The Four Wheel Campers 'Eagle Overland' model

Old Crow

Searching....
While looking for something else, I ran onto an article in Truck Camper Magazine on the 2009 Eagle Overland model.

It's a pretty interesting build....

- A premium model for Tacoma, Frontier, Dakota, and Land Rover Defender
- 6 inches wider than a standard Eagle
- tan-color soft-sides
- bamboo floor
- Sharp 80w solar with Bluesky controller
- BlueSea electrical panels with digital or analog volt and amp meters
- Cramer appliances
- Truma furnace (1.1-amp draw)
- double-pane glass windows
- mini-Heki roof vent
- Kenwood speakers and Sirius satellite receiver
- $27,600 (about $32,000 in today's dollars)

TCM EXCLUSIVE: 2009 Four Wheel Camper Eagle Overland

This model was discussed a bit here on Wander The West in this 2009 Four Wheel Campers "Overland Models" thread (but the link there no longer goes to the article). And I see from the way Stan titled the article, it appears the Overland option was available for multiple models.

I'd love to know more about the Overland models. Without knowing more, I'd guess the one in the photos is a prototype built to start generating interest in this premium version but the market never really developed for it. Perhaps the idea was caught in the economic downturn at the time. (Or maybe there's a bunch of them out there I've just never heard about)

I wonder where that camper is today........

And if you're the owner of an Overland model, please, please, give us some info and photos....

I think Tom is still using 1 of these campers for his personal set up.

We might have only sold 1 other camper of this model.

Some good ideas came out of it, and other ideas didn't work so we never ended up offering them.

Most of the items became "options" for our camper models.

<<6 inches wider than a standard Eagle>> -- This is now our Fleet Model.

<<tan-color soft-sides>> -- This material was not as durable as the light grey pop-up up fabric we currently use, so we stopped offering the tan fabric.

<<bamboo floor>> -- It didn't hold up for off road camping use. We ripped it out and never ended up offering it.

<<Sharp 80w solar with Bluesky control>> -- Our new system is 160 Watt panel with an Overland Solar MPPT charge controller.

<<BlueSea electrical panels>> -- This is now standard in base model campers.

<<Cramer appliances>> -- Didn't hold up like we hoped for, so we stopped offering them.

<<Truma furnace>> -- Not available in the USA, or at least not something that we can get easily and a nationwide service centers are not around (as far as I know??)

<<double-pane glass windows>> -- Scratched too easily and were not holding up will mechanically, so we stayed with what we have not.

<<mini-Heki roof vent>> -- We had problems with the beauty ring trim warping on the inside due to summer heat, so we stopped offering them.

<<Kenwood speakers and Sirius satellite receiver>> -- Nobody was ordering the stereo option, so we stopped offering it. Bluetooth speakers and music from a phone seems to be the option of choice with customers these days.

Hope this helps.

Stan

Back
Top Bottom