The drive to Alaska

DirtyDog

Captain Leisure
Site Team
Hey Captain,

I have been wanting to make that trip for a while. What have been your most memorable experiences? Have you ever broken down? Before you got the Sportsmobile, what were you making the trip in?

First Alaska Trip part #1

The road first trip to Alaska was in 1995. I drove my 1979 Subaru 4X4 wagon. Made the trip in a little more than 3 days. I had been going to Anchorage and the Kenai Peninsula since 1990. Flew back in those days. Fishing was good and Alaska was to me the "Last Frontier". I fell in love with the state and have been going back ever since. By the way, my Subaru is still there and is parked at my house in Anchor Point. That is about 225 mile south of Anchorage down on the Kenai Peninsula. In 2003 I purchased a 1983 Dodge Xplorer class "B" Van.
It is almost 2200 miles from where I live on the Olympic Peninsula in Washington State to South Central Alaska. That would be the Anchorage Bowl area. I have never bothered to go to SE Alaska. That area seems to much like where I live. I drive from where I live to the Canadian border at Sumas. That's the truckers main entry point and the crossing is very easy. Once your in British Columbia you have two main routes that you can take to get to the state of Alaska. I head up toward Hope on HWY 1 and then on to Cash Creek. The first night is spent at a rest area just outside of Cash Creek. The first thing you notice when your in BC is the speed limits and mileage are all listed in kilometers. You learn 100 klicks is about 62 mph. Most of the speed posted is 100 kph. In July or August the road to Cash Creek is hot and and full of curves.. The road is good and there is lots to see. You travel down through the Frazer River Canyon area. There are many roadside views and a few really cool places to stop. Lots of Provincial Parks. I prefer to use rest areas or off the beaten path boondocking sites. Day two it's on the way to Prince George and the turn off to Burns Lake (HWY 16). More to follow...

Attachments

• XP on the lake_edited.jpg
    XP on the lake_edited.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 580
I'll have to get out my map and look for that route. I spent some time near Juneau working at a mine about 6 years ago. I've been wanting to go back and see more of Alaska ever since.

The road first trip to Alaska was in 1995. I drove my 1979 Subaru 4X4 wagon. Made the trip in a little more than 3 days. I had been going to Anchorage and the Kenai Peninsula since 1990. Flew back in those days. Fishing was good and Alaska was to me the "Last Frontier". I fell in love with the state and have been going back ever since. By the way, my Subaru is still there and is parked at my house in Anchor Point. That is about 225 mile south of Anchorage down on the Kenai Peninsula. In 2003 I purchased a 1983 Dodge Xplorer class "B" Van.

It is almost 2200 miles from where I live on the Olympic Peninsula in Washington State to South Central Alaska. That would be the Anchorage Bowl area. I have never bothered to go to SE Alaska. That area seems to much like where I live. I drive from where I live to the Canadian border at Sumas. That's the truckers main entry point and the crossing is very easy. Once your in British Columbia you have two main routes that you can take to get to the state of Alaska. I head up toward Hope on HWY 1 and then on to Cash Creek. The first night is spent at a rest area just outside of Cash Creek. The first thing you notice when your in BC is the speed limits and mileage are all listed in kilometers. You learn 100 klicks is about 62 mph. Most of the speed posted is 100 kph. In July or August the road to Cash Creek is hot and and full of curves.. The road is good and there is lots to see. You travel down through the Frazer River Canyon area. There are many roadside views and a few really cool places to stop. Lots of Provincial Parks. I prefer to use rest areas or off the beaten path boondocking sites. Day two it's on the way to Prince George and the turn off to Burns Lake (HWY 16). More to follow...

I'm glad Capt. K mentioned the speed issue. Last summer, on our way to the Queen Charlotte Islands, we were sailing along in a euphoric state (glad to be on vacation and in BC) on Hwy. 1 just south of Cache Creek when I recieved a speeding ticket from the nicest young RCMP officer that I've ever met. He was so courtious, and so friendly, and so interested in our travel plans that I just knew that once he was able to confirm the the authenticity of my drivers licence and registration, he would wish us well and send us on our way with a warning. Wrong!! As soon as he was done with us, he roared off after another victim. I suspect that this stretch of road is a money maker for the province and the local municipalities.

Richard

Thanks for the info Captain. I too am planning drive to Alaska, it's why we just bought our FWC. I have a friend with a scamper pop up cab over camper, one with an old coleman tent trailer and one that just sleeps in the back of the truck. We are all planning a caravan trip to AK next summer so any more info on the drive or favorite spots to stop would be much appreciated.

Rich,

I might want to tagalong... I'm planning on hitting the Arctic Circle next summer. Basic plan is to go mid-June, and take 3 weeks. Again, generally, planning on hitting a hotel every 3rd night type of trip as the wife will be with me. I am open to going solo, but a small caravan might be even more fun.

I've been as frugal as possible with my vacation, so will go into the trip with 3 weeks - and I can get shift trades for another week if I need it.

I am in the Denver metro area.

If i may,another route would be to take Vancouver Island up to Pt.Hardy then the over night B.C.ferry to Pr. Rupert.
Then Alaska State ferry north. The south bound trip, drive inland all the way back down south, as mentioned.
Lots of option when the $ are plentiful. Any hoot just a thought for ya.

Rich,

I might want to tagalong... I'm planning on hitting the Arctic Circle next summer. Basic plan is to go mid-June, and take 3 weeks. Again, generally, planning on hitting a hotel every 3rd night type of trip as the wife will be with me. I am open to going solo, but a small caravan might be even more fun.

I've been as frugal as possible with my vacation, so will go into the trip with 3 weeks - and I can get shift trades for another week if I need it.

I am in the Denver metro area.

Hi Ron,

Sounds good, we have one guy, the one with the coleman tent trailer coming from the Boulder CO area and we will meet somewhere up North. The trip is just in the pre-planning phase now but I'll post more as things get more firm so we can plan some meet ups and caravans for those interested. It would be great to see a big FWC caravan heading North!

If i may,another route would be to take Vancouver Island up to Pt.Hardy then the over night B.C.ferry to Pr. Rupert.
Then Alaska State ferry north. The south bound trip, drive inland all the way back down south, as mentioned.
Lots of option when the $ are plentiful. Any hoot just a thought for ya.

Yeah I've considered the ferry system. We are hoping to do a river trip on the kongakut which is pricey to get your gear flown in by bush plane so we may save the $$$ for that part of the trip but I'd love to get on the ferry system at some point.

If you want a caravan we might jump in at Watson Lake Yukon....
Lots of places to stop on the way. If you have or get a backroad of B.C. book it shows forest service sites. these are usually not far off the main road and are free. There are no facilities but never crowded. On highway 37 the Stewart Cassiar you can pull over almost anywhere. We are 13 miles from where highway 37 joins the alaska highway. I have been up the dempster highway to inuvik many times. My wife has never been up there. Or are you thinking of the arctic circle upto Deadhorse? We would be in for that too. What time of year? Anytime is fine for us if you don't mind a tag along?
robbie

I agree take the cassiar at least one way. alaska highway the other. The ferries are very expensive. motorcycle and driver from Haines Alaska to Bellingham 800.00. did not include a cabin..
Robbie

Back
Top Bottom