The Blue Sphinx & Poinsettia Nevada - March 2017

Fun reading all the names you came up with for different vantage points and interesting to imagine the life those miners had. Thanks for the report!

Having spent a fair bit of time in Nevada, you two always come up with some new place to visit. Thanks for the ride!

Great TR, as always. Also as always, CA and NV provide some great geology. The Blue Sphinx is the type locality of the Blue Sphinx tuff, an otherwise unremarkable Tertiary quartz latite tuff. As usual, the mining stuff appeals to me the most, especially with the plans to visit Terlingua, TX towards the end of the year. In its heyday, the Terlingua District produced around 25% of the US supply of mercury. At the Poinsettia Mine, NV, as at many of the Terlingua mines, a simple retort was erected to extract the mercury in its elemental liquid form. Cinnabar is mercury sulfide and the mercury metal is readily extracted by crushing the ore crudely into gravel-sized chunks, charging an iron cylinder with the crushed ore, and heating the vessel. The mercury boils at around 700 deg F so the resulting mercury vapor rises up through the inclined vessel and is captured and directed through a condenser coil to become liquid mercury at room temperature. Thus the retort is a crude distillation process. The distilled mercury was captured in an iron flask with standard weight of 76 lbs. Due to its high density, a flask of mercury is only around 2 liters (roughly a half gallon) of liquid metal. With the relatively simple/crude milling requirement and similarly simple/crude distillation process to recover the metal, there was no reason to transport the ore long distances, so many mines had milling and distillation facilities on site.

Foy

Foy, thanks once again for a great explanation of the geology we experienced. Behind one of the secondary buildings at Poinsettia Mine was an open shed with two small brick oven/furnaces. Another visitor, in an online post, mentioned the opinion they were also used to distill mercury. With their proximity to the chicken coop, I suggest they were for cooking dinner.

Your posts are much appreciated!

Thanks for the write-up.

And Foy thank you for the lesson on mercury extraction. Never know what you're going to learn on here.

Very interesting TR, Mr. Ski. The cabins are remarkably well preserved.
Cinnabar mining and extraction was a deadly job from what I have read.

Very cool sphynx! I've heard about this place, but once again feel the urge to research and do some mapping.
You two are an inspiration to many of us.

Lighthawk and all others, thank you so much for your very kind comments! We have only scratched the surface on what all is out there to see and experience. :)

ski3pin said:
Lighthawk and all others, thank you so much for your very kind comments! We have only scratched the surface on what all is out there to see and experience. :)
Have you seen this web site? Not much for maps & directions but might whet the appetite for further research. http://www.raydunakin.com/Site/Ghost_Towns_and_Mines.html

And encourage one to pay attention to what is underfoot when taking those great moon photos. ;)
http://www.raydunakin.com/Site/Poinsettia_Mine_NV.html
Paul

Lighthawk said:
Cinnabar mining and extraction was a deadly job from what I have read.
Correct you are, in extremis.

Mercury is of course highly toxic. The sulfide of mercury, the mineral cinnabar, is extremely soft, with a Mohs hardness scale rating of 2.5, where talc is the softest at 1.0 and diamond is the hardest at 10.0. We can thus imagine an underground mining operation from the late 19th century/early 20th century involving minimal ventilation, lots of scraping and gouging of the soft mineral out of narrow veins/seams, lots of dust resulting from the pulverization of the mineral, and lots of dust as the ore is hauled, hoisted, and milled (crushed). All of which is very bad news for the miners, haulage guys, hoist guys, and mill operators.

Then of course we have the vaporization of the metallic mercury at fairly low temps, such that it could be freed from the sulfide bonds in a crude retort. Capture of the toxic vapor can only have been imperfect, so much has to have escaped and been intaken by anybody and everybody downwind. The retorts themselves became highly toxic from absorption of vaporized mercury over years to decades of use. In the days of unscrupulous mining stock promoters, the sure-fire method of assuring a test sample "from a newly-discovered prospect" came back hot as a firecracker in terms of mercury value was to slip some pulverized retort masonry chips into the sample. Eureka! Look at the high-grade mine we have for you! Not that 20th century prospectors from, say, the late 1970s would ever "salt" a prospect. Honest.

Foy

Thanks Ski,the "Blue Sphinx" is cool.
To see it from different angles and how the view gives different meanings,very nice.
I am always amazed at how miners/people got all that material to the locations with out our modern equipment.

Frank

You two always manage to find the neatest places. I'm finally getting a chance to get caught up on my Wander the Westing and your trip reports are a good way to start.

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom