similar look on our previous Tundra after following Dirty Dog, MarcXP, Cort, and Simimike through the Warner Mountains. They pointed out that all of their trucks were white. Lesson learned. Thus the color choice of our current truck.
gallery_176_163_4508.jpg

billharr said:
Your other option is RinoLiner. Had a friend who is a potato farmer in Merrill OR who coated his work truck up to the bottom of the door glass. His work truck was a then brand new 2009 Denali!

Or you could just do a color change with a full coat
100_3854.JPG

I actually painted my fender flares with MonstaLiner bed liner as they were getting the tar beaten out of them by gravel, brush and car doors in parking lots. Best thing I ever did. They are bombproof now.

My truck is white because thats what they had on the lot :) I still cringe some when I hear that noise but its all part of wandering the west. Its the other noises that bother me more. I heard a crunch coming home from the rally. Quick look around and didn't see anything. Put it back in gear and the truck doesn't move. Oh there it is, right where I wish I some skid plates. Anyway it sure is nice to engage 4wheel drive and have it move.

You'll get a white truck (without selling the one you have) if you just have some more fun. You're already 5% there. Think about how much fun you can have doing the remaining 95%. Go for it!

SunMan said:
I actually painted my fender flares with MonstaLiner bed liner as they were getting the tar beaten out of them by gravel, brush and car doors in parking lots. Best thing I ever did. They are bombproof now.
Pics or it didn't happen! :p

billharr said:
SunMan love your dog in the window.
x2

I didn't realize they sold that rhino liner in white. Did you have to do much prep?

My fiberglass flares got crunched by the neighborhood snow plow so I have after market plastic flares.

billharr said:
SunMan love your dog in the window.
Yeah, pretty funny. I didn't notice him at the time. He always has his eyes on me no matter what.
Lighthawk said:
x2

I didn't realize they sold that rhino liner in white. Did you have to do much prep?
The brand is Monstaliner, they feature a huge array of colors unlike other bed liners:

http://www.monstaliner.com/forms/monstaliner_colors.htm

You can see the texture in the link above. Minimal prep, a light scuffing. They provide the proper application tools. It was a pretty easy job once the taping was done.

With my jeep I never worried about the "mountan pinstrips" untill I decided to sell it. 1 hour with a buffer and most of the scratches were gone. Every time you buff the paint it takes some of the paint off so you can only do it a few times. On my current truck I bedlined the bottom foot of my paint and to cover some serious scratches and dents. Other than that I dont worry about scratches.

I used monstaliner on the interior of my jeep and was really impressed with how easily it was to apply and how durable it was. Also does not attract and retain dust like other brands.

Wonder how well a vinyl wrap (atleast on the vehicle sides) would hold up. For those that really care it could be cheap (in the long run) to pay to have that installed on a new vehicle and then pull it later if/when selling.

Back
Top Bottom