The Grand Adventure - Summer 2018

ski3pin

Belay On
Site Team
We were gone a month. We put 3600 miles on the truck. The rhythm and routine of our style of travel settled into our bones. It was easy to wait for the sun in the early morning and a joy to sit out in the night with the stars above. Quiet mixed with the sound of a river or the wind in the trees completed our days.

It will take me a bit to work through the hundreds of photos and write a few lines of narrative. Be patient. I'll get it done.

Here are a few tidbits to hold you over until.....................

"Why are you doing it that way?" Dawn, the hardest working woman in Montana asked me. It was obvious she was amused with what she saw as stupidity.
"You need a T post jack," she explained. "I make 'em. Weld them up myself back at my place. But," she added, "You can take a chain and make several wraps right at the ground and pull 'em out with the loader on that cute little tractor."

"I have never seen a cast iron skillet so high in the sky in my life!" Four or five people stopped us to make that comment on a beautiful Sunday afternoon at the Daly Mansion.

"Oh, that's a little one. We don't need the camera for that one. I'll just bring the ghost net," the Lady said after I announced, once again, "Fish on!"
I brought the vividly colored cutthroat to her waiting net. I removed the fly and the Lady joyfully returned the trout to its watery fold.
"So," I asked as we watched in awe as the marvelous wild creature swam away. "A fourteen inch trout is now a 'little one'?"

After stopping at "the phone booth", Ted and Donna announced, "There's a carcass in Hayden!"

The Lady stopped dead in her tracks in the trail in front of me after the deep grunt, out of sight right ahead of us in the thicket of small lodgepole pines. "Bison or grizzly?" she quickly asked.

All parts are now completed -

Back to Montana! - August 2018

Kelly Creek, Idaho - August 2018

The High Lakes, Idaho - August 2018

Lemhi Pass, Idaho & Montana - September 2018

Bannack, Montana - September 2018

Yellowstone National Park - September 2018 - Part One

Yellowstone National Park - September 2018 - Part Two

Yellowstone National Park - September 2018 - Part Three

The Tetons, Gros Ventres, and Uintas - September 2018

All, thanks for your patience.

We are teaching a map & compass class this weekend. Classroom tomorrow and all day in the field Sunday. We've had lots of prep to do.

Most of the photos are done. I'll get to writing next week. Sorry to leave you hanging.

Ah, been wondering why we haven't heard from you lately. I won the bet (with myself) of what you were up to. Looking forward to the full report.

Well, he takes hundreds of pics for a weekender. Gone a month? In the old days I'd say he was still in the darkroom :)

Thanks for making my day with your fun comments! I know you want results and not excuses as to why this is taking time................

.....................and so it begins -

Back to Montana! - August 2018

More, much more to follow. Please enjoy! :)

Ted said:
No kidding! We were with them for part of the trip and even I keep checking back looking for the report to start.

PaulT said:
Patience, Grasshopper.
Don't tear the rice paper.
;)
Paul

billharr said:
Approaching the 10-day tease limit. ;-)

Lighthawk said:
Eagerly waiting ...

PaulT said:
Better send the dogs out to check on the Ski3pins. Could be they’re prepping that snow plow for winter. ;)

Paul

craig333 said:
Well, he takes hundreds of pics for a weekender. Gone a month? In the old days I'd say he was still in the darkroom :)

Great report. Looks like you guys had a blast.

Perhaps, a matched set of cast iron fry pans is in order for impromptu practice while boondocking. :)

Paul

Back
Top Bottom