The Creator of Pink Flamingo

For while years ago we had a tradition in the neighborhood called Flamingo Friday. Anyone who was so inclined would put a pink flamingo in the their front yard on a Friday afternoon. It signified an open invitation to folks in the neighborhood to drop by for a drink and a potluck supper. These gatherings often lasted into the night and were a great way to build friendships and community among neighbors.

Mr. 3pin, thanks for letting us know. Being an Airstreamer (or is that Airhead), the Pink Flamingo is an important part of kit.

On the humorous side, in the 1980's, my little health insurance company renovated an old department store when we grew to the point of needing new office space. As part of the renovation, there was a 10' by 30' hole cut in the first first floor that then looked down on a nice planter box in the basement where I dwelled. The CEO's wife was a novice interior designer, so the planter had nice exotic philodendrons, and was decked out with stuffed, exotic pheasants and other birds. Needless to say, some dirty no good scoundrels (basement dwellers) would on occasion remove the stuffed pheasants, and replace them with a flock of very pink plastic flamingos. The CEO saw the humor in it, but apparently his wife did not. I think she confiscated three sets of our flamingos before she gave up and let us have our prank. Ski, thanks for reminding me of times gone by.

I sent a pair to my father, anonymously. Oddly he knew who sent them. Short while later I get am email from him. the truck that I had parked on his driveway while away at college now had a new hood ornament, duct taped in place. Wish that I could find that picture......

Many decades ago there was a listing in the Oakland, California phone book for the "Home for Unwed Plastic Flamingos."
Not to be outdone, yours truly listed his phone as "West Coast Rent-a-Pest."

May Pink Plastic Flamingos continue to thrive in the wide variety of habitats to which they seem to adapt! I certainly hope they don't go the way of the plaster jockey now that their Creator has gone. (God is dead?)

Back
Top Bottom